"Black Panther" movie. Why is an all-black movie a victory for diversity?

I did. It makes sense that a movie set in a fictitious African nation would have a nearly all black cast. It also makes sense the characters based on Norse mythology would be ALL WHITE.A black valkyrie, or a black Heimdall, makes no sense.
`
I studied the "Prose Edda" which encompasses the myth of the Nordic gods (Odin, Thor, the Aesir, etc) The movie was NOT based on the Prose Edda but the Marvel comic books version of the Nordic gods, which definitely isn't canon. Marvel is free to adjust their own fantasy universe, the way they want.
`

Of course they are free to do it.

I was not arguing that they did not have the right to do it.

My point stands.

It makes sense that a movie set in a fictitious African nation would have a nearly all black cast.

It also makes sense the characters based, even indirectly, on Norse mythology would be ALL WHITE.A black valkyrie, or a black Heimdall, makes no sense.

“Nearly all black” is ok, but “nearly all white” isn’t white enough for ya? Picky, picky

The situations, while similar are different......

:lmao: How fucking ridiculous can you get?

There is nothing ridiculous about what I said, which is why you cut most of it.

It makes sense to have a movie set in a fictitious African natin to have a nearly all black cast.

I It also makes sense the characters based, even indirectly, on Norse mythology would be ALL WHITE.

A black valkyrie, or a black Heimdall, makes no sense.

`
I studied the "Prose Edda" which encompasses the myth of the Nordic gods (Odin, Thor, the Aesir, etc) The movie was NOT based on the Prose Edda but the Marvel comic books version of the Nordic gods, which definitely isn't canon. Marvel is free to adjust their own fantasy universe, the way they want.
`

My point stands.

It makes sense that a movie set in a fictitious African nation would have a nearly all black cast.

It also makes sense the characters based, even indirectly, on Norse mythology would be ALL WHITE.A black valkyrie, or a black Heimdall, makes no sense.

“Nearly all black” is ok, but “nearly all white” isn’t white enough for ya? Picky, picky

The situations, while similar are different.

It makes sense to have a movie set in a fictitious African natin to have a nearly all black cast.

I It also makes sense the characters based, even indirectly, on Norse mythology would be ALL WHITE.

The MCU Asgardians aren't even the same as the comic Asgardians. In the comics, so far as I know, they are actual gods. In the MCU, they made them into some sort of aliens.

In either case, I think that a little racial diversity does not have to hurt the whole. Yes, it would make sense for Asgardians to be white because of the mythology they are based on. However, having a few non-white characters in the MCU version of Asgard does not take away from the story, IMO. Similarly, yes, it makes sense to have the citizens of a fictional African country be black. However, were they to have added some non-black Wakandans, that also could have worked, given the right story. Having not seen the movie, I don't know if race played much of a part or if non-black Wakandan characters would have hurt the story, but I'm certain it is possible to write a Black Panther story in which some Wakandans are not black.

It does make sense to have Wakandans be black. Ginning up a bullshit story that would not contribute to the movie to justify having some non black Wakandans would hurt the movie as it adds MORE suspension of disbelief and wastes screen time without advancing the actual plot or character development.

Ditto Asgardians.

The big difference, I think, is that seeing a nearly all-white cast is (or has been) somewhat common in this kind of blockbuster action movie, while seeing a nearly all-black cast is far less common.

I agree.

It's all about the story context. In the case of the MCU Asgardians, the connection to actual Norse mythology is very loose. It is also easier, in some ways, to fiddle with the characters because they are aliens/gods, rather than humans. With Wakanda, it is a fictional nation, but one of humans. That might make adding racial diversity to Wakanda's citizens more difficult to swallow. However, I'm sure there is a story in which that could work. I agree that it seems unnecessary, though.

Perhaps it would have made more sense for the Thor movies to have racial diversity in the human characters, rather than the Asgardians. Because Norse mythology has such a minimal impact on my life, it never really bothered me. :dunno:

My point stands.

The situations, while similar are different.

The MCU Asgardians aren't even the same as the comic Asgardians. In the comics, so far as I know, they are actual gods. In the MCU, they made them into some sort of aliens.

In either case, I think that a little racial diversity does not have to hurt the whole. Yes, it would make sense for Asgardians to be white because of the mythology they are based on. However, having a few non-white characters in the MCU version of Asgard does not take away from the story, IMO. Similarly, yes, it makes sense to have the citizens of a fictional African country be black. However, were they to have added some non-black Wakandans, that also could have worked, given the right story. Having not seen the movie, I don't know if race played much of a part or if non-black Wakandan characters would have hurt the story, but I'm certain it is possible to write a Black Panther story in which some Wakandans are not black.

It does make sense to have Wakandans be black. Ginning up a bullshit story that would not contribute to the movie to justify having some non black Wakandans would hurt the movie as it adds MORE suspension of disbelief and wastes screen time without advancing the actual plot or character development.

Ditto Asgardians.

The big difference, I think, is that seeing a nearly all-white cast is (or has been) somewhat common in this kind of blockbuster action movie, while seeing a nearly all-black cast is far less common.

I agree.

It's all about the story context. In the case of the MCU Asgardians, the connection to actual Norse mythology is very loose. It is also easier, in some ways, to fiddle with the characters because they are aliens/gods, rather than humans. With Wakanda, it is a fictional nation, but one of humans. That might make adding racial diversity to Wakanda's citizens more difficult to swallow. However, I'm sure there is a story in which that could work. I agree that it seems unnecessary, though.

Perhaps it would have made more sense for the Thor movies to have racial diversity in the human characters, rather than the Asgardians. Because Norse mythology has such a minimal impact on my life, it never really bothered me. :dunno:

It would make sense to not be worrying about this is the 21st century.

Neither movie(s) needed diversity.

Hey oil slick. If blacks can do technology in a movie, why can't they do it in real life?
Hey monkey. Why cant whites do technology in real life? I challenged you to a technological test but you ran because technology is too tough for you.

Whites can't do technology??? HAHAHA It's whites who invent everything, while blacks do nothing of any value to america. Blacks have 4 career choices

1. crime

2. welfare

3..pro sports

4. useless social work jobs they get thru affirmative action

Where is the black steven jobs or thomas edison or henry ford?

Nobody is complaining about the casting.
`Ya think? Considering the title; "Why is an all-black movie a victory for diversity", it seems like someone is overwrought about it. It seems like the OP feels more whites should have been cast in it.
`

Stupid jackass!!! You don't understand what this thread is about. Nothing wrong with all-black movies. The problem is it's being touted as a victory for diversity!!!!!!!

Hey oil slick. If blacks can do technology in a movie, why can't they do it in real life?
Hey monkey. Why cant whites do technology in real life? I challenged you to a technological test but you ran because technology is too tough for you.

Whites can't do technology??? HAHAHA It's whites who invent everything, while blacks do nothing of any value to america. Blacks have 4 career choices

1. crime

2. welfare

3..pro sports

4. useless social work jobs they get thru affirmative action

Where is the black steven jobs or thomas edison or henry ford?
How did I become a VoIP Network Engineer then?

You still down to do a technology test with me or are you still afraid? :laugh:

`Ya think? Considering the title; "Why is an all-black movie a victory for diversity", it seems like someone is overwrought about it. It seems like the OP feels more whites should have been cast in it.
`

Stupid jackass!!! You don't understand what this thread is about. Nothing wrong with all-black movies. The problem is it's being touted as a victory for diversity!!!!!!!
Do you know what diversity means?

`

It's a victory for diversity because up until this point, majority of major superhero movies have had predominantly white cast.

This movie goes against the norms of that.

`
Let me get this straight, you started this thread because you feel offended about a fantasy movie. How precious. Whatever turns your crank buddy no one is touting this movie as a victory for diversity.....except maybe you. That means, you'd be arguing with yourself. Cool.
`

One of the things that was really cool about this movie was that all the Black people I saw were dressed up in African inspired clothing to view the movie. Since I got my DNA results I was able to wear an outfit that was pretty close to what my African ancestors would have worn.

Basse-def-ne-pas-imprimer-3822.jpg

I havent seen it yet but I am convinced that it is one of the great films of our generation.

Wales an 'independent nation' in Black Panther

Black Panther has been praised for the positive image it presents of Africa through the fictional country of Wakanda.
The film has also got viewers excited over another country it seemingly paints in an empowering light.
When Wakanda's King T'Challa presents at the United Nations, he stands on stage alongside a Welsh flag.

In the world of Wakanda we are an independent nation. It is a better world.

Diolch un fawr iawn.

Forum List

Back