Black History Month

It should come right after Irish History Month.

Irish History Month is next month

St-Patricks-Day-Parade-01%20033%20copy.jpg

Last edited:
it was fun for a while.

I turned on the History channel everyday to get something new.

but every year it was a repeat from the year before.

now it's just a reminder of the double standard in America that we have for racism.

Jet and Ebony magazines.

All black colleges

NAACP

and so forth.

What is the purpose of this thread? Why not ask what one thinks of St. Patrick's Day Parades, or Columbus Day Parades?

it's a public message board, where we come to have conversations, such as they are.

And since it's Black History month, it's a good time to talk about it.

Now it he brought it up during Hispanic History week... Well, THAT would be :cuckoo:

When I was an instructor at the Navy's Basic Hospital Corpsman Class A School (we called it Corps School) in the middle 80s, we had an instructor named HM1 Smith. Every February, Smitty, his actual name, would insert his picture among the prominent black Navy personnel that was on display on the quarterdeck. The Corps School quarterdeck was semi-formal with the Corpsman MOH citations, pictures of ships named after Corpsmen, and of course the pictures of the famous African Americans. We had a grouch of a CO and everyone thought that when he noticed Smitty's mug among those being honored, he would freak out. Instead, he just shook his head and kept walking. Doc Smith did that all three Februarys that we were stationed there. He was a great guy, a hell of a teacher, and a good friend. Years later I learned that Smitty took his own life. The Navy and America are missing a national treasure and every February I think of Smitty. Rest in Peace bud.

What is your opinion about black history month?

Please, no racism

When I see anything about Black History Month, I don't associate negativity with it. In fact it reminds me of two of my favorite black persons, who made a huge difference in the history of black Americans and those are, MLK and my highest fave, Rosa Parks.

Nonviolence requires much more courage than violence.

What is your opinion about black history month?

Please, no racism

When I see anything about Black History Month, I don't associate negativity with it. In fact it reminds me of two of my favorite black persons, who made a huge difference in the history of black Americans and those are, MLK and my highest fave, Rosa Parks.

Nonviolence requires much more courage than violence.

ya know

For all I know, Aqua could be the most brilliant poster ever or dumb as a stump.

those avi's :eusa_drool::clap2::eusa_drool:

Come on, do we really need to take 28 days out of every year to remind everybody that George Washington Carver invented peanutbutter? Next topic!

I kid, of course. There's still so much racial division in this country that anything we can do to eliminate the divisiveness is a beautiful thing. One of the things I'm most tired of in American politics is the race bating done on both sides of the isle. The less ignorant the average citizen is about people who aren't the same shade of green he is, the more likely that particular brand of rhetoric is to fly in one ear and out the other without disturbing any of the gray matter in between.

Forum List

Back