Black GOP Official Resigns, Citing Arizona Tea Party Threats

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
PHP4D2D045C53EE3.jpg

The sole black Republican Party district chairman in Arizona resigned from his post in the wake of Saturday's shooting, citing threats from the Tea Party faction and concerns for his family's safety.

District Chairman Anthony Miller and several others resigned.

Miller, a 43-year-old Ahwatukee Foothills resident and former campaign worker for U.S. Sen. John McCain, was re-elected to a second one-year term last month. He said constant verbal attacks after that election and Internet blog posts by some local members with Tea Party ties made him worry about his family's safety.

The first and only African-American to hold the party's precinct chairmanship, Miller said he has been called "McCain's boy," and during the campaign saw a critic form his hand in the shape of a gun and point it at him.

"I wasn't going to resign but decided to quit after what happened Saturday," Miller said. "I love the Republican Party but I don't want to take a bullet for anyone."

His resignation comes in the wake of the attempted assassination of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Tucson), and the killing of several others, including a federal judge, at a political rally over the weekend. Although there have been no links discovered between the shooter, Jared Loughner, and the Tea Party, political opponents have blamed the movement and one of its major figures, former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, for creating an atmosphere that encourages violence.

Last month, Miller was re-elected to his second term as district chairman following the November general election, which saw Democratic incumbents like U.S. Rep. Harry Mitchell (D-Ariz.) and state Rep. Rae Waters (D-Ahwatukee Foothills) unseated in favor of Republican candidates.

Miller said the recent party election involved infighting between Miller and his allies and a "radical" local Tea Party faction calling itself the "New Vision" slate.

"There's trouble within the Republican Party," he said. "I'm seeing this new faction, the Sarah Palin type of Republicans."

The Arizona Republic

Ahwatukee Foothills News

Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism.
Barry Goldwater

He's an idiot. The shooting had no connection to the TEA Parties. I dare say the GOP is better off without cowardly, irrational representatives.

If someone had pulled their tie over their head in noose fashion, he would have had a reason to fear. XXXXXXX-Edited

reversible-noose-tie-1.jpg

He's an idiot. The shooting had no connection to the TEA Parties. I dare say the GOP is better off without cowardly, irrational representatives.

Yea, what a fucking coward. Can you imagine this wuss taking it personally when he is called 'boy' and someone forms their hand in the shape of a gun and pulls the trigger?

Just a cowardly, irrational wuss...

If he's not a coward he should name names and persue the persons who attacked him. But to make accusations without the facts to back it up is just more of the same political hackery.

Another McCain malcontent. He needs to hitch his wagon to a national figure who isn't a loser.

McCain has represented Arizona in the Senate since 1987. Don't the people of Arizona get to decide who their representative is, or does the Tea party decide?

For folks who profess strict adherence to the Constitution, you have not problem ignoring it when it doesn't fit your agenda, or the candidate won't pass your 'purity test'. What next, 2nd amendment solutions?

"What is true of every member of the society, individually, is true of them all collectively; since the rights of the whole can be no more than the sum of the rights of the individuals." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1789. ME 7:455, Papers 15:393

I guess, by mentioning it, he feels that being called McCain's boy" has racial undertones, but other than that this is a good ?

Yep a growing political tactic which is supported by many and apologized for by many as well.
As proven by posts in this thread.

Another McCain malcontent. He needs to hitch his wagon to a national figure who isn't a loser.

McCain has represented Arizona in the Senate since 1987. Don't the people of Arizona get to decide who their representative is, or does the Tea party decide?

For folks who profess strict adherence to the Constitution, you have not problem ignoring it when it doesn't fit your agenda, or the candidate won't pass your 'purity test'. What next, 2nd amendment solutions?

"What is true of every member of the society, individually, is true of them all collectively; since the rights of the whole can be no more than the sum of the rights of the individuals." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1789. ME 7:455, Papers 15:393

McCain's flacks, like McCain, spend most of their time attacking other Republicans. They have to answer for that.

Yea, what a fucking coward. Can you imagine this wuss taking it personally when he is called 'boy' and someone forms their hand in the shape of a gun and pulls the trigger?

Just a cowardly, irrational wuss...

Boy is a word. Forming your hand into the shape of a gun and pointing it at someone will not kill them. Face them. Front them. Call them out. But resign? Seriously. Dude needs a spine.

Forum List

Back