Black Friday...

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
I've never, ever, never, ever, ever, never and just haven't...

Shopped on this Day...

Is it worth it?.....:dunno:

-----------------------------------------------:thanks:

A deadly stampede outside a Wal-Mart store last year, jittery retail executives who began slashing prices weeks ago, and growing online sales are causing some pundits to pronounce “Black Friday” dead.

The level of concern befits a phenomenon that has always had an element of mythology. Yes, millions of people rush to stores early on the day after Thanksgiving. And no, it’s not everyone in the United States. The number of Black Friday shoppers has never approached the number of people celebrating Thanksgiving. Why not?

(Well .. ah.. you could go to the link.. for the rest)...:coffee:

Book of Odds: The Odds of Shopping on Black Friday

Last edited:
They're trying to bring it across the pond to the UK.... Don't know how that's gonna work.... They don't have a long weekend here.

Funny story about Thanksgiving, I mentioned that it's Thanksgiving this week to an English friend. She asked what that is, so I explained it to her and she wondered why the Brits don't celebrate it. LMAO. I suggested it might be because they have nothing to celebrate. *Snicker*

I don't go to the big box stores but I do go to the nice specialty shops on Friday and possibly an outdoor mall. I want to do my part to get retail going but it just kills me to stand in long lines, deal with crazy shoppers, etc..

Driving is hard enough. It should be more fun than what it's become.

They're trying to bring it across the pond to the UK.... Don't know how that's gonna work.... They don't have a long weekend here.

Funny story about Thanksgiving, I mentioned that it's Thanksgiving this week to an English friend. She asked what that is, so I explained it to her and she wondered why the Brits don't celebrate it. LMAO. I suggested it might be because they have nothing to celebrate. *Snicker*

They have free health care free education and the dole. Whats not to love and be thankful for?

I've never, ever, never, ever, ever, never and just haven't...

Shopped on this Day...

Is it worth it?.....:dunno:

-----------------------------------------------:thanks:

A deadly stampede outside a Wal-Mart store last year, jittery retail executives who began slashing prices weeks ago, and growing online sales are causing some pundits to pronounce “Black Friday” dead.

The level of concern befits a phenomenon that has always had an element of mythology. Yes, millions of people rush to stores early on the day after Thanksgiving. And no, it’s not everyone in the United States. The number of Black Friday shoppers has never approached the number of people celebrating Thanksgiving. Why not?

(Well .. ah.. you could go to the link.. for the rest)...:coffee:

Book of Odds: The Odds of Shopping on Black Friday

Once. Just once did I dare venture out into the madness and I'll never do it again! Most years I have to work on Black Friday and I always feel like I should put a sign in my back window that reads .... I'M GOING TO WORK! I'M NOT GOING SHOPPING!!! But this Friday I have off!!! :woohoo:

It's sad though, that Sears will be open for the first time in their history on Thanksgiving Day. From what I've heard, stores are opening even earlier in the morning, giving shoppers even more time to grab the hot deals!

I figure black friday deals will be sought after and then the rest of the shopping season will be pretty dismal.

Perhaps.
I think the entire shopping season is going to be dismal regardless. Sure, some folks may be getting some great deals on Friday, but I believe the closer we get to Christmas Eve, the better the deals are going to get. Just sayin'.

Here Black Friday always brings First Day of Hunting Season Monday. They close businesses and even the schools, not necessarily because first graders are out hunting but because it's not safe for the kids in buses on the country roads. People here are crazy and occasionally out in the woods and fields armed and drunk. Correction: I should say the out of towners who've watched Deer Hunter one too many times and decided to give it a try come out occasionally armed and drunk. :eusa_shhh:

Every year there are people who end up with bullets in their houses, cars, livestock, two years ago a woman's dog was shot...while she was walking it on a leash.

Late November is not my favorite time of year. I'm going to go from Black Friday through next Tuesday without leaving the house if I can help it. :lol:

Last edited:
I bought a $49 Smith and Wesson tactical everyday watch for $19 at Big 5 yesterday (mon.). I initially was going to get one that was on sale but I didn't like it. I saw one I liked next to it but it wasn't on sale. I told the high school kid clerk that I didn't want to spend $49 for an everyday watch. She said that the watch I liked had just gone off sale and she would check if I could still get the sale price. She scanned it through the register and it ok'd the $19 price. Made my day.
If it had been Black Friday, I probably would not have even found a clerk to help me. I don't shop on Black Fridays.

Well .. so far, put on the old hockey gear and stand in line...

Fun, I don't think so...:uhoh3:

I'm considering taking that 40 mile ride to the closest mall shopping complex (Bangor Maine) just to see how big the crowds are and how people are spending and on what kinds of things, too.

I don't especially like shopping, but I don't mind watching other people shop.

I dropped my brother off at his job this morning... at 4 fucking AM. Ridiculous. There was a line that stretched along the front of the building, then all along the side. And it's like 10 degrees out. There's some good deals on, but I don't think the collective psychosis is worth the discount. People get crazy when they're trying to save a dollar.

Forum List

Back