Black confederate soldiers

Patrick2

Jul 12, 2011
I'm just presenting this as a historical peculiarity - nobody needs to get their panties in a twist. Thousands of blacks served in the confederate army, technically as soldiers. They were assigned such jobs as teamsters and building fortifications, but weren't armed.

Early in the war, some southerners saw that the confederacy might be overwhelmed by the north's huge manpower advantage, and suggested that they would have to enlist some of the slaves, promising freedom as a reward. This was shouted down early in the war. However, in early 1865, none other than jefferson davis saw it as a necessity, and Robert E. Lee concurred. Davis submitted a bill for that to the confederate congress. It was passed by the lower house, but defeated by one vote in the senate. Both virginia senators voted no. Ironically, a couple months later, virginia was the only southern state to bring blacks under arms: they created two all black confederate regiments. But the war ended a short time later, and the regiments never saw combat.

Last edited:
They tell me that the role of blacks in the Confederacy has been immensely exaggerated so as to pander to PC interests. The Confederate groups in particular love this story line because it makes them look good. But the facts don't back it up.

It doesn't matter anyway. I don't support slavery -- actually, it was a terrible idea for all involved -- but that's what the Confederacy was trying to protect, not "states' rights" and other bullshit.

What matters to me is whites today, and where they're going. I appreciate that the South is over-bashed, that Yankees are hypocrites, that Abe Lincoln would have sent them back to Africa, etc. I smile when I see a Confederate flag on a truck -- it's a healthy symbol of white resistance. But you can't ever revise history to the point that the Confederacy was a multiracial military. It just wasn't.

Forum List

Back