Black cod aka sable fish

Jan 18, 2020
I love to cook. That doesn't mean that I'm an expert, but I don't let Ms. Lucid boil eggs because she just doesn't do them correctly.

;-)

A while ago, I made Miso Black Cod and it was the best thing I've ever made--seriously. Not only did it taste great but it looked fabulous. Mahogany on the edges, reddish brown in the transition, and tan in the center. Just beautiful.

Here's the recipe that I followed but there are many more if one searches for Miso Black Cod. I consider this a go-to site for Japanese recipes.

Just One Cookbook • A Japanese food blog with hundreds of authentic home-cook recipes. Detailed step-by-step photos, easy to follow instructions, and YouTube videos to show you how to cook Japanese food at home.

I did not give the link for the recipe, just the site where I found the recipe.

Anyways, I told you that so that I could tell you this.

;-)

I saw some Black Cod in the store today and prepared it a different way.

3 tbls of lemon juice. ( I think lime would work and might even be better)
2 tbls of rice vinegar
1 tbls of soy sauce
1 tbls of Chinese wine. Often Sherry is used as a substitute. It's sweet component so I suspect sugar would also work

Mix all of the above ingredients together and reduce to thicken.

Salt and pepper the fish.

pour reduction on fish

Put into a 425 degree oven for ~12 minutes

garnish with green onions.

I read about it before I ever saw it. I stumbled into Whole Foods one day and they had it in stock. I couldn't resist and bought it and assembled the Miso Black Cod recipe that I had read so much about.

I've never seen it anywhere besides Whole Foods. They're a good purveyor of sustainable seafood according to Monterey Bay. They are noted experts on that issue according to multiple resources I've read including Four Fishes.

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Fish-Fu...efix=four+fishes,aps,131&sr=8-1&tag=ff0d01-20

A very good book. btw, if one is interested in such things.

Anyways, Black Cod is a truly wonderful fish imo. Check it out if you get the opportunity.

The link I posted says that one can do the Miso technique with other fish but I've never tried it.

I have seen Cod at the fish market
Never Black Cod

There's a third name that I had to look up because I couldn't recall it on my own; Butterfish. It is nothing like Pacific or Atlantic cod that one can typically find. Nothing at all like them and I say that as one who likes Pacific cod. Atlantic cod has sustainability issues unless it is sourced from Iceland--at least the last time I looked which was a few years ago.

Forum List

Back