Black church leaders: Gay marriage ‘not a civil rights issue’

as opposed to racism, which is not condoned in the bible.

You're kidding right? The bible was used as justification for slavery and for preventing interracial marriage.

Why the Ugly Rhetoric Against Gay Marriage Is Familiar to this Historian of Miscegenation

It was a wrong interpretation used for political gain, as the bible has been misused before, notably in the middle ages as a reason for the feudal system and serfdom.

Show me where in the bible that it says it is OK to be a racist. The one place you MAY find it is in the earlier OT, and those were based on the rules made by a small ethnic minority (the hebrews) trying to preserve thier way of life, not some technologically superior group of people turning less technically proficient people into chattel.

On the other hand, prohibitions against homosexuality are found in both testaments.

as opposed to racism, which is not condoned in the bible.

You're kidding right? The bible was used as justification for slavery and for preventing interracial marriage.

Why the Ugly Rhetoric Against Gay Marriage Is Familiar to this Historian of Miscegenation

It was a wrong interpretation used for political gain, as the bible has been misused before, notably in the middle ages as a reason for the feudal system and serfdom.

Show me where in the bible that it says it is OK to be a racist. The one place you MAY find it is in the earlier OT, and those were based on the rules made by a small ethnic minority (the hebrews) trying to preserve thier way of life, not some technologically superior group of people turning less technically proficient people into chattel.

On the other hand, prohibitions against homosexuality are found in both testaments.

LOL...the only part of the NT that discussing gays and lesbians is not talking about loving, consenting adult relationships. Not only that, it was the likely closeted St. Paul that was talking about it. :lol:

What has Jesus said on the subject? (is that crickets I hear?)

Funny that you would say that the OT is about "preserving their way of life" but that the NT was for the more "technologically superior". It's been about 2,000 years since the NT. We're even more "technically superior" to the men that wrote the NT. Racism...bad. Homophobia...bad too thanks to our "technological superiority".

LOL...the only part of the NT that discussing gays and lesbians is not talking about loving, consenting adult relationships. Not only that, it was the likely closeted St. Paul that was talking about it. :lol:

What has Jesus said on the subject? (is that crickets I hear?)

Funny that you would say that the OT is about "preserving their way of life" but that the NT was for the more "technologically superior". It's been about 2,000 years since the NT. We're even more "technically superior" to the men that wrote the NT. Racism...bad. Homophobia...bad too thanks to our "technological superiority".

Using the old "St Paul was a gaybo" line is the same tactic used when smearing J Edgar Hoover (cross dresser, blah). There are no compelling facts proving either case.

You also misunderstand me when I talk about the difference between percieved support of slavery in the bible and how it was seen by the southerners before the civil war. Southern use of the bible to "prove" chattel slavery was morally acceptable only occured as a response to Northern abolitionist use of the bible to condemn them as sinners and apostates. The southerners, being a religous lot themselves, could not like being called this, and thus went into the bible looking for proof of thier morality. Like any person with a pre-concived notion, they looked and found what they were looking for, no matter how flawed thier logic.

The technological superiority I refer to is that between western civilization around 1500-1861 and that of Africa.

From Romans 1:

"Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. (27) In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

I dont see where this condemnation is limited to non-consensual, loving relationships. It seems pretty clear to me that it comdemns homosexuality as a perversion.

I am not a literal translator of the bible, or even a very religous person, but the text here tells me "Homosexuality Bad" and thats what the more conservative Black Churches see when they read it, and they do belive in the text.

Black church leaders: Gay marriage ‘not a civil rights issue’

5/31/12 Videography by Sarah Hofmann

The Daily Caller attended a meeting Wednesday morning held by the Congressional Black Caucus and the Conference of National Black Churches.

At the event, TheDC asked attendees if they thought it was fair to compare the fight to legalize same sex marriage with the civil rights struggles of the 1960s.

VIDEO: Black church leaders: Gay marriage ‘not a civil rights issue’ – Patriot Update

Figures. Anything related to the rights of blacks is automatically a civil right, but when it comes to the rights of others, they don't give a shit.

You're a sweetheart........ Thanks for caring about America.

I hope gay people are granted the right to marry one day. They will eventually, it will just take some time, and a lot of patience.

Forum List

Back