Black Barbie Sold for Less Than White Barbie at Walmart Store Raises Eyebrows

Jan 17, 2010
Mississippi
I don't see this as a big deal but there is always someone who wants to play the race card when there is no racial problem present. This is a non issue that ABC should have never reported on.

Walmart: Black Barbie Sold Cheaper Than White Barbie at Store - ABC News

Walmart is raising eyebrows after cutting the price of a black Barbie doll to nearly half of that of the doll's white counterpart at one store and possibly others.

Pricing like items differently is a part of inventory management in retailing," O'Brien said.

But critics say Walmart should have been more sensitive in its pricing choice.

"The implication of the lowering of the price is that's devaluing the black doll," said Thelma Dye, the executive director of the Northside Center for Child Development, a Harlem, N.Y. organization founded by pioneering psychologists and segregation researchers Kenneth B. Clark and Marnie Phipps Clark.

"Most white parents wouldn't think to buy a black doll for their child, even if they believe in equality and all those things," she said.

Black Barbie has soul and heart.

The lady costs less less than blonde Barbie.

But she demands more than any Barbie.

You have to give her your heart and soul.

Last edited:
You could buy a black Barbie cheaply to do the Barbie dream house work for the white Barbie. Ken could be tapping her behind white Barbie's back... Would make a good Barbie soap opry.

Blonde barbie costs more to manufacture, once you factor in butt and tit implants. You would force them to sell her at a loss? Or you'd rather be overcharged for Sistah Barbarie?

You could buy a black Barbie cheaply to do the Barbie dream house work for the white Barbie. Ken could be tapping her behind white Barbie's back... Would make a good Barbie soap opry.
Reminds me of actual incident witnessed at a area Wal-Mart.

Granny with granddaughter, who was 13, 14 or so.

Granny: Look Janie... Here's Ken. You want a Ken to go with your Barbie?

Janie: No maw-maw, I want a GI Joe.

Granny: Don't be silly, Barbie comes with Ken.

Janie: No maw-maw, she only pretends with Ken. She COMES with GI Joe!

My daughter had black Barbies, one lady made a comment to her once (we took her to the swimming pool one day) asking why she had a 'colored' doll.

Yeah, it was 2001. :cuckoo:

My daughter had black Barbies, one lady made a comment to her once (we took her to the swimming pool one day) asking why she had a 'colored' doll.

Yeah, it was 2001. :cuckoo:

I'da said 'Barbie's going Green and she needs a plow that doesn't use fossil fuels.'

Quite the conundrum for the black walmart shopper indeed.

To be thankful for a bargain or offended by a faux racial slight. :lol:

What was the manufacturer thinking?

I am presuming that WalMart didn't set the price, but merely took its normal markup, of course.

Quite the conundrum for the black walmart shopper indeed.

To be thankful for a bargain or offended by a faux racial slight. :lol:
Right.

At least 'The Man' isn't price gouging and 'sticking it to' the blacks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG-VB5xb6KM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG-VB5xb6KM[/ame]

Last edited:

I am presuming that WalMart didn't set the price, but merely took its normal markup, of course.

WMs normal markup originally had both Barbies selling for the same price. After some period of time they had more black Barbies in inventory than white, so they marked the black ones down to spur sales. Same as they do with other products every day.

For anyone to think there's a racial angle to it is because they want a racial angle to it.

WMs normal markup originally had both Barbies selling for the same price. After some period of time they had more black Barbies in inventory than white, so they marked the black ones down to spur sales. Same as they do with other products every day.

For anyone to think there's a racial angle to it is because they want a racial angle to it.

Thanks for pointing out what should be obvious. But obvious is often overlooked by those with an agenda.

One wonders how this story would unfold if it were the white barbie that was 50% off.

I don't see this as a big deal but there is always someone who wants to play the race card when there is no racial problem present. This is a non issue that ABC should have never reported on.

Walmart: Black Barbie Sold Cheaper Than White Barbie at Store - ABC News

Walmart is raising eyebrows after cutting the price of a black Barbie doll to nearly half of that of the doll's white counterpart at one store and possibly others.

Pricing like items differently is a part of inventory management in retailing," O'Brien said.

But critics say Walmart should have been more sensitive in its pricing choice.

"The implication of the lowering of the price is that's devaluing the black doll," said Thelma Dye, the executive director of the Northside Center for Child Development, a Harlem, N.Y. organization founded by pioneering psychologists and segregation researchers Kenneth B. Clark and Marnie Phipps Clark.

"Most white parents wouldn't think to buy a black doll for their child, even if they believe in equality and all those things," she said.

I did.

If the Barbie doll you want to buy costs less....why would you complain?

New Topics

Forum List

Back