Black Atheletes Run Very, Very Well - Really A Racist Statement?

Mr. P said:
completely bogus.

So why bogus then? I think the argument is that slave owners wanted the biggest strongest workers they could get, so those were the ones who survived. The weaker, slower worker ones, were killed.

Do you think it's bogus just because it didn't happen over a long enough period to significantly effect the gene pool?

The ClayTaurus said:
So why bogus then? I think the argument is that slave owners wanted the biggest strongest workers they could get, so those were the ones who survived. The weaker, slower worker ones, were killed.

Do you think it's bogus just because it didn't happen over a long enough period to significantly effect the gene pool?

So they had the Slave Olympics? The strongest and fastest were put on a boat and the rest were killed.

Damn....wonder what that Silver Medal presentation looked like.

GotZoom said:
So they had the Slave Olympics? The strongest and fastest were put on a boat and the rest were killed.

Damn....wonder what that Silver Medal presentation looked like.

No, once they were over here. The argument is based on what happened after they got to the states, not before.

The ClayTaurus said:
No, once they were over here. The argument is based on what happened after they got to the states, not before.

Same Olympics...just a different country?

The reason we see more black athletes than white, yellow or purple athletes is cultural, not biological. Many black athletes grew up poor in inner-city areas. Kids who grow up poor and have fewer toys have to find ways to entertain themselves, so they play outside more which leads to more running, jumping and playing games like basketball, baseball, etc. Have any of you ever been to a boys and girls club or driven through the ghetto? Everybody is outside and most kids have some kind of ball in their hand or are doing something athletic, even if it's just walking. Hell, I grew up with black kids who would race each other in their yards for fun. Plus, atheletics is pushed and emphasized in black culture because it is an easy way to escape poverty.

GotZoom said:
Same Olympics...just a different country?

I'm missing what you're trying to get at... do you think that there was manipulation of the gene pool during slavery, intentional or not?

Hagbard Celine said:
The reason we see more black athletes than white, yellow or purple athletes is cultural, not biological. Many black athletes grew up poor in inner-city areas. Kids who grow up poor and have fewer toys have to find ways to entertain themselves, so they play outside more which leads to more running, jumping and playing games like basketball, baseball, etc.

It is true that you rarely see excellent athletes come from very well-to-do households, however there are tons of poor white kids as well. And have you been to China Town? Plenty of poor asians there too...

The ClayTaurus said:
It is true that you rarely see excellent athletes come from very well-to-do households, however there are tons of poor white kids as well. And have you been to China Town? Plenty of poor asians there too...

Don't tell that to gymnasts, swimmers, archers, shooters, equestrian participants, etc...

Look to basketball in Europe Total opposite racial make-up of teams.

Does this mean that the only truly talented African-Americans live in the United States?

GotZoom said:
Don't tell that to gymnasts, swimmers, archers, shooters, equestrian participants, etc...

Look to basketball in Europe Total opposite racial make-up of teams.

Does this mean that the only truly talented African-Americans live in the United States?

There's no money in those sports, though. Probably not a coincidence...

The ClayTaurus said:

Yeah..true....

In fact, I saw Nadia Comaneci, Bart Conner and Mark Spitz down at the welfare office the other day.

The ClayTaurus said:
Well, there is for futbol players and there definately is if those athletes can get corporate sponsorships, but I think GotZoom is completely misinterpreting what you wrote. We can't exactly address the racial stereotypes assigned to blacks in other countries because we don't know what they are. Is the stereotype of blacks being better athletes even an issue in Europe? Plus Europe is mostly populated by Caucasians and most minority groups are very small so it would stand to reason that obviously more athletes there would be white.

And Zoom, nobody even insinuated that blacks from other countries aren't as good athletes as blacks in America.

We're discussing an American stereotype. I don't think the stereotype is one that is worldwide. It's an American cultural thing, so we would obviously only be concerned with the main American sports, which blacks are most attracted to: Football, Baseball and Basketball.

GotZoom said:
Yeah..true....

In fact, I saw Nadia Comaneci, Bart Conner and Mark Spitz down at the welfare office the other day.

You're taking the devil's advocate thing a bit far, friend.

Hagbard Celine said:
Well, there is for futbol players and there definately is if those athletes can get corporate sponsorships, but I think GotZoom is completely misinterpreting what you wrote. We can't exactly address the racial stereotypes assigned to blacks in other countries because we don't know what they are. Is the stereotype of blacks being better athletes even an issue in Europe? Plus Europe is mostly populated by Caucasians and most minority groups are very small so it would stand to reason that obviously more athletes there would be white.

And Zoom, nobody even insinuated that blacks from other countries aren't as good athletes as blacks in America.

We're discussing an American stereotype. I don't think the stereotype is one that is worldwide. It's an American cultural thing, so we would obviously only be concerned with the main American sports, which blacks are most attracted to: Football, Baseball and Basketball.

I would say that the driving force behind why ANYONE tries to become a professional athelete is moolah.

Does one race have a better anatomical make-up than another? One more condusive to be better at atheltics? Sure, it's possible.

But that alone doesn't make you the superstar, multi-millionaire athlete.

Desire, practice, coaching, etc. It's all the complete package.

Perhaps the question should be...... Why do African-American's feel that their ONLY way out of the "ghetto" or only way to be successful is through athletics? Why do Caucasians accept, understand, and strive for more diverse ways to become successful than just settling on one; athletics?

Perhaps the question should be...... Why do African-American's feel that their ONLY way out of the "ghetto" or only way to be successful is through athletics? Why do Caucasians accept, understand, and strive for more diverse ways to become successful than just settling on one; athletics?
Well, I don't know that poor whites do strive to be successful more than blacks do. I think athletics or maybe competition may be a bigger influence on blacks than it is on whites because of culture. Living in the inner city also gives blacks more frequent and easier access to basketball playgrounds and baseball diamonds than poor white kids who live in rural areas. I also think that there is a common perception, real or not, within black culture that it is harder for black people to succeed in "the white man's world." Being poor and black does make it harder for them to succeed educationally. Plus they see other black athletes wearing their bling and riding in bentleys and I think it adds to the idea that athletics is the way out for them.

Hagbard Celine said:
Well, I don't know that poor whites do strive to be successful more than blacks do. I think athletics or maybe competition may be a bigger influence on blacks than it is on whites because of culture. Living in the inner city also gives blacks more frequent and easier access to basketball playgrounds and baseball diamonds than poor white kids who live in rural areas. I also think that there is a common perception, real or not, within black culture that it is harder for black people to succeed in "the white man's world." Being poor and black does make it harder for them to succeed educationally. Plus they see other black athletes wearing their bling and riding in bentleys and I think it adds to the idea that athletics is the way out for them.
I don't even think the kid gets a fair shake, when all of his teachers are probably instilling this white man's world thing.

Forum List

Back