Black Atheletes Run Very, Very Well - Really A Racist Statement?

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I just don't see it. Actually a compliment if you ask me.

------

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Air Force Academy is looking into comments made by longtime football coach Fisher DeBerry, who said black athletes "run very, very well" and that the program lacks minority athletes.

The 67-year-old DeBerry, in his 22nd year at Air Force, first mentioned the academy's lack of minority players compared to other schools on Monday.

"We were looking at things, like you don't see many minority athletes in our program," DeBerry was quoted as saying in The Gazette of Colorado Springs.

DeBerry elaborated on his comments during his weekly luncheon Tuesday.

"It just seems to be that way, that Afro-American kids can run very, very well. That doesn't mean that Caucasian kids and other descents can't run, but it's very obvious to me they run extremely well," DeBerry said in remarks broadcast Tuesday night by Denver television station KWGN.

Academy officials released a statement Tuesday, saying they were aware of the remarks.

"We cannot comment further until we have a chance to review all the reports, the coach's actual statements and to speak with the coach personally," academy spokesman Lt. Col Laurent Fox said.

DeBerry is the winningest coach in service academy history with a record of 161-94-1. He has had 17 winning seasons and won 12 bowl games.

This season, the Falcons are struggling. The team lost 48-10 to No. 20 TCU on Saturday, dropping to 3-5 overall and 2-4 in the Mountain West Conference.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5025942

GotZoom said:
I just don't see it. Actually a compliment if you ask me.

------

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Air Force Academy is looking into comments made by longtime football coach Fisher DeBerry, who said black athletes "run very, very well" and that the program lacks minority athletes.

The 67-year-old DeBerry, in his 22nd year at Air Force, first mentioned the academy's lack of minority players compared to other schools on Monday.

"We were looking at things, like you don't see many minority athletes in our program," DeBerry was quoted as saying in The Gazette of Colorado Springs.

"It just seems to be that way, that Afro-American kids can run very, very well. That doesn't mean that Caucasian kids and other descents can't run, but it's very obvious to me they run extremely well," DeBerry said in remarks broadcast Tuesday night by Denver television station KWGN.

Academy officials released a statement Tuesday, saying they were aware of the remarks.

"We cannot comment further until we have a chance to review all the reports, the coach's actual statements and to speak with the coach personally," academy spokesman Lt. Col Laurent Fox said.

DeBerry is the winningest coach in service academy history with a record of 161-94-1. He has had 17 winning seasons and won 12 bowl games.

This season, the Falcons are struggling. The team lost 48-10 to No. 20 TCU on Saturday, dropping to 3-5 overall and 2-4 in the Mountain West Conference.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5025942
Did someone say it was racist?

The Air Force Academy is looking into comments made by longtime football coach Fisher DeBerry, who said black athletes "run very, very well" and that the program lacks minority athletes.

Nahhh that's not racist, but this may be....

You're right coach Afro-American kids can run very, very well, but Afro-American jocks are just not smart enough to get into the Air Force Academy. :eek:

Mr. P said:
Nahhh that's not racist, but this may be....

You're right coach Afro-American kids can run very, very well, but Afro-American jocks are just not smart enough to get into the Air Force Academy. :eek:

That has nothing to do with it. The really good athletes don't want to go there because they'd have to serve before they can make their pro-millions. The best college teams are merely training camps for the pro's.

The ClayTaurus said:
That has nothing to do with it. The really good athletes don't want to go there because they'd have to serve before they can make their pro-millions. The best college teams are merely training camps for the pro's.
You are correct, but so am I.

If a black man said "Black people are great athletes, wonderful scientists, and amazing entertainers" there would be no issue here.

It's people LOOKING for racism.

dumb bastards...

What are people's opinions on the reasoning behind black dominance in sports? Theories? Facts? I'm all ears.

dmp said:
If a black man said "Black people are great athletes, wonderful scientists, and amazing entertainers" there would be no issue here.

It's people LOOKING for racism.

dumb bastards...
PC gone wild. It's okay to say "White men can't jump", but BAD to say "blacks
can run very well"..

It's just stupid.

The ClayTaurus said:
What are people's opinions on the reasoning behind black dominance in sports? Theories? Facts? I'm all ears.
Just my opinion…I think it’s the physical genetics and evolution of the race.
When ya gotta run from Lions ya learn to run FAST.

The view that black sportsmen and women have a natural superiority rests on the evidence of physiological research, largely into two groups of athletes: East African long distance runners and West African sprinters. East Africa, and in particular Kenya, is the powerhouse of middle and long distance running. The top 60 times in the 3000m steeple chase are all held by Kenyan athletes, who also hold more than half the top times at 5000 and 10,000 metres. Kenyan men have won the world cross-country championship every year since 1986. At the Boston marathon, often considered the world's premier event, Kenyan men have not lost since 1990. Most remarkably, the vast majority of top Kenyan runners come from one area in the country - the Kalenjin region along the western rim of the Great Rift Valley, adjacent to Lake Victoria. Kalenjin runners have won more than seventy per cent of Kenya's Olympic medals in world running and all but one Kenyan-held world records.

A number of lines of research suggest that the secret of such spectacular success lies in superior biology. All muscle contains two kinds of fibres - fast-twitch and slow-twitch. The former is good at producing explosive bursts of energy, the latter at sustaining muscle effort over long periods. Physiologists have shown that the muscles of Kenyan athletes have a higher proportion of slow-twitch fibres than those of white or West African athletes. Kenyans also enjoy a slighter body profile, have relatively longer legs and larger lung capacities, and possess more energy-producing enzymes in their muscles which are better able to utilise oxygen.

Athletes of West African descent - which include most African American, Caribbean and black British athletes - have, on the other hand, a physique which is suited to explosive events, requiring sprinting and jumping. Such athletes possess what biologists call a mesomorphic physique with bigger, more visible muscles including a larger chest. Their muscles contain a higher proportion of fast-twitch fibres than do whites or East Africans. Athletes of West African descent also possess less body fat, a higher centre of gravity, narrower hips, and higher levels of testosterone in their blood.

For Entine such physiological and biomechanical differences demonstrate the natural superiority of black athletes. For Entine's critics, on the other hand, the very search for such differences demonstrates a racist outlook. 'I don't think it matters what the biological conclusions are', argues former footballer Garth Crooks. 'It forges a distinction between black and white athletes which is unhealthy, unhelpful and untrue.' According to the prestigious science journal Nature, 'The danger that interracial comparisons will be inhibited by considerations of political correctness is less serious than that interracial studies will be wrongly used.' 'There are some things better left unsaid', concluded the New York Times.

Such critics are responding to a long history of racism in which black athletic superiority has often been seen as evidence of intellectual backwardness. 'The Negro excels in the events he does because he is closer to the primitive than the white man', claimed Dean Cromwell, the head coach to the US team at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. 'It was not long ago that his ability to sprint and jump was a life-and-death matter to him in the jungle.' Today, too, scientific racists, such as the controversial Canadian psychologist Philippe J. Rushton, argue that there is a trade-off between brain and brawn, and that black athletic superiority has been purchased at the price of lower intelligence. In The Faster Race Rushton explained (with a perfectly straight face) that Asian and white infants are born with bigger heads than black infants. Hence Asian and white women have a bigger pelvic girdle than do black women. A smaller pelvis, Rushton claimed, is better suited to running. Asians and whites are brainier, blacks more athletic.

It's a fact that blacks have more "fast twitch" muscle fibers. Blacks typically are superior sprinters. WHen you get to the endurance events like long distance or marathons, it evens out more between blacks and whites.

rtwngAvngr said:
It's a fact that blacks have more "fast twitch" muscle fibers. Blacks typically are superior sprinters. WHen you get to the endurance events like long distance or marathons, it evens out more between blacks and whites.

But why? What's the reason for it?

The ClayTaurus said:
But why? What's the reason for it?

The same reason many Norwegians and Swedes have blond hair, African-Americans have black hair, and..so on and so on.

Heredity. It started somewhere.

Does anyone think that slavery played any roll in things at all? Does anyone think it was an accelerated natural selection process? Or do people think that is completely bogus?

Dear God,

Please forgive me for what I am about to say.

The ClayTaurus said:
Does anyone think that slavery played any roll in things at all? Does anyone think it was an accelerated natural selection process? Or do people think that is completely bogus?

Obviously not. If they had run faster, maybe they wouldn't have been caught and sold into slavery.

GotZoom said:
Dear God,

Please forgive me for what I am about to say.

Obviously not. If they had run faster, maybe they wouldn't have been caught and sold into slavery.

Just to be clear, I'd like to point out that I'm not advocating that position, just looking for a discussion on it.

Forum List

Back