Black Americans, guns and also the NRA....Gun Rights are Civil Rights...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This guy gets it...

Former NFL Star Owen Burgess Recounts His Family Learning About Guns From the NRA After Becoming Freed Slaves

Former NFL Raiders' safety Burgess Owens' grandfather was one of those people who received 40 acres and a mule after being freed from slavery. And of the things Owens' family learned early on is that anyone who moves to disarm others wants to be in control.

"Those who want to steal and cause damage first take away a person's right to protect themselves," Owens told Townhall in an exclusive interview.

In fact, it was the National Rifle Association (NRA) that taught blacks the basics of gun safety and how to accurately shoot a firearm.

"I grew up in Tallahassee, Florida in the 1960s. My dad was very active with the NRA," he explained. "He worked with the NRA to teach blacks how to shoot, how to handle a firearm safely and to teach others those principles."

“The NRA was part of making sure blacks were equipped with protecting ourselves when need be," Owens said.

According to the former NFL player, the Second Amendment helps protect every other right granted to us by God and protected in the Constitution.

“When you're taught to protect yourself – you have the right to protect yourself. You have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness," Owens explained.

"As a young man, my duty is to protect myself and those around me. For my dad, who just came back from war, they learned how to protect their country. They put their lives on the line and so that could be done," he said. "I grew up with respect for firearms and with an appreciation for what they do – like the ability to hunt and how to use it and in case evil showed up at my doorstep. The worst thing that could happen to any man is evil showing up at the door and being on his knees begging for their lives and those of he loves."

The NRA has been teaching Police Officers, skeet shooters, kids, housewives and members of the Military about safe and accurate shooting for more than a hundred years. Presidents were life members. It's amazing that relentless pressure from sissie media types who ain't got a clue about automatic vs semi-automatic and single action vs double action have managed to accuse the NRA every time a maniac left winger opens fire on innocent citizens.

This guy gets it...

Former NFL Star Owen Burgess Recounts His Family Learning About Guns From the NRA After Becoming Freed Slaves

Former NFL Raiders' safety Burgess Owens' grandfather was one of those people who received 40 acres and a mule after being freed from slavery. And of the things Owens' family learned early on is that anyone who moves to disarm others wants to be in control.

"Those who want to steal and cause damage first take away a person's right to protect themselves," Owens told Townhall in an exclusive interview.

In fact, it was the National Rifle Association (NRA) that taught blacks the basics of gun safety and how to accurately shoot a firearm.

"I grew up in Tallahassee, Florida in the 1960s. My dad was very active with the NRA," he explained. "He worked with the NRA to teach blacks how to shoot, how to handle a firearm safely and to teach others those principles."

“The NRA was part of making sure blacks were equipped with protecting ourselves when need be," Owens said.

According to the former NFL player, the Second Amendment helps protect every other right granted to us by God and protected in the Constitution.

“When you're taught to protect yourself – you have the right to protect yourself. You have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness," Owens explained.

"As a young man, my duty is to protect myself and those around me. For my dad, who just came back from war, they learned how to protect their country. They put their lives on the line and so that could be done," he said. "I grew up with respect for firearms and with an appreciation for what they do – like the ability to hunt and how to use it and in case evil showed up at my doorstep. The worst thing that could happen to any man is evil showing up at the door and being on his knees begging for their lives and those of he loves."
Yup. It's a basic human right.

AN AMICUS BRIEF FROM DAVE KOPEL: What Arms Are “Common” for Purposes of the Second Amendment?

The Ninth Circuit case Rupp v. Becerra challenges the California legislature's ban on a wide of variety of rifles. Last week, the author co-authored an amicus brief explaining:
1. Supreme Court precedents state that common arms cannot be banned.
2. Lower courts have used several methodologies to decide whether a type of arm is "common"; under any methodology, the arms targeted by California plainly are common.

Therefore, prohibition is unconstitutional.

The challenged ban: Beginning in 1989, the California legislature began outlawing firearms by dubbing them "assault weapons." In California and elsewhere, the definition of "assault weapon" has never been fixed or coherent, but is instead a shorthand for the largest number of firearms that gun prohibition advocates believe they can target in a given legislative session. Indeed, just about the only firearms that not been labeled "assault weapons" are actual "assault rifles," as defined by the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency; these are certain battlefield rifles capable of automatic fire, such as the German Sturmgewehr, the Soviet AK-47, or the U.S. M-16. See Kopel, Defining "Assault Weapons," The Regulatory Review (Univ. of Pennsylvania) (Nov. 14, 2018).

Under the latest definition from California, all centerfire semiautomatic rifles are prohibited if they:
  • Are on a list that bans guns by make and model, OR
  • Have a fixed (nondetachable) magazine over 10 rounds, OR
  • Use detachable magazines, and have one of the following features: a pistol grip
    that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; a forward pistol grip; a thumbhole stock; a folding or telescoping stock; or a "flash suppressor."
Every one of the forbidden features makes a rifle more accurate, and hence safer for all lawful purposes, including self-defense and hunting. Grips or thumbhole stocks improve the user's hold on the gun, so that it can be better controlled. Ajustable stocks allow users of different heights and arm lengths to adjust a rifle so that it fits them better, and hence is easier to control. A "flash suppressor" stabilizes the rifle's barrel, moderating the sine wave of energy that wobbles a barrel when gunpowder explodes. See Kopel, Rational Basis Analysis of 'Assault Weapon' Prohibition, 20 Journal of Contemporary Law 381 (1994).

The above is agreed by all sides. "[T]hat the rifles are more accurate and easier to
control is precisely why California has chosen to ban them." Rupp v. Becerra, 401
F. Supp.3d 978, 993 (C.D. Ca. 2019).

When you listen to the self-righteous anti-Trump Republicans consider where we would be if Hillary rather than Trump has been filling the Judiciary for the last 3 years.

Forum List

Back