Black America: Hip-Hop fails to paint accurate picture...why I like Will Smith

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
I'm pretty sure I'd vote for this guy.

LOS ANGELES — Will Smith (search) has one big introduction to make at Tuesday night's BET Awards: Gangster rappers, meet the rest of the world. Smith told The Associated Press he hopes to impress the global significance of U.S. black culture on the show's audience and artists.

"The kids that are making these trends, making these songs, don't understand the level of effect that black Americans have around the world," he said in an interview. " ... Black Americans are so elevated, it's almost worship."

Smith, co-host of the show (8 p.m. EDT) at Hollywood's Kodak Theater with wife Jada Pinkett-Smith (search), said he witnessed the phenomenon recently while in Africa. Touring a village in Mozambique, he came across a shack on which someone had scrawled the name of slain rapper Tupac Shakur (search).

"I was asking the kids: What is it about Tupac? Why is that there? I kept asking why. They were saying we want to dress like you dress, wear all the things you wear, talk how you talk."

"The impression is that black Americans are the dragon slayers. Here we are 13 percent minority in a foreign land, and yet we can make laws, change laws. If Jesse Jackson shows up at Coca-Cola, something changes."

More...http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,160846,00.html

The reason things change at Coca-Cola when Jesse shows up is because he threatens to start a boycott of their products unless CC makes a donation to the Rainbow Coalition or appoint Jesse to the Board of Directors along with a hefty salary.

GotZoom said:
The reason things change at Coca-Cola when Jesse shows up is because he threatens to start a boycott of their products unless CC makes a donation to the Rainbow Coalition or appoint Jesse to the Board of Directors along with a hefty salary.

I'd have to agree with that!!! He takes things that aren't broken and tries to fix them by means of extortion. I find what he does disgusting.

I do think Will Smith seems like a good guy,his music isn't bad. I don't know tho if he runs off at the mouth a lot about politics,Barbara Streissand style.

Forum List

Back