Bison bull euthanized after wandering away from Banff National Park

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Parks Canada says it has killed one of two bison bulls that wandered away from Banff National Park.

Officials said the animal was moving toward private grazing land and posed a safety risk to the public and to livestock.

“The decision to euthanize the bull was taken only after every other possible solution was tried or examined by highly trained, professional, and dedicated Parks Canada staff who are committed to conservation and the protection of species like bison,” Christie Thomson, a Parks Canada spokeswoman said Friday in a statement.

“Public safety is a priority for Parks Canada and this decision was made in order to protect the public and to uphold commitments made to the Province of Alberta and other stakeholders as part of the reintroduction project.”

Parks Canada said it made every effort to coax the bull back to the national park, where the herd of bison was allowed to roam free on July 29.

The two bulls wandered off on Aug. 5.

Staff continue to monitor the second bison bull.

“Fortunately his movements are not posing a risk to public safety or to the safety of livestock. Efforts to reintroduce him to the national park are ongoing.”

Thomson said the remaining 32 bison in the herd have stayed within the reintroduction zone in Banff National Park’s backcountry.

Sixteen plains bison from Elk Island National Park were reintroduced to the park in February 2017 into the remote Panther River Valley, about 40 kilometres north of Banff.

Roaming freely didn't really mean roaming freely.

Parks Canada says it has killed one of two bison bulls that wandered away from Banff National Park.

Officials said the animal was moving toward private grazing land and posed a safety risk to the public and to livestock.

“The decision to euthanize the bull was taken only after every other possible solution was tried or examined by highly trained, professional, and dedicated Parks Canada staff who are committed to conservation and the protection of species like bison,” Christie Thomson, a Parks Canada spokeswoman said Friday in a statement.

“Public safety is a priority for Parks Canada and this decision was made in order to protect the public and to uphold commitments made to the Province of Alberta and other stakeholders as part of the reintroduction project.”

Parks Canada said it made every effort to coax the bull back to the national park, where the herd of bison was allowed to roam free on July 29.

“Fortunately his movements are not posing a risk to public safety or to the safety of livestock. Efforts to reintroduce him to the national park are ongoing.”

Thomson said the remaining 32 bison in the herd have stayed within the reintroduction zone in Banff National Park’s backcountry.

Sixteen plains bison from Elk Island National Park were reintroduced to the park in February 2017 into the remote Panther River Valley, about 40 kilometres north of Banff.

If they didn't want them off the park land, they should have put up a WALL!

Well, since to my knowledge bison don’t climb, a fence will do. Why must everything be explained to libtards?

Last edited:

It's part of the herd that was "reintroduced" and it was all about roaming freely. So, if I pretend they can understand anything at all then I could say the lone bison they are trying to coax back is...........trying to force them to keep their promise. Nope. You said roam freely. Here I am roaming freely. I'm not hurting anyone.

Perhaps it's a lot like the little boy sitting in the back of the car with one finger an inch away from his sister's arm saying, "I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you."

Do they not have tranquilizer guns in Canada?
Air_rifle_with_tranquilliser_dart.jpg

Wut?

I want to see if they promise Christmas presents and the like........

It's part of the herd that was "reintroduced" and it was all about roaming freely. So, if I pretend they can understand anything at all then I could say the lone bison they are trying to coax back is...........trying to force them to keep their promise. Nope. You said roam freely. Here I am roaming freely. I'm not hurting anyone.

Perhaps it's a lot like the little boy sitting in the back of the car with one finger an inch away from his sister's arm saying, "I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you. I'm not touching you."
Would you really want him in your backyard though? Do they charge? I know nothing about bulls in general except one of my cousins was gored to death by one he was keeping for his son. It had always lived on a farm. What would a wild bison be capable of?

Would you really want him in your backyard though? Do they charge? I know nothing about bulls in general except one of my cousins was gored to death by one he was keeping for his son. It had always lived on a farm. What would a wild bison be capable of?
Those things get huge and they charge also. They can absolutely kill you if they want.

If it's tail is up it will. I remember waking up to a herd (when I was about 7 or 8) that was moving rather quickly towards us and they divided up and moved around us and our tent and then moved back together.

Forum List

Back