"Bishop" Romney Urged Single Mother to give up Baby

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Read about it here...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/bishop-romney-pressured-single-mother-to-give-up-b

Peggie Hayes had converted to Mormonism as a teenage along with her family, and told the book’s authors, Boston Globe reporters Michael Kranish and Scott Helman, that for a long time she found comfort in the faith’s teachings. After returning to the congregation as a 23-year-old divorced single mother, she soon got pregnant with a second child. Knowing she was in need of financial assistance, the Romneys arranged for her to do odd jobs for members of the congregation.

“Mitt was really good to us,” Hayes told the authors. “He did a lot for us.”

But while Hayes considered Romney a friend, he was also her bishop—which meant it was his job to pass along sometimes-harsh church counsel. The tension between the two relationships came to the forefront one day when he came over to her apartment, and encouraged her to turn her son over to the church’s adoption agency when he was born. (The church’s position is that if a happy marriage between parents of a newborn seems unlikely, adoption is preferable to single parenting.)

Hayes was offended by the suggestion, and told Romney she would never give up her son. But, according to Hayes, Romney told her, “Well, this is what the church wants you to do, and if you don’t, then you could be excommunicated for failing to follow the leadership of the church.”

Though she was defiant, the authors write, “In that moment, she also felt intimidated. Here was Romney, who held great power as her church leader and was the head of a wealthy, prominent Belmont family, sitting in her gritty apartment making grave demands.”

This woman had the good sense to get the hell out of Mormonism after that.

Last edited:
Read about it here...

Bishop Romney Pressured Single Mother To Give Up Baby, Book Says

Peggie Hayes had converted to Mormonism as a teenage along with her family, and told the book’s authors, Boston Globe reporters Michael Kranish and Scott Helman, that for a long time she found comfort in the faith’s teachings. After returning to the congregation as a 23-year-old divorced single mother, she soon got pregnant with a second child. Knowing she was in need of financial assistance, the Romneys arranged for her to do odd jobs for members of the congregation.

But while Hayes considered Romney a friend, he was also her bishop—which meant it was his job to pass along sometimes-harsh church counsel. The tension between the two relationships came to the forefront one day when he came over to her apartment, and encouraged her to turn her son over to the church’s adoption agency when he was born. (The church’s position is that if a happy marriage between parents of a newborn seems unlikely, adoption is preferable to single parenting.)

Hayes was offended by the suggestion, and told Romney she would never give up her son. But, according to Hayes, Romney told her, “Well, this is what the church wants you to do, and if you don’t, then you could be excommunicated for failing to follow the leadership of the church.”

Though she was defiant, the authors write, “In that moment, she also felt intimidated. Here was Romney, who held great power as her church leader and was the head of a wealthy, prominent Belmont family, sitting in her gritty apartment making grave demands

"a book says". I'd wait for confirmation by one of the parties; if he did so, maybe Romney felt the young woman wasn't prepared for parenting, maybe SHE expressed uncertainty or a desire to place the child up for adoption. Maybe her parents urged her to allow them to adopt. This is a report, about a report. UNCERTAIN.

Read about it here...

Though she was defiant, the authors write, “In that moment, she also felt intimidated. Here was Romney, who held great power as her church leader and was the head of a wealthy, prominent Belmont family, sitting in her gritty apartment making grave demands

"a book says". I'd wait for confirmation by one of the parties; if he did so, maybe Romney felt the young woman wasn't prepared for parenting, maybe SHE expressed uncertainty or a desire to place the child up for adoption. Maybe her parents urged her to allow them to adopt. This is a report, about a report. UNCERTAIN.

Actually, the woman was already a mother, recently divorced. She had the second baby out of wedlock, and Romney used the whole "I'm a Bishop" bullshit to try to get her to give it up.

We already have her side of it, and frankly, I'm not interested in anything the weird Mormon Robot has to say, because I can easily tell when he's lying. His lips are moving.

Read about it here...

Actually, the woman was already a mother, recently divorced. She had the second baby out of wedlock, and Romney used the whole "I'm a Bishop" bullshit to try to get her to give it up.

We already have her side of it, and frankly, I'm not interested in anything the weird Mormon Robot has to say, because I can easily tell when he's lying. His lips are moving.

I'd prefer to learn Romney's side also; there may have been many reasons he gave that advice, IF he did.

I'd prefer to learn Romney's side also; there may have been many reasons he gave that advice, IF he did.

Romney claims it didn't happen. Suurrrre it didn't.

Romney claims it didn't happen. Suurrrre it didn't.

I can see Romney counseling her against abortion but not trying to persuede her to give her child up for adoption.

I could see him doing both. I get a lot of crap for criticizing LDS, but the fact is, like most cults, it just likes to control every aspect of their members lives.

My guess, he saw her as a baby machine for some richer bunch of Mormons who couldnt' have kids.

So funny that this is the kind of "he said/she said" accusations thrown at Romney. Not as provocative as Herman Cain lol

A big whooptiefuckingdooooooooooooo!

Is this the best the pond scum left can dredge up?

Laughable attack line that no one but liberals who weren't going to vote for him anyways will care about.

Enjoy your circle jerk

We have no idea how much of this is true or who said what. After all the left is still insisting that George Zimmerman called Trayvon Martin a coon.

Urging a teen age single mom to give up a baby that she can't support and can't take care of makes good sense. After all, wouldn't the left prefer there be no baby at all, that it be murdered while still in the womb? The anger on the left is that there is a live baby.

Advising young people who have little means to support themselves and TWO children is evil in the minds of dems. Pro-choice has nothing to do with "options".

My hunch is that child #1 was not being properly cared for.

Having the opinion that a child might be better off with parents that can actually afford to raise it is beyond belief. My God how could anyone think that!!!!

You know, if you're going to invent a religion, the least you could do is invent one that shows at least some attention to the concept of human decency.

Obama would have recommended she attempt to abort the baby, and if that failed and the child was born alive, to just throw it into the closet until it died.

Forum List

Back