Birth Order Affects Child's Intelligence and Personality

SAN DIEGO – Birth order within families has long sparked sibling rivalry, but it might also impact the child's personality and intelligence, a new study suggests. First-borns are typically smarter, while younger siblings get better grades and are more outgoing, the researchers say.

The findings weigh in on a long-standing debate: What effect if any does birth order have on a person's life? While numerous studies have been conducted, researchers have yet to draw any definitive conclusions.

The results lend support to some previous hypotheses — for instance, that the eldest sibling tends to have higher aptitude. But the study also contradicts other proposed ideas, for example, that first-borns tend to be more extroverted.

Any truth here? What number are you?

This political and you know it. The left will have you manipulating genetics to form only perfect children and aborting the rest. This is NOT a political subforum.

more likely your allies on the christian right who will say this info is a message from god and his way of giving us a tool to better society, or some bullshit religious babble like that.

btw, there are crazy leftist christians who would be your partners in this.

the fascist right would love this too.

from your posts
i take it you are the runt (as usual) of the litter. :eusa_shhh:

SAN DIEGO – Birth order within families has long sparked sibling rivalry, but it might also impact the child's personality and intelligence, a new study suggests. First-borns are typically smarter, while younger siblings get better grades and are more outgoing, the researchers say.

The findings weigh in on a long-standing debate: What effect if any does birth order have on a person's life? While numerous studies have been conducted, researchers have yet to draw any definitive conclusions.

The results lend support to some previous hypotheses — for instance, that the eldest sibling tends to have higher aptitude. But the study also contradicts other proposed ideas, for example, that first-borns tend to be more extroverted.

i'm the oldest of six, when my brother, who's second in birth order, had some trouble in school, the guidance counselor suggested to my father that it was due to birth order.

my father asked if he should kill me or the youngest four.

your father is a wise man. where are your siblings now, out of state?

i'm the oldest of six, when my brother, who's second in birth order, had some trouble in school, the guidance counselor suggested to my father that it was due to birth order.

my father asked if he should kill me or the youngest four.

your father is a wise man. where are your siblings now, out of state?

the youngest is in colorado. my sisters and other brother all live in mass.

This political and you know it. The left will have you manipulating genetics to form only perfect children and aborting the rest. This is NOT a political subforum.

What are you even talking about? This has to do with birth order, and I am sure Chanel was not being political when she posted it. Wow! You have lost it.:cuckoo:

even i don't see this as political.

i see the comment about how 'the left' will politicize it as funny considering how it was someone on 'the right' who did.

just sayin

Would have been the oldest of 3, but adopted, I'm the youngest of 2.
So confused :lol:

Families are funny things. If you count the steps I'm the second oldest of 7. Does that matter?

Better yet, my children are twins. But one is always born before the other, so will they both be like eldest children or will their birth order matter? And they have half-siblings on their father's side. So are they really the first born, or do their older half-brothers count? Or are we only talking about children raised together in the same home? Or only children born of the same mother?

Yep. It can get confusing. :lol:

Would have been the oldest of 3, but adopted, I'm the youngest of 2.
So confused :lol:

Families are funny things. If you count the steps I'm the second oldest of 7. Does that matter?

Better yet, my children are twins. But one is always born before the other, so will they both be like eldest children or will their birth order matter? And they have half-siblings on their father's side. So are they really the first born, or do their older half-brothers count? Or are we only talking about children raised together in the same home? Or only children born of the same mother?

Yep. It can get confusing. :lol:

I wonder what it says about only children. My son's both oldest AND youngest. lol..

Gotta love all of the tabloid psychology that comes outta these characters working on their degrees.

Dillo, you ignorant slut.:doubt:

These "Characters Working On Their Degrees" are often the recipients of Federal Government Grants, the number of which has grown exponentially with The Stimulous Package, which will Save The US Economy!!!

You can find a link to these at Recovery.gov where Earl E. Devaney, chairman of the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board, which manages this website and oversees spending under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. Explained on July 16:

Every once in a while, a news reporter reviewing the alleged misuse of Recovery Act funds will ask me a fundamental question: When can the public expect to see criminal indictments in the Recovery program? Prosecutions eventually will emerge, I explain, but then I go on to add that there’s a lot more to protecting the taxpayers’ pocketbook than bringing high-profile indictments.

In other words, its a fuckin' free-for-all.

I suggest we apply for the $525,000 Grant to headquarter in Miami, FL and study the effects on local fisheries, especially cephlopods, of college co-eds sunbathing and swimming nude:

The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), Southeast Region, is seeking proposals under the Marine Fisheries Initiative Program (MARFIN), for research and development projects that optimize the use of fisheries in the Gulf of Mexico and off the South Atlantic states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida involving the U.S. fishing industry (recreational and commercial), including projects exploring fishery biology, resource assessment, socioeconomic assessment, fishery management and conservation, selected harvesting methods, and fish handling and processing practices. This program addresses NOAA's mission goal to ``Protect, Restore, and Manage the Use of Coastal and Ocean Resources Through an Ecosystem Approach to Management.''

Last edited:
I'm the oldest of four. I am the most independent thinker and "doer", but my younger sister made the grades I was never interested in.:D I'm also the only one who strayed from the family religious beliefs, thus the black sheep.

I think that there's a statistical truth to the above.

But applying a statistical truth to an individual circumstance is usually a mistake.

I'm the second (and last) child in my family.

I think that part of what goes on is the family dynamics.

First children are the first that parents get to practice on.

Ergo their understanding of what it take to raise that first child isn't as high as it is for the second.

Parenting takes skills one learns, too, after all.

I am an only child, so for myself, I can't say anything on birth order. I have 2 sons. I do see that my youngest gets better grades and is more outgoing than my oldest, but I don't really think that my oldest is smarter. I think they are both incredibly intelligent. Whether my youngest's more outgoing nature and better grades are because he was born second or simply because he's got a different personality, I can't say.

I also have to wonder how they can really figure all this out. With adoption, half-siblings, step-siblings, and the like, how do you determine birth order? Does birth order only apply to children born of the same bio parents, living in the same house? If it applies to all the halves, steps, and adoptees, then does your birth order change as your family changes? Can you go from an only to a first born to a youngest depending on who your mother and/or father marries? Can you be more than one? Can you be an oldest in your mother's second marriage and a youngest in your father's?

I do find it intriguing, but I don't think I would put too much stock into birth order. Too many variables and things that don't seem to be accounted for.

Yeah!! Birth order within families has long sparked sibling rivalry, but it might also impact the child's personality and intelligence, a new study suggests. First-borns are typically smarter, while younger siblings get better grades and are more outgoing, the researchers say.