Birth Order Affects Child's Intelligence and Personality

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
SAN DIEGO – Birth order within families has long sparked sibling rivalry, but it might also impact the child's personality and intelligence, a new study suggests. First-borns are typically smarter, while younger siblings get better grades and are more outgoing, the researchers say.

The findings weigh in on a long-standing debate: What effect if any does birth order have on a person's life? While numerous studies have been conducted, researchers have yet to draw any definitive conclusions.

The results lend support to some previous hypotheses — for instance, that the eldest sibling tends to have higher aptitude. But the study also contradicts other proposed ideas, for example, that first-borns tend to be more extroverted.

Any truth here? What number are you?

I hope the weren't doing this study on taxpayer dollars..........
Yeah, right?

Literally millions of different possibilities before conception, and they're wasting money figuring out if there's some kind of pattern :rolleyes:

Ha ha. Isn't all research?

The findings shed light on the influence of sibling relationships, which often receives less attention compared with that of the mother-child or father-child relationship, said Tiffany L. Frank, a doctoral candidate at Adelphi University in Long Island, N.Y., who lead the study.

I'm a first born of four and the only female. I didn't see anything in the article that noted gender differentiation. I would think that might have influence on "personality" don't you?

Gotta love all of the tabloid psychology that comes outta these characters working on their degrees.

Last edited:

Ha ha. Isn't all research?

The findings shed light on the influence of sibling relationships, which often receives less attention compared with that of the mother-child or father-child relationship, said Tiffany L. Frank, a doctoral candidate at Adelphi University in Long Island, N.Y., who lead the study.

I'm a first born of four and the only female. I didn't see anything in the article that noted gender differentiation. I would think that might have influence on "personality" don't you?

Actually no. Much is corporate, association/individual donation and or school funded.

SAN DIEGO – Birth order within families has long sparked sibling rivalry, but it might also impact the child's personality and intelligence, a new study suggests. First-borns are typically smarter, while younger siblings get better grades and are more outgoing, the researchers say.

The findings weigh in on a long-standing debate: What effect if any does birth order have on a person's life? While numerous studies have been conducted, researchers have yet to draw any definitive conclusions.

The results lend support to some previous hypotheses — for instance, that the eldest sibling tends to have higher aptitude. But the study also contradicts other proposed ideas, for example, that first-borns tend to be more extroverted.

it has long been held that 1st borns are more apt to be the more intelligent of the brood, but there are many examples were others in the brood take that spot.

what does it mean? not much. one is either intelligent or one is not,.

Gotta love all of the tabloid psychology that comes outta these characters working on their degrees.

on the Harvard television program on ethics a sample of the audience is taken. most all the class is made up of -- yep, you got it -- first borns, :lol:

[youtube]rTAB5FVkLfE[/youtube]

Last edited:

it has long been held that 1st borns are more apt to be the more intelligent of the brood, but there are many examples were others in the brood take that spot.

what does it mean? not much. one is either intelligent or one is not,.

YA but your dissertation or thesis has to be much longer than that . :lol:

This political and you know it. The left will have you manipulating genetics to form only perfect children and aborting the rest. This is NOT a political subforum.

This political and you know it. The left will have you manipulating genetics to form only perfect children and aborting the rest. This is NOT a political subforum.

What are you even talking about? This has to do with birth order, and I am sure Chanel was not being political when she posted it. Wow! You have lost it.:cuckoo:

Great post Chanel, very interesting. I come from a big family, and I am the youngest.

I'm the first.

And I think that this is true. I was able to absorb knowledge and power from my mother's virgin uterus, while my brother had to deal with a uterus that was a floppy, stretched out bag because I had stretched it out. Not much knowledge and power left in it after I'd exited.

:confused:

Are those complete sentences?

I'm the first.

And I think that this is true. I was able to absorb knowledge and power from my mother's virgin uterus, while my brother had to deal with a uterus that was a floppy, stretched out bag because I had stretched it out. Not much knowledge and power left in it after I'd exited.
I am the youngest, but I am the only one to be in my mother's womb. :D

I'm the first.

I am the youngest, but I am the only one to be in my mother's womb. :D

Were the other ones hatched from eggs? Or maybe they formed in your mother's pouch?

3 of 4

So the first is smart and maladjusted and the rest preform better and are normal. LOL yep the oldest is smart and very maladjusted!

i'm the oldest of six, when my brother, who's second in birth order, had some trouble in school, the guidance counselor suggested to my father that it was due to birth order.

my father asked if he should kill me or the youngest four.