Birth of a Nation: The Press and Twitter, midwives?

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
Egypt just did something really substantial, the people ended a state of emergency and effectively ended the rule of a dictator. It was impressive to watch. Impressive still was the courage of the American Press (Even FOX!). They withstood beatings, arrests, and captivity to stay sure in their coverage. They shined a light on Mubarak's attempt to break the people by directing his supporters to commit violence against them. The people stayed peaceful and well organized. And that was due in large part to the communications that social media such as twitter and facebook provided. Thus far, this has been an amazing thing to watch. But a great deal of credit goes to the American Press, who risked their very lives to assure that the world was informed of exactly what happened.

Good deal so far! :clap2:

Egypt just did something really substantial, the people ended a state of emergency and effectively ended the rule of a dictator. It was impressive to watch. Impressive still was the courage of the American Press (Even FOX!). They withstood beatings, arrests, and captivity to stay sure in their coverage. They shined a light on Mubarak's attempt to break the people by directing his supporters to commit violence against them. The people stayed peaceful and well organized. And that was due in large part to the communications that social media such as twitter and facebook provided. Thus far, this has been an amazing thing to watch. But a great deal of credit goes to the American Press, who risked their very lives to assure that the world was informed of exactly what happened.

why the american press?

thank al-jazeera and mobile phones.

why the american press?

I don't watch Al-Jazeera. I have nothing against them..I just don't watch.

What I did see was a great deal of courage from the American press.

And I calls them as I sees them.

why the american press?

Al jazeera has had incredible coverage

why the american press?

That might be..but the only way to get them..thus far..is on the interwebs.

In any case..I prefer CNN international.

why the american press?

That might be..but the only way to get them..thus far..is on the interwebs.

In any case..I prefer CNN international.

egyptians got al jazeera, as long as it was allowed to broadcast. and that's what counts.

egyptians also coordinated their protest without the internet, which is obvious, because disconnecting egypt from the net did not stop or observably diminish the protests.

they relied on mobile phones, texting, mouth-to mouth, community organizing, etc.

i am annoyed by the overstating of the social media impact.

the social media played a role, sure.

but twitta please

Back in 1952 the USA via the CIA fomented a revolution in Egypt, the removal of then King Farouk was reportedly called operation "Fat Fucker", that being the most apt and correct description of Farouk whose regime was headed by a Royal Prince who was autonomous.
Revolutions are always organized by someone or a group of someones, we have yet to learn that identity.
What nation can exist for long without leadership, at this time the military are the nations leader, much like every regime since Farouk,,,, Mubarak was the last of that continuing mongrelized dynasty.
I would submit that when all is said and done the military will tell the people of Egypt who they can vote for as they have done for nearly 60 years.
I would further suggest now is a good time to become involved in the choices available,,, where is our fearless leader during this crisis opportunity?
We, the USA have a lot at stake in these uprisings, Egypt more-so.
Freedom to a Egyptian and most Arab nations means a benevolent Pharaoh or King,,, a world wide fantasy.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back