PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
By Michael Alison Chandler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, April 5, 2009; C01

When a Fairfax County mother got an urgent call from school last month reporting that her teenage daughter was caught popping a pill at lunchtime, she did not panic. "It was probably her birth-control pill," she thought. She was right.

Her heart dropped that afternoon in the assistant principal's office at Oakton High School when she and her daughter heard the mandatory punishment: A two-week suspension and recommendation for expulsion.

"I realize my daughter broke a rule," the mother said. But in an appeal to the school system, she reasoned, "the punishment does not fit the crime."

For two decades, many schools have set zero-tolerance policies on drugs. That means no over-the-counter drugs, no prescription drugs, no pretend drugs in student lockers or pockets. When many teens have ready access to medicine cabinets filled with prescription medications such as Xanax and Vicodin, any capsule or tablet is suspect.

Still, some parents and civil rights advocates say enforcement has been overzealous. Stringent rules have ensnared not only drug dealers and abusers, but a host of sniffling and headachy students seeking quick medical relief. The Supreme Court will consider this month the case of a 13-year-old Arizona student who was strip-searched in 2003 by an administrator who suspected that she was carrying ibuprofen pills.

During two weeks of watching television game shows and trying to keep up with homework online, the Fairfax teen, an honor student and lettered athlete, had time to study the handbook closely. If she had been caught high on LSD, heroin or another illegal drug, she found, she would have been suspended for five days. Taking her prescribed birth-control pill on campus drew the same punishment as bringing a gun to school would have.

Birth-Control Pill Lands Fairfax Student 2-Week Suspension, Possible Expulsion

Who makes up these regulations, anyway? Oh yeah, the same bureaucrats that have been doing such a great job on public education. I suppose if this teenager had gone to a bathroom stall to take her pill, this would be non-issue.

:wtf: Is this for real?

Ridiculous.

By Michael Alison Chandler
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, April 5, 2009; C01

When a Fairfax County mother got an urgent call from school last month reporting that her teenage daughter was caught popping a pill at lunchtime, she did not panic. "It was probably her birth-control pill," she thought. She was right.

Her heart dropped that afternoon in the assistant principal's office at Oakton High School when she and her daughter heard the mandatory punishment: A two-week suspension and recommendation for expulsion.

"I realize my daughter broke a rule," the mother said. But in an appeal to the school system, she reasoned, "the punishment does not fit the crime."

For two decades, many schools have set zero-tolerance policies on drugs. That means no over-the-counter drugs, no prescription drugs, no pretend drugs in student lockers or pockets. When many teens have ready access to medicine cabinets filled with prescription medications such as Xanax and Vicodin, any capsule or tablet is suspect.

Still, some parents and civil rights advocates say enforcement has been overzealous. Stringent rules have ensnared not only drug dealers and abusers, but a host of sniffling and headachy students seeking quick medical relief. The Supreme Court will consider this month the case of a 13-year-old Arizona student who was strip-searched in 2003 by an administrator who suspected that she was carrying ibuprofen pills.

During two weeks of watching television game shows and trying to keep up with homework online, the Fairfax teen, an honor student and lettered athlete, had time to study the handbook closely. If she had been caught high on LSD, heroin or another illegal drug, she found, she would have been suspended for five days. Taking her prescribed birth-control pill on campus drew the same punishment as bringing a gun to school would have.

Birth-Control Pill Lands Fairfax Student 2-Week Suspension, Possible Expulsion

Who makes up these regulations, anyway? Oh yeah, the same bureaucrats that have been doing such a great job on public education. I suppose if this teenager had gone to a bathroom stall to take her pill, this would be non-issue.

When my oldest hit high school she always carried around some ibuprofen in her purse. Going to the nurse with cramps for some? Waste of time. I told her just make sure you're in the bathroom when you take it.

If you take away the opportunity for kids to be responsible, how will they learn to be responsible?

When my oldest hit high school she always carried around some ibuprofen in her purse. Going to the nurse with cramps for some? Waste of time. I told her just make sure you're in the bathroom when you take it.

If you take away the opportunity for kids to be responsible, how will they learn to be responsible?

It's a shame that parents have to teach their kids to be secretive about something like this.

These rules don't work and they need to be changed. How does giving this teen a 2 week suspension ameliorate the situation?

Almost everything that goes on in school is as dumb as this and people wonder why kids come out not knowing anything.

It's a shame that parents have to teach their kids to be secretive about something like this.

These rules don't work and they need to be changed. How does giving this teen a 2 week suspension ameliorate the situation?

I guess I did teach her to be secretive - but only when necessary. Like if you come home late at night, walk toe/heel so no one hears you. :D

I guess I did teach her to be secretive - but only when necessary. Like if you come home late at night, walk toe/heel so no one hears you. :D

LOL! My husband taught my kids how to walk like Indians already. :eek:

LOL! My husband taught my kids how to walk like Indians already. :eek:

How do Indians walk?? I don't think I know that one!

Forum List

Back