Birdwatching

Down at Dunbar Cave we had a few of these Winter over. By last year there were at least a hundred of them that stayed all through the Summer. This year there are very few. I guess they found a better place to stay.

Canadian Goose

Canada-Goose-Szmurlo.jpg

These suckers cover the gold courses with shit that looks like green packing peanuts. Hundreds of em---Doesn't anyone hunt these buggers?

Down at Dunbar Cave we had a few of these Winter over. By last year there were at least a hundred of them that stayed all through the Summer. This year there are very few. I guess they found a better place to stay.

Canadian Goose

Canada-Goose-Szmurlo.jpg

These suckers cover the gold courses with shit that looks like green packing peanuts. Hundreds of em---Doesn't anyone hunt these buggers?

Kind of hard to do on a state park.

an Irish Robin which is a different species to the american bird and a lot smaller
MVC-150F.jpg

A tiny Marsh Wren, you could hold 3-4 of these tiny birds in the palm of your hand
sno.jpg

We have many bird feeders in our yard. As a result, there are tons of birds here to watch.

I don't have any bird-feeders, just lots and lots of trees.

Birds are everywhere. When I water the garden they splash under the sprinkler.

Mud, did YOU take all of the photos of the various birds you have posted here?

I wish.

I found photos of the birds I see just about every day.....except the woodpecker. Those are pretty rare.

When we were in Miami my wife got within a foot of this guy who seemed to be waiting to get a bite of bait fish from some people that were fishing off the pier.

Brown Pelican

Took this with my Blackberry
mudwhistle-albums-my-pics-picture4427-img-20120117-00050.jpg

A better shot from Bing images
Brown%20Pelican_12705708782.jpg

Last edited:

Canadian Goose

Canada-Goose-Szmurlo.jpg

Love these, a flock lived at my apartment complex when I lived in Colorado......... birders will frown on you if you say Canadian Geese..... they are Canada geese.

I've worked on numerous golf courses in the Northern parts of the country where a lot of these Canada geese can be found. There are a number of dog trainers that sell specially trained Border Collies to golf course for a lot of money, I've been told some go for 4 grand. They spend their entire day on the golf course chasing geese. The geese finally get tired of it and move on. I saw one at a course in New York, it was one of the first. He was 2,500 dollars and was doing well until he was near a tee box when someone hit a drive with a metal
driver. The loud ping scared the shit out of him and he took off into the woods, they never saw him again. After that the lady that was training the dogs started using recordings of people hitting those drivers in the training sessions.

I saw this movie last month called "The Big Year" starring Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson.

It's a film about birdwatching. These people run around the lower 48 United States and try to spot as many different bird species in 365 days to get the record. The current record is 745.

I love birds (except when they crap on my car and my deck) and I like watching them whenever I can.

Here are some of the species that are around my area.

Saw one of these yesterday. A Red-throat ed Hummingbird.

One of them almost kissed my wife......musta thought she was a bird-feeder.

1d-rgb-9535-male-ruby-throated-10-copy1.jpg

I lost my dog 2 years ago and I don't want to take care of another animal again so I decided to make the squirrels, chipmunk and birds my pets. I buy all kinds of nuts so the squirrel & chipmunk eat good. Not just regular peanuts. Cashews, Pican, Wallnuts. The squirrel actually knocks at the door. So cute.

So I finally figure out that the majority of the birds at my deck are American Sparrows, but there are several different kinds of sparrows and finch and I've seen a lot of them. To many to remember all of them but maybe 5 different kinds if you know what to look for.

But since I started paying attention, I've also seen Chicadee, Robin, Duck, Doves, 2 Blue Jay, 2 Cardinals, I've seen Hummingbird but not often. I live on the lake so we of course have geese and swan and seagull on the lake, but they don't come to my courtyard. The Mallards do though. Don't know what they are doing, but its cute. There are about 2 or 3 other lake birds I'm forgetting right now. Some of them dive in the water to catch fish and they can go deep. Loons?

Ones I didn't realize where even there until I started paying attention Dark Eyed Junco, Starling, Tufted Titmouse.

Forum List

Back