Birdwatching

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
I saw this movie last month called "The Big Year" starring Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson.

It's a film about birdwatching. These people run around the lower 48 United States and try to spot as many different bird species in 365 days to get the record. The current record is 745.

I love birds (except when they crap on my car and my deck) and I like watching them whenever I can.

Here are some of the species that are around my area.

Saw one of these yesterday. A Red-throat ed Hummingbird.

One of them almost kissed my wife......musta thought she was a bird-feeder.

1d-rgb-9535-male-ruby-throated-10-copy1.jpg

Last edited:
There's a large family of these Wild Turkeys that live in the fields down below my house. They usually come up into the yards and yesterday I saw a fellow doing this on someone's driveway.

wild_turkey-206463.jpg

When I was watching that movie, I thought about how if I ever won the lottery and became independently wealthy, that would be a fun way to spend a year of my life...not to really attempt to win it, but just for the experience.

When I was watching that movie, I thought about how if I ever won the lottery and became independently wealthy, that would be a fun way to spend a year of my life...not to really attempt to win it, but just for the experience.

It would be pretty cool.

I'd never get near as many as they did. They had people spotting them for them and they must have spent thousands on plane tickets.

There are several families of Swallows that live just outside Dunbar Cave which are protected. They are very beneficial. They eat insects on the wing. They eat hundreds of mosquitoes every night.

swallow1.jpg

Blue Jay

Usually when I see these they're fighting smaller birds. They pray on other birds eggs. So they're usually being chased by an angry parent.

image.aspx

Last edited:
Robin

Whenever I work in the garden or mow the yard one of these is close by when I get done.

If I water the garden this guy is right out there looking for worms.

Turdus-migratorius-002.jpg

Last edited:
Down at Dunbar Cave we had a few of these Winter over. By last year there were at least a hundred of them that stayed all through the Summer. This year there are very few. I guess they found a better place to stay.

Canadian Goose

Canada-Goose-Szmurlo.jpg

Wow, mudwhistle. Those are some beautiful birds. I really love birds. We have a pair or two of egrets out back every year. Last year a pair trained their 3 chicks all summer and finally, flew away just before cold weather set it. They do not like company, though. They're off to the tall pines when you go for a walk by the lake. :)

Great_Egret_Koh_chang.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, mudwhistle. Those are some beautiful birds. I really love birds. We have a pair or two of egrets out back every year. Last year a pair trained their 3 chicks all summer and finally, flew away just before cold weather set it. They do not like company, though. They're off to the tall pines when you go for a walk by the lake. :)

Great_Egret_Koh_chang.jpg

We have some of those on post. Big suckers.

Forum List

Back