Bird Watching

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
If I could afford it I'd take a year and travel and go bird watching. But instead, I can only look at bird photos around the world. Post your favorite bird :lol: I see lots of middle fingers.

Unbenannt-1.jpg

I dig bird watching a lot. I have feeders and strategically planted trees and shrubs all over the place. Winter is likely my favorite time to watch them. Very colorful. Dunno if I have a favorite. Maybe Blue Jays in the winter time. Woodpeckers are kind of neat. And those American Goldfinches, they come in olive green and yellow, they populate my sunflowers.

Last edited:
All I have to do is go outside.
I see far too many too post the pictures.
Eagle and hawk sightings daily. Sandhill Cranes roam our neighborhood, they stand over 3 ft tall. Every species of North America has visited my lot. Even tropical Orioles and Hummingbirds during the warm months. Two families of Eastern Bluebirds live in the boxes I put out back. Turkeys and Pheasants have roamed in. Annoying woodpeckers eat my house.
Even in winter, the woods are full of life.

Getting chilly at night.

It feels great, I've been spending a lot of time out on the porch in the evening and night lately. Apple picking season type of chilly. It's probably my favorite time of year, these next couple months.

Hummingbirds are amazing creatures to watch.
Aggressive for such a small bird
I keep a feeder on the picture window. Can see them as I watch TV.
See them up in the northern woods a lot. Even had one buzz around our boat on the lake. They are still around, but I bet they head south real soon. Getting chilly at night.

I haven't seen any in about a week after the temps dipped into the 40's one night (and was back in the 90's today). I have a feeder, but they mostly have been frequenting a couple beds of zinnia and one with Mexican sunflowers. The zinnias are looking rather horrible. I would rip them out for aesthetics, but the little butterflies are still showing up. I guess the big ones have either migrated or died. We had about 4 regular ruby throat hummers this year, or at least I saw 4 at once one day.

See them up in the northern woods a lot. Even had one buzz around our boat on the lake. They are still around, but I bet they head south real soon. Getting chilly at night.

I haven't seen any in about a week after the temps dipped into the 40's one night (and was back in the 90's today). I have a feeder, but they mostly have been frequenting a couple beds of zinnia and one with Mexican sunflowers. The zinnias are looking rather horrible. I would rip them out for aesthetics, but the little butterflies are still showing up. I guess the big ones have either migrated or died. We had about 4 regular ruby throat hummers this year, or at least I saw 4 at once one day.
Saw them today, we had a stretch of warm last week. I bet they will be gone within the week. They really buzz the feeder a lot before they go.

Ours headed south around Labor Day. I keep a couple of feeders by our kitchen window

Ours headed south around Labor Day. I keep a couple of feeders by our kitchen window
I think my hummys bailed today. Haven't seen them. Cold front moved in yesterday. That was it.

Summer is done.

I think my hummys bailed today. Haven't seen them. Cold front moved in yesterday. That was it.

Summer is done.

I have 2 feeders and 8 little devils who fight from dawn til dusk. It's still in the 90s in North Texas so I'll have them until they're ready to go south, then I'll take the feeders down til spring.

Summer is done.

I have 2 feeders and 8 little devils who fight from dawn til dusk. It's still in the 90s in North Texas so I'll have them until they're ready to go south, then I'll take the feeders down til spring.
North of Twin Cities here. Usually they are gone about a week earlier, but we got a recent wave of warm weather.
I will leave the feeder out a few more days for any passing thru.

They do fight like little devils over that feeder. One hangs out in the tree watching and attacks every other that tries to get to it.

I notice them a lot more even in the north woods. Once you recognize them they seem easier to spot.

Seeing this bird in bright sunlight led to the purchase of my first field guide. It was simply neon, blew my mind.

Indigo Bunting

inbu28.jpg

Forum List

Back