Bipolar disorder news, research and treatments

waltky

Wise ol' monkey
Feb 6, 2011
Okolona, KY
Mebbe she'll do public service announcements for bipolar disorder...
:confused:
Catherine Zeta Jones treated for bipolar disorder
13 April 2011 - Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones have two young children
Catherine Zeta Jones has received treatment for bipolar disorder after dealing with the stress of her husband's battle with throat cancer. Zeta Jones, 41, made a decision to check into a "mental health facility" for a brief stay, said her publicist.

Michael Douglas, who was diagnosed last year, said in January his tumour had gone and he was beating the disease. Last September, Zeta Jones said she was "furious" that doctors failed to detect the cancer earlier.

Bipolar, also known as manic depression, causes severe mood swings, that usually last several weeks or months. Zeta Jones's publicist Cece Yorke said the actress sought treatment for the condition following the stress of her husband's cancer fight.

"After dealing with the stress of the past year, Catherine made the decision to check in to a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her bipolar II disorder," said Yorke.

More BBC News - Catherine Zeta Jones treated for bipolar disorder

Mebbe she'll do public service announcements for bipolar disorder...
:confused:
Catherine Zeta Jones treated for bipolar disorder
13 April 2011 - Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones have two young children
Catherine Zeta Jones has received treatment for bipolar disorder after dealing with the stress of her husband's battle with throat cancer. Zeta Jones, 41, made a decision to check into a "mental health facility" for a brief stay, said her publicist.

Michael Douglas, who was diagnosed last year, said in January his tumour had gone and he was beating the disease. Last September, Zeta Jones said she was "furious" that doctors failed to detect the cancer earlier.

Bipolar, also known as manic depression, causes severe mood swings, that usually last several weeks or months. Zeta Jones's publicist Cece Yorke said the actress sought treatment for the condition following the stress of her husband's cancer fight.

"After dealing with the stress of the past year, Catherine made the decision to check in to a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her bipolar II disorder," said Yorke.

More BBC News - Catherine Zeta Jones treated for bipolar disorder

So what?

Type II bipolar disorder is a more mild form of the disease, and it's not shocking that many creative and successful people are bipolar. They use their mania to their advantage and suffer through their depression.

Martin Luther translated the entire bible into German in five days. Do you think he could have done that if he wasn't completely manic?

Naw, it's real.

It's just difficult to pinpoint. Seems to be hormonal and behavioral...as with any behavioral diagnosis, the behavior can trigger the chemicals and vice versa.

It sucks, wish her the best.

Web therapy available now for bipolar disorder...
:eusa_eh:
Preventing bipolar relapse with web therapy
4 May 2013 : "I tend to think I am in a film - it's like The Truman Show. I'm the star of the film, off on my own planet. "It's quite pleasurable for me, but a bit strange for other people."
Michael, 29, from Cheshire, was diagnosed with bipolar disorder after experiencing these feelings during his "most severe high" while travelling after university. A spell in hospital a few years ago led to weekly sessions of therapy for a year which helped him manage the impact mood has on his life. But research into web therapy being carried out at Lancaster University may hold the key to ensuring he does not relapse.

_67399218_man2.gif

As a teenager, Michael had noticeable mood swings to the extent that his GP thought he had ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). But it wasn't until 2007 that he could put a name to the periods of mania which characterise his type of bipolar disorder. Stabilising his moods and controlling the triggers for his condition are a daily challenge, and yet being bipolar is clearly part of who he is. "I'm a very productive person. I have to keep busy and stimulated. People say I'm like a machine sometimes."

Many jobs

Michael has had 30 or 40 jobs since he was 16. He currently combines three different part-time jobs and he writes poetry and tutors in English during his spare time. He can experience weeks of low mood too, but the extreme highs tend to dominate. Michael says having access to an online psychological resource, which has been developed by a research team at the Spectrum Centre for Mental Health Research in Lancaster, was invaluable because he could tailor it to his own needs.

Prof Steve Jones, who led the study, says web therapy provides an alternative to traditional face-to-face therapies which few people with bipolar actually access. A controlled trial of 100 people with bipolar, half of whom used the interactive web tool, has produced some encouraging findings, he says. "We provided them with information about what the disorder is and strategies to improve their mood, then we looked at their experiences of recovery and getting on with their lives. "There was a significant increase in people's self-reported recovery. They also felt more positive and optimistic."

Limited knowledge

Some new scientific research is causing quite a stir in the medical community.

The fight is over antidepressants, and whether they work any better than a simple placebo.

In an report airing this Sunday, "60 Minutes" correspondent Lesley Stahl spoke to the psychologist behind the study, Irving Kirsch, associate director of the Placebo Studies Program at Harvard Medical School.

Preview: Treating Depression

He says that his research challenges the very effectiveness of antidepressants. Kirsch says the difference between the effect of a placebo and the effect of an antidepressant is minimal for most people.

In her interview with Kirsch, Stahl asks, "You're saying if (patients taking antidepressants) took a sugar pill, they'd have the same effect?"

Kirsch replied, "They'd have almost as large an effect, and whatever difference it would be, would be clinically insignificant."

Inside "60 Minutes" placebo story - CBS News

Forum List

Back