Bipartisan budget agreement: I win, you win, taxpayers lose

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
The Trump administration and congressional leaders, including Democrats, have reached a critical debt and budget agreement that all but eliminates the risk of another government shut down this fall -- but that has already drawn fierce blowback from fiscal conservatives worried about overspending, as well as progressives unhappy with where the money could go.

The deal announced Monday evening, which requires congressional approval, would increase spending caps by $320 billion relative to the limits prescribed in the 2011 Budget Control Act, whose spending-control provisions have been repeatedly waived since 2014. It also would suspend the debt ceiling and permit more government borrowing until July 31, 2021 -- after the next presidential election.

In the end, domestic programs would on average receive 4-percent increases in the first year of the pact, with much of those gains eaten up by veterans increases and an unavoidable surge for the U.S. Census. Defense would jump to $738 billion next year, a 3-percent hike.

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, a Republican, called the deal a "huge mistake" because it gets rid of automatic spending cuts.

“Democrats are also pleased to have secured robust funding for critical domestic priorities in this agreement," they said. "Democrats have always insisted on parity in increases between defense and non-defense, and we are pleased that our increase in non-defense budget authority exceeds the defense number by $10 billion over the next two years. It also means Democrats secured an increase of more than $100 billion in funding for domestic priorities since President Trump took office."

"I'm worried the House is willing to give him far too much discretion to take money and move it anywhere he wants including a wall," Leahy, D-Vt., told The Washington Post. "So the way it is now I will not vote for it. . . . The other 99 can vote for it, I won’t."

Trump announces 'real compromise' on budget deal, as fiscal hawks and some Dems cry foul

This is what a mixed party government looks like. To get what I want, I have to give you something that you want. In the end, it increases deficits and debt that will be a burden on all future taxpayers.

I get so sick of the uninformed voters placing blame on out of control spending exclusively on the President. In a mixed party government, everybody is responsible. If the President gets all what he wants and the Democrats get little, the government shuts down. If the Democrats get the largest piece of the cake and the President a slice, the government shuts down.

So if this bill passes, I don't want to hear you libs stating that the out of control spending is all Trump's fault.

After all the whining about the tax cut, when the dems have the "power of the purse" in Congress, the deficit increases!! The dems didn't insist on raising the top tax rate?! WTF? The Budget Deficit is $1T now!! Medicare and SS are going bankrupt. I can see how Trump wouldn't want big spending cuts or tax increases, but the dems are more guilty since they ran on restraining Trump's spending in 2018.

the Bowles-Simpson plan is the only way to balance the budget.

it identifies 2 trillion dollars in corporate loopholes

i also like Jim Jordan's cut, cap and balance plan. its as simple as snap crackle & pop!

So if this bill passes, I don't want to hear you libs stating that the out of control spending is all Trump's fault.
What happens under a President's "watch" is their responsibility. If partisans want to play that game for their advantage, they have to take the bad with the good. Or they're just blatant hypocrites.

Here's an easy fix for the GOP: No tax cuts until spending cuts are in place. Have your candidates run on gutting Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid and a few dozen departments. Let's see if they win. If they do, make those cuts first, THEN cut taxes.

Until then, the "party of fiscal responsibility" is a fraud, playing bait and switch. And their flock is swallowing it.

Easy fix there.

After all the whining about the tax cut, when the dems have the "power of the purse" in Congress, the deficit increases!! The dems didn't insist on raising the top tax rate?! WTF? The Budget Deficit is $1T now!! Medicare and SS are going bankrupt. I can see how Trump wouldn't want big spending cuts or tax increases, but the dems are more guilty since they ran on restraining Trump's spending in 2018.

Uh, sorry, the problem IS Trump's tax cuts, which the Democrats can't do all that much about.

after the economy crashes and Trump is gone, we'll see those get rolled back.

The deficit under Trump before the Dems took back the House was 35% higher than the last 3 years of the previous admin and yet you still cannot bring yourself to point your finger at Trump.

And the wall that Americans voted for... no money for that. Instead free health care for illegals and whatever other stupidity is on the essential democrat vote buying programs.

And the wall that Americans voted for... no money for that. Instead free health care for illegals and whatever other stupidity is on the essential democrat vote buying programs.

And you god is going to sign it and brag about it while doing so...sucks to be you.

And you god is going to sign it and brag about it while doing so...sucks to be you.

Compared to being the self-hating Gator, being me is a winning ticket.

These traitors will be dealt with.

By traitors you mean your god Trump who is happy with the deal?

Uh, sorry, the problem IS Trump's tax cuts, which the Democrats can't do all that much about.

after the economy crashes and Trump is gone, we'll see those get rolled back.

So before the tax cuts we had a surplus? Idiot.

Has Trump committed treason?

No, so then the answer is no. Don't ask stupid questions gator. I am talking about the treasonous Americans who prefer their country invaded. People such as yourself who failed to defend the country are simply losers. There is a lot that you could learn from the God-Emperor.

Fiscal conservatism would be not giving huge tax breaks to billionaires and then complain that you don't have enough money.

You people keep talking that shit, but you're really absent specifics. And I mean specifics..... Names, Companies, Numbers.

I think you're just parroting DailyKooks because that's all the imagination you got.

The Trump administration and congressional leaders, including Democrats, have reached a critical debt and budget agreement that all but eliminates the risk of another government shut down this fall -- but that has already drawn fierce blowback from fiscal conservatives worried about overspending, as well as progressives unhappy with where the money could go.

The deal announced Monday evening, which requires congressional approval, would increase spending caps by $320 billion relative to the limits prescribed in the 2011 Budget Control Act, whose spending-control provisions have been repeatedly waived since 2014. It also would suspend the debt ceiling and permit more government borrowing until July 31, 2021 -- after the next presidential election.

In the end, domestic programs would on average receive 4-percent increases in the first year of the pact, with much of those gains eaten up by veterans increases and an unavoidable surge for the U.S. Census. Defense would jump to $738 billion next year, a 3-percent hike.

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, a Republican, called the deal a "huge mistake" because it gets rid of automatic spending cuts.

“Democrats are also pleased to have secured robust funding for critical domestic priorities in this agreement," they said. "Democrats have always insisted on parity in increases between defense and non-defense, and we are pleased that our increase in non-defense budget authority exceeds the defense number by $10 billion over the next two years. It also means Democrats secured an increase of more than $100 billion in funding for domestic priorities since President Trump took office."

"I'm worried the House is willing to give him far too much discretion to take money and move it anywhere he wants including a wall," Leahy, D-Vt., told The Washington Post. "So the way it is now I will not vote for it. . . . The other 99 can vote for it, I won’t."

Trump announces 'real compromise' on budget deal, as fiscal hawks and some Dems cry foul

This is what a mixed party government looks like. To get what I want, I have to give you something that you want. In the end, it increases deficits and debt that will be a burden on all future taxpayers.

I get so sick of the uninformed voters placing blame on out of control spending exclusively on the President. In a mixed party government, everybody is responsible. If the President gets all what he wants and the Democrats get little, the government shuts down. If the Democrats get the largest piece of the cake and the President a slice, the government shuts down.

The GOP faithful are getting rolled again, but they don't GAF.

Trump said with a scowl on his face that he'd never sign a budget like this again....Yet here he is signing one that is even worse.

And the band played on....

Has Trump committed treason?

No, so then the answer is no. Don't ask stupid questions gator. I am talking about the treasonous Americans who prefer their country invaded. People such as yourself who failed to defend the country are simply losers. There is a lot that you could learn from the God-Emperor.

I spent 20 plus years defending the country from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Unlike you I do not put a party or a man before the country or the constitution.

Forum List

Back