Biometric gun trigger locks...a middle ground solution?

Along with stricter restrictions on the mentally unstables ability to purchase firearms?

Thoughts?

Biometric Trigger Lock ? The Next Generation In Gun Safety

I have a biometric reader on my computer. I love the thing, most of the time, occasionally I have to reboot the computer because of a glitch on the sensor or the software. It isn't that big a deal, mostly because I never use my computer in a life and death situation, and I can always use the password if I don't want to reboot.

How long does it take to reboot a gun? Does anyone really want to trust their life to a computer that could hiccup at the most inconvenient time?

Would the risk of that be any higher than the risk of your gun jamming or simply misfiring?

Also just curious...why in the world do you have biometrics on your computer?

Let me see, I have to reboot the computer to fix my fingerprint reader every other week or so, how often do guns jam or misfire?

Pros:

Render stolen guns useless
Possibly prevent scenarios like Newtown
Keeps children from accidentally firing weapons

Cons:
Minor cost to gun owner or taxpayer depending on retrofit funding requirements
Possible glitch?
1 or 2 second delay to fire weapon
Epidemic of cut off thumbs?

Any lock that one person can build can be opened by another person. On top of that, there is no gaurantee that it will actually prevent accidental discharge, or even another person from using the weapon.

Pros:

Cons:
Possible glitch?

Any lock that one person can build can be opened by another person. On top of that, there is no gaurantee that it will actually prevent accidental discharge, or even another person from using the weapon.

I seriously doubt the common criminal, thug or psycho could dismantle a digital lock.

As to your computer it sounds to me like you have a defective device not one that has an occasional glitch. Many businesses utilize biometrics and if they were as unreliable as you described they would be obsolete.

Pros:

Cons:
Possible glitch?

I seriously doubt the common criminal, thug or psycho could dismantle a digital lock.

As to your computer it sounds to me like you have a defective device not one that has an occasional glitch. Many businesses utilize biometrics and if they were as unreliable as you described they would be obsolete.

Want to bet on that?

Bypass a $200 biometric lock with a paperclip | TechRepublic

Want to bet on that?

That's a door lock with a traditional key slot.

I guess my point was that opposing reasonable solutions could result in harsher restrictions. I don't see this battle dying off like it has in the past

Want to bet on that?

That's a door lock with a traditional key slot.

I guess my point was that opposing reasonable solutions could result in harsher restrictions. I don't see this battle dying off like it has in the past

It is a door lock that costs more than a cheap 3 pin tumbler, and is easier to open. As Scotty would say, "The more they over think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

The More They Overthink The Plumbing Sound Clip and Quote - Hark

Biometric locks have been around for a few years, do you think there is a reason every cop in America doesn't have a gun equipped with one?

The article doesn't say anything about being able to change the biometric lock if you sell the gun, or inherit it from someone who passes away. Is it possible to do so, or do you have to trash the gun? And if it is possible to change the thumbprint, what's to stop a thief from having it changed?

I would imagine reprogramming could be done by trained dealers. No one would buy a product that would render that product worthless dollar wise.

Criminals would find a "trained dealer" to unlock the guns illegally. That's what criminals do.....
We need to focus on the real culprit, mental illness.

There's a way around everything.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbM--4-z0cs]Simon phoenix escape - YouTube[/ame]

The article doesn't say anything about being able to change the biometric lock if you sell the gun, or inherit it from someone who passes away. Is it possible to do so, or do you have to trash the gun? And if it is possible to change the thumbprint, what's to stop a thief from having it changed?

I would imagine reprogramming could be done by trained dealers. No one would buy a product that would render that product worthless dollar wise.

Criminals would find a "trained dealer" to unlock the guns illegally. That's what criminals do.....
We need to focus on the real culprit, mental illness.

I have a feeling your average mass murdering shooter would not be able to find someone to unlock the guns. Taht would take too much effort.

Forum List

Back