Bin Laden prayer request riles Florida church

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — WPBF.com

At the Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, Osama bin Laden appears on the bulletin for Sunday's service.

A parishioner made the prayer request for the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks on America.

Louis Pizzano Sr., a parishioner at the church, said he's against praying for the Al-Qaida leader, who was killed by U.S. Navy SEALs more than two weeks ago.

"I just don't think it's right, I really don't," Pizzano said. "I think what's happened to the American people, what he's done, what he was planning to do and because we killed him, it doesn't stop there."

The request has created a division between some parishioners.
Vince Stankey said he has no problem praying for the terrorist leader.

"The way he was trying to prove his god to do killing, I can't approve of that," Stankey said. "But I have mercy on his soul and I have to pray for him."

Pizzano said he will not pray for bin Laden on Sunday. He said he has a better idea.
"Let's pray for our soldiers that are over there, not for somebody that caused our soldiers to go over there," Pizzano said.

The prayer service is scheduled for Sunday at noon.

Bin Laden prayer request riles Florida church - Local News - West Palm Beach, FL - msnbc.com

At the Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, Osama bin Laden appears on the bulletin for Sunday's service.

A parishioner made the prayer request for the mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks on America.

Louis Pizzano Sr., a parishioner at the church, said he's against praying for the Al-Qaida leader, who was killed by U.S. Navy SEALs more than two weeks ago.

"I just don't think it's right, I really don't," Pizzano said. "I think what's happened to the American people, what he's done, what he was planning to do and because we killed him, it doesn't stop there."

"The way he was trying to prove his god to do killing, I can't approve of that," Stankey said. "But I have mercy on his soul and I have to pray for him."

Pizzano said he will not pray for bin Laden on Sunday. He said he has a better idea.
"Let's pray for our soldiers that are over there, not for somebody that caused our soldiers to go over there," Pizzano said.

Bin Laden prayer request riles Florida church - Local News - West Palm Beach, FL - msnbc.com

From what I understand of christianity those who follow the religion are obliged to forgive a man for his sins, even if they are as gross as Bin Ladens.

I believe the christians preach that its god's job, not man's, to judge.

From what I understand of christianity those who follow the religion are obliged to forgive a man for his sins, even if they are as gross as Bin Ladens.

I believe the christians preach that its god's job, not man's, to judge.

Yes...exactly right! If we expect to be forgived by God, we're to forgive anyone that does something against us. In our human nature, we are all going to sin....some will have some pretty BIG sins, but if we "truthfully" ask for forgiveness, God will grant it. But, we also have to be able to forgive people like BL. It's up to God whatever his fate is going to be. It's up to me to not hate the man, and being human, that takes alot of praying!

The Lord said to pray for our enemies. I generally dont consider people my enemy, but if anyone was it was Bin Laden.

I don't know why it would upset them to pray for Bin Laden. We should pray for all people. Even those who are completely evil. Maybe especially them.

The Lord said to pray for our enemies. I generally dont consider people my enemy, but if anyone was it was Bin Laden.

I don't know why it would upset them to pray for Bin Laden. We should pray for all people. Even those who are completely evil. Maybe especially them.

If only all religious people were as honest and in-tune with their religion as Avatar here, adhering to the principles of compassion, kindness, and forgiveness present in virtually all major scriptures, it'd be a much different world.

Is this a joke? Who would include prayers for Bin Ladin in an obscure Catholic church in Fla and why is it National news that someone in the church objected to it? Is this a Soros Media matters scoop? Let the Catholics work it out in private.

Forgiving one's mortal enemies is stupid and dangerous. Another reason to believe Christians are fools.

I'd rather fogive my enemy then carry the hatred and bitterness of having an enemy with me.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is about reconciliation. The Atonement reconciles man with God, but it also helps reconcile us with our fellow man. When the Atonement works at it's fullness, our enemies are no longer our enemies, but rather our brethren.

The only way to defeat evil is to replace it with Good, not give evil back.

If only all religious people were as honest and in-tune with their religion as Avatar here, adhering to the principles of compassion, kindness, and forgiveness present in virtually all major scriptures, it'd be a much different world.

I appreciate the praise, but believe me, I am far from in tune with my religion. I have alot of work to do. Im trying to do it though. However, i mess up quite often.

I'd rather fogive my enemy then carry the hatred and bitterness of having an enemy with me.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is about reconciliation. The Atonement reconciles man with God, but it also helps reconcile us with our fellow man. When the Atonement works at it's fullness, our enemies are no longer our enemies, but rather our brethren.

Avatar, while I applaud your willingness to espouse and live by such a philosophy it is exceptionally naive. There are two types of people on this planet... Predators and prey. If you're not a Predator you are prey. I hope you never have to come in contact with a true predator in your life because that worldview of yours screams "prey" like a blinking neon light over your head.

Avatar, while I applaud your willingness to espouse and live by such a philosophy it is exceptionally naive. There are two types of people on this planet... Predators and prey. If you're not a Predator you are prey. I hope you never have to come in contact with a true predator in your life because that worldview of yours screams "prey" like a blinking neon light over your head.

There is much more to this life than predator and prey. And there come times that giving up your life for a higher cause is what is right.

Listen to yourselves you pompus fools postulating about Christian doctrine based on reports of an incident that may or may not have happened in a tiny Catholic church in Florida. Yeah, forgiveness is next to Godleyness. Why not try it?

Listen to yourselves you pompus fools postulating about Christian doctrine based on reports of an incident that may or may not have happened in a tiny Catholic church in Florida. Yeah, forgiveness is next to Godleyness. Why not try it?

Who exactly are you talking to here?

"Pizzano said he will not pray for bin Laden on Sunday. He said he has a better idea.
"Let's pray for our soldiers that are over there, not for somebody that caused our soldiers to go over there," Pizzano said."

I agree do not pray for Bush.

Predators often pay respects to their prey.

Forum List

Back