Bin Laden Arrest Offer Spurned as Clinton Met Lewinsky

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
*** Ok Dems, tell me again how Clinton did so much to fight terrorism! ***

At least two offers from the government of Sudan to arrest Osama bin Laden and turn him over to the U.S. were rebuffed by the Clinton administration in February and March of 1996, a period of time when ex-President Clinton's attention was distracted by his intensifying relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

One of the offers took place during a secret meeting in Washington, the same day Clinton was meeting with Lewinsky in the White House just miles away.

On Feb. 6, 1996, then-U.S. ambassador to the Sudan Tim Carney met with Sudanese Foreign Minister Ali Osman Mohammed Taha at Taha's home in the capital city of Khartoum. The meeting took place just a half mile from bin Laden's residence at the time, according to Richard Miniter's book, "Losing bin Laden."

Then came the bombshell offer:

"If you want bin Laden, we will give you bin Laden," Foreign Minister Taha told Ambassador Carney.

Still, with the extraordinarily fortuitous offer on the table, back in Washington President Clinton had other things on his mind.

A timeline of events chronicled in the Starr Report shows that during the period of late January through March 1996, Mr. Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky was then at its most intense.

On Feb. 4, 1996, for instance - two days before Ambassador Carney's key meeting with the Sudanese Foreign Minister, the president was focused not on Osama bin Laden, but instead on the 23-year old White House intern.

Read the rest here:
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/4/3/123551.shtml

Figures, they ought to just do it now and ban the Democratic party, I mean they are really to blame for most of the ills in America domestically and in foriegn matters.

I have heard this before,jim. I am interested in this book. I brought this up on another board I get on sometimes (not a political board) and a couplr of Dems on thee argues with me and said that the Republican Congress wouldn't let 'ol Bill catch him. Sounded like bull to me,but I would like to see this book. I'm not sure,but I think I saw the author on O'Reilly one night. If it is ths same guy,he made a very good case that Clinton let him go.

I personally think a lot was let go in the Clinton years because of that scandal hence the U.S.S. Cole.

Yeah, but it was only about sex. And really it is the republican's fault for even making an issue out of it. Clinton could have received hummers and ran the country at the same time. The impeachment process was just an unnecessary distraction. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the partisanship that propelled the admonishment of the Newt in 1998 simply must be considered here. What was that about an "aspirin factory" in Sudan? Jeesh, some of you cat's can't be real? Waving the magic wand, ? The power of Bill Clinton's dick still amazes and consumes you?

Originally posted by Psychoblues
Seriously, the partisanship that propelled the admonishment of the Newt in 1998 simply must be considered here. What was that about an "aspirin factory" in Sudan? Jeesh, some of you cat's can't be real? Waving the magic wand, ? The power of Bill Clinton's dick still amazes and consumes you?

It amazes me that people don't realize how badly he fucked up as a president. Had a been a little more responsive with Sudan, instead of worrying about hiding his indiscretions, Osama likely would have been out of the picture long ago. Funny how the dems want to avoid this issue entirely and blame Bush 100% for everything.

Hey its really unarguable that he seriously fucked up and was in dereliction of duty, hell even he admits that. The problem is that Demos don't want to admit it, they are trying to make an end around Bubba and go for Bush when he is trying to wipe Bubba's ass after he shit himself for 8 years.

For clarification I think the pipe smoking that Bubba got from Harmonica was about the only good thing he did during his 8 disastorous years, at least he wasn't queer.

SDick, I mean Sick. Some of you are seriously sick.

Not nearly as sick as a man that thinks getting his knob sucked is more important than national security.

Gotta admire the Demos though, Bubba is their leader and they will go down with the ship if need be. Loyal little bastards they are.

Nope, we're just realists that recognise realness.
Too bad you don't. Maybe the shrub is only slightly corrupt and stupid to boot? Ain't that a hoot!!!!!!!

Nope, we're just realists that recognise realness.
Too bad you don't. Maybe the shrub is only slightly corrupt and stupid to boot? Ain't that a hoot!!!!!!!

And maybe the democrats are only slightly pussies who slightly talk out their collective asses.

I have no problem saying Clinton did jackshit on the terror front, just like bush prior to 9/11 and pre-iraq-now. Jimnyc and OCA, will you honestly say that if Clinton killed bin Laden you wouldn't have been yelling wag the dog?

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
I have no problem saying Clinton did jackshit on the terror front, just like bush prior to 9/11 and pre-iraq-now. Jimnyc and OCA, will you honestly say that if Clinton killed bin Laden you wouldn't have been yelling wag the dog?

I see your point, but my answer would be no. If you knew me you would know how I feel about any military action or operations. I stood proudly behind Clinton and the US in 1998 when he bombed Iraq. I would have done the same had he did what was necessary to remove Osama as a threat, whether that was killing him or capturing him.

Hell no! Not after the crimes this guy had committed. You got me wrong on this one PJ. I would've said finally this guy did something right. But its all water under the bridge because Bubba did squat, in fact he made possible the atmosphere to where a 9/11 could and did happen.

Well, you guys seem to be different than most and I can tell you obviously weren't living here in arkansas at the time.

I'm a credit where credit is due type of person PJ, only I don't see where Bubba should get much credit. People always say he had a strong economy, yes thats true but he also had the highest confiscatory tax rates in history so nobody really made more money they just paid the little bit more they were making to the government.

"If you want bin Laden, we will give you bin Laden," Foreign Minister Taha told Ambassador Carney.
this is practically the SAME THING AS ACTUALLY DELIVERING HIM?

this tie is just another blame game of 'what if'. personally, i think it's a tired subject. i'm tired of blaming bush for what happened for the last three and almost a half years. no bushie will ever admit bush has done EVER anything wrong, and the blame game subejct is beyond stale.

Originally posted by spillmind
this is practically the SAME THING AS ACTUALLY DELIVERING HIM?

I guess we'll never know since Clinton turned the offer down, will we? I'll bet his tasty cigar was worth it though.

Forum List

Back