Billions in aid go to areas that backed Obama in '08

I don't like these assholes at all, but I agree with the articles conclusion that it's a little early yet to accuse them of playing politics, in that manner anyway. So little of the money has been spent that the imbalance can easily balance out by the time the whole thing, or even more, is spent.

Certainly worth keeping an eye on it though.

I don't like these assholes at all, but I agree with the articles conclusion that it's a little early yet to accuse them of playing politics, in that manner anyway. So little of the money has been spent that the imbalance can easily balance out by the time the whole thing, or even more, is spent.

Certainly worth keeping an eye on it though.

I can go along with that. On the other hand, the money is not being used as a stimulus, other than perhaps "saving" government jobs:

In order to 'stimulate' the economy, money needs to be in the hands of those that otherwise haven't any to spend. Can do this by giving money directly to certain groups, especially those that can create jobs, i.e., small businesses. Instead the administration has created regulations that are increasing taxes on those businesses, threatening to increase them more in the near future, tightening up loans so that businesses cannot grow...

Not really a stimulus, other than for government.

Much of it has followed a well-worn path to places that regularly collect a bigger share of federal grants and contracts, guided by formulas that have been in place for decades and leave little room for manipulation.

Investigators who track the stimulus are skeptical that political considerations could be at work. The imbalance is so pronounced — and the aid so far from complete — that it would be almost inconceivable for it to be the result of political tinkering, says Adam Hughes, the director of federal fiscal policy for the non-profit OMB Watch. "Even if they wanted to, I don't think the administration has enough people in place yet to actually do that," he says.

The imbalance didn't start with the stimulus. From 2005 through 2007, the counties that later voted for Obama collected about 50% more government aid than those that supported McCain, according to spending reports from the U.S. Census Bureau.

pointless article. It talks about 17 billion minus 5.5 B for a grand total of 11.5 billion which equals

1.4612% of the entire 787 B stiumlus

Much of it has followed a well-worn path to places that regularly collect a bigger share of federal grants and contracts, guided by formulas that have been in place for decades and leave little room for manipulation.

Investigators who track the stimulus are skeptical that political considerations could be at work. The imbalance is so pronounced — and the aid so far from complete — that it would be almost inconceivable for it to be the result of political tinkering, says Adam Hughes, the director of federal fiscal policy for the non-profit OMB Watch. "Even if they wanted to, I don't think the administration has enough people in place yet to actually do that," he says.

The imbalance didn't start with the stimulus. From 2005 through 2007, the counties that later voted for Obama collected about 50% more government aid than those that supported McCain, according to spending reports from the U.S. Census Bureau.

pointless article. It talks about 17 billion minus 5.5 B for a grand total of 11.5 billion which equals

That's funny... The liberal media sure was quick to point out this...

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama asked Congress on Thursday to eliminate or trim 121 federal programs for a savings of $17 billion in the coming budget year.

The proposed cuts amount to less than one-half of 1 percent of his $3.6 trillion federal budget outline. :cuckoo:

Obama wants to cut $17 billion from budget - White House- msnbc.com

So, is it your belief that the distribution of funds is 'accidently' directed in the manner indicated?

There are no such accidents.

Economist Jim Powell, in “FDR’s Folly,” notes that a disproportionate amount of FDR’s relief and public works spending “went not to the poorest states such as the South, but to western states were people were better off , apparently because there were ‘swing’ states which could yield FDR more votes in the next election.”

I suspect that we could find similar machinations by Repubs.

I would argue that those numbers are skewed by the construction of the hoover dam.

I wasn't trying to refute the "problem" of unfair stimulus, just that this article is misleading and pointless. It's there to increase viewership.

I think watching where the money goes will be very interesting as it gets further along.

And by another strange 'coincedence' many of these 'projects' are set to go RIGHT before the 2010 midterms...

So much for the most open and honest admin ever.

Forum List

Back