Bill would require all SD citizens to buy a gun

M14 Shooter

The Light of Truth
Sep 26, 2007
Bridge, USS Enterprise
Clapping for a new form of taxation?

Well not really.

Maybe SD wants to get rid of police..and their national guard.

Having an armed citizenry that is responsible for defense was original intent.

So I am sure they will be forming militias and receiving training and supervision from the Congress.

What kind of extremist, gun happy bill is that?

Taking time travel back to the wild wild West? :cuckoo:

So its a good thing it turned out to be Constitutional to require people to buy into healthcare....

Wait a minute....

Clapping for a new form of taxation?
Just as long as you are not required to buy govt mandated health ins.

I was wondering the same thing.

Pretty soon, we'll be seeing a bill that ensures that every citizen shop at Walmart once each quarter.

What kind of extremist, gun happy bill is that?

Taking time travel back to the wild wild West? :cuckoo:

Naw..it's not that unusual..

Most male citizens of the American Colonies were required by law to own arms and ammunition for militia duty.[2] The Long Land Pattern was a common firearm in use by both sides in the American Revolutionary War.[3]
Brown Bess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's the real reason for the second amendment..by the way.:eusa_whistle:

So its a good thing it turned out to be Constitutional to require people to buy into healthcare....

Wait a minute....

I understand that this is difficult for some of you on the left to understand. But States have much broader power than the Federal Government.

You see the Federal Government is a government of limited jurisdiction. It can only act in areas where they are given explicit power. Mandating anyone purchase something is not within their powers.

A state government, on the other hand, is given extremely broad powers. Any power not given to the Federal Government is reserved for the States. Thus, unless their state constitution prohibits requiring people to purchase something, the state can pass such a law according to the desires of the people.

Personally, I think requiring anyone to buy something is wrong, regardless of what level of government is requiring it. But simply because I think it's wrong doesn't mean it's unconstitutional.

It's clearly unconstitutional at the Federal Level. I'm not familiar with South Dakota's Constitution, but if they have nothing prohibitting it, then it's clearly constitutional even if it's stupid.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vel

Wait a minute....

I understand that this is difficult for some of you on the left to understand. But States have much broader power than the Federal Government.

You see the Federal Government is a government of limited jurisdiction. It can only act in areas where they are given explicit power. Mandating anyone purchase something is not within their powers.

A state government, on the other hand, is given extremely broad powers. Any power not given to the Federal Government is reserved for the States. Thus, unless their state constitution prohibits requiring people to purchase something, the state can pass such a law according to the desires of the people.

Personally, I think requiring anyone to buy something is wrong, regardless of what level of government is requiring it. But simply because I think it's wrong doesn't mean it's unconstitutional.

It's clearly constitutional at the Federal Level. I'm not familiar with South Dakota's Constitution, but if they have nothing prohibitting it, then it's clearly constitutional even if it's stupid.

Not at all true.

The Federal government doesn't have explicit enumerated powers.

Wait a minute....

It's clearly constitutional at the Federal Level. I'm not familiar with South Dakota's Constitution, but if they have nothing prohibitting it, then it's clearly constitutional even if it's stupid.

Not at all true.

The Federal government doesn't have explicit enumerated powers.

It was just a right wing apologetic attempt for a new type of tax.

Interesting responses from the anti-gun loons that support The Obamas mandate that everyoe buy health insurance.
They know there's no way to argue against this and yet still support His mandate - so they obfuscate, deflect and misdirect.

How predictable.

Did anyone even bother to read the article? You all are as dopey as those leaving comments at the link. :rolleyes:

The measure is known as an act “to provide for an individual mandate to adult citizens to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.”

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

They don't want to require anyone to buy anything and they know it will never pass. They are making a point about the unconstitutionality of the hc mandate. If this gun mandate is ridiculous and out of reach then so is the hc mandate.

Did anyone even bother to read the article? You all are as dopey as those leaving comments at the link. :rolleyes:

The measure is known as an act “to provide for an individual mandate to adult citizens to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.”

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

They don't want to require anyone to buy anything and they know it will never pass. They are making a point about the unconstitutionality of the hc mandate. If this gun mandate is ridiculous and out of reach then so is the hc mandate.

Ahh just more frivilous bill submitting, burning up govt dollars then?

The government should not force anyone to buy anything. If people are stupid enough not to want to learn to protect themselves then they deserve what they get.

Forum List

Back