Bill would make English state's official language

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
I'd be ALL OVER supporting this Bill - I'm just afraid it'd never pass...

HAMILTON | An Ohio House bill that calls for designating English as the official language of Ohio is expected to draw opposition from the state's Hispanic population.

The bill's sponsor, state Rep. Courtney Combs, R-Hamilton, said it's exactly that opposition that underscores the need for a "common language."

"It used to be that the top priority for immigrants here was to learn the English language so that they could function in the United States," Combs said. "But we've coddled the Spanish-speaking community to the point where there is no motivation for learning our predominant language.

"What used to be known as a melting pot of immigrants who did whatever was necessary to fit into the American lifestyle has turned into a tossed salad of immigrants who want America to adapt to them rather than the other way around."

The Ohio English Unity Act would require the use of English by state and local government entities in official actions and proceedings. It does not eliminate the use of a foreign language when necessary to protect or promote public health, safety or welfare or the rights of non-English speaking residents, such as the use of court interpreters.

Combs, who has been working on a draft of the bill for more than two months, said it was tragically ironic that in the midst of the legislation's development community unrest surfaced in his home district of Hamilton, where a Hispanic man is accused of kidnapping and raping a 9-year-old.

"Everyone speaking a common language would not have prevented the rape because that is a separate act that has nothing to do with race or culture," Combs said. "But, it might have helped to quell some of the social unrest had the neighbors in that community been able to talk to each other."

Combs last week attended a forum where leaders and residents attempted to discuss issues that plague the neighborhood where the rape occurred.

"What I kept hearing over and over again was that there are real communications problems in that area because the Hispanics and Latinos don't speak English," Combs said.

While Combs is proposing the adoption of an official language for Ohio, he said he is not suggesting immigrants forget their roots or customs.

But, foreign-speaking immigrants who refuse to or who can't learn English are "cheating themselves out of an opportunity for a better job, better wages and a better way of life," he said, noting studies that indicate English-speaking laborers make an average of $17 more an hour than others.

Ezra Escudero, executive director of the Ohio Commission on Hispanic/Latino Affairs, said he reviewed a draft of the bill and is creating a survey to determine the general opinion among Hispanic/Latino organizations and agencies statewide.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/localnews/daily/0706language.html

English should be the official language of the United States. Most business is already conducted in English.
It is primarily the older Latinos that refuse to learn English. They will state cultural issues, but it is really the difficulty of the language, and the fact that they don't want to bother to learn. My aunt is one of these people. She has been in this country for almost 30 years and stills knows very little English. For what reason I will never understand.

Too many people think that making English the "official language" in this country will mean no one can speak another language. Which is totally untrue. You can speak any language you want, as long as you conduct your official business in English.
This is true where my sister lives in East Los Angeles. You can walk for miles through the neighborhoods and visit hundreds of businesses without hearing a word of English. But when it comes to dealing with the city, county and state governments, they speak English.

One thing I would like to see happen is to require anyone who requests resident alien status or work visas to speak English. It is a requirement in some other countries, so why not here?

-Cp said:
I'd be ALL OVER supporting this Bill - I'm just afraid it'd never pass...

HAMILTON | An Ohio House bill that calls for designating English as the official language of Ohio is expected to draw opposition from the state's Hispanic population.

The bill's sponsor, state Rep. Courtney Combs, R-Hamilton, said it's exactly that opposition that underscores the need for a "common language."

"It used to be that the top priority for immigrants here was to learn the English language so that they could function in the United States," Combs said. "But we've coddled the Spanish-speaking community to the point where there is no motivation for learning our predominant language.

"What used to be known as a melting pot of immigrants who did whatever was necessary to fit into the American lifestyle has turned into a tossed salad of immigrants who want America to adapt to them rather than the other way around."

The Ohio English Unity Act would require the use of English by state and local government entities in official actions and proceedings. It does not eliminate the use of a foreign language when necessary to protect or promote public health, safety or welfare or the rights of non-English speaking residents, such as the use of court interpreters.

Combs, who has been working on a draft of the bill for more than two months, said it was tragically ironic that in the midst of the legislation's development community unrest surfaced in his home district of Hamilton, where a Hispanic man is accused of kidnapping and raping a 9-year-old.

"Everyone speaking a common language would not have prevented the rape because that is a separate act that has nothing to do with race or culture," Combs said. "But, it might have helped to quell some of the social unrest had the neighbors in that community been able to talk to each other."

Combs last week attended a forum where leaders and residents attempted to discuss issues that plague the neighborhood where the rape occurred.

"What I kept hearing over and over again was that there are real communications problems in that area because the Hispanics and Latinos don't speak English," Combs said.

While Combs is proposing the adoption of an official language for Ohio, he said he is not suggesting immigrants forget their roots or customs.

But, foreign-speaking immigrants who refuse to or who can't learn English are "cheating themselves out of an opportunity for a better job, better wages and a better way of life," he said, noting studies that indicate English-speaking laborers make an average of $17 more an hour than others.

Ezra Escudero, executive director of the Ohio Commission on Hispanic/Latino Affairs, said he reviewed a draft of the bill and is creating a survey to determine the general opinion among Hispanic/Latino organizations and agencies statewide.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/localnews/daily/0706language.html

My problem is history. Our current American english is nothing more but a combination of the "queen's english" AND various SLANGS from other languages!

Take the word shit for example

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordors.htm

It was a code word used to decribe a ship that could explode from the material inside it. If I was carrying explosive material, I would love to know if I had "Shit" on my boat!

Our language will ultimately evolve! Sorry, but it's going to happen; let's just do a good job in regulating its evolution!

hylandrdet said:
My problem is history. Our current American english is nothing more but a combination of the "queen's english" AND various SLANGS from other languages!

Take the word shit for example

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordors.htm

It was a code word used to decribe a ship that could explode from the material inside it. If I was carrying explosive material, I would love to know if I had "Shit" on my boat!

Our language will ultimately evolve! Sorry, but it's going to happen; let's just do a good job in regulating its evolution!

True, but the dominant language tends to win out in the. The English only laws are makeup designed to reduce fear among those who fear change. But Spanish won’t dominate English in the US, because non-Spanish immigrants prefer to learn English not Spanish, because it is the Language of success here.

It's difficult to comment on this particular bill since I have not had the opportunity to read it. But if it is like most "official language" bills, it will not force anyone to learn to read or speak the english language. The aim of bills like this one is to get government off the hook for having to provide services in any language other than english.

For example, a hispanic immigrant could demand that a driver's license test be given in spanish or that public schools provide instruction in spanish. It could even get to the point that road signs have to be posted in multiple languages.

By declaring english to be the "official" language, we get around all that silliness.

What racist nonsense this bill is. It would be far more efficient to have every government document, every test and every street sign printed in every known language on earth.

Ever listen to announcements in the airports or tube stations in London? By the time they scroll through the announcements in all 6 or 7 required languages, you either forgot what you were listening for, or you've left the building before the English versions comes around again. With the close proximity of some many other, larger countries, the UK at least has a rational reason for it. Why do we need to go that route? :blah2: :rolleyes:

Gabriella84 said:
One thing I would like to see happen is to require anyone who requests resident alien status or work visas to speak English. It is a requirement in some other countries, so why not here?
I agree. It is already the law in order to receive citizenship you have to speak english, but in my opinion, a lot of aliens are passing the test without being able to speak english.

Merlin1047 said:
It's difficult to comment on this particular bill since I have not had the opportunity to read it. But if it is like most "official language" bills, it will not force anyone to learn to read or speak the english language. The aim of bills like this one is to get government off the hook for having to provide services in any language other than english.

For example, a hispanic immigrant could demand that a driver's license test be given in spanish or that public schools provide instruction in spanish. It could even get to the point that road signs have to be posted in multiple languages.

By declaring english to be the "official" language, we get around all that silliness.

You're exactly right. It would also protect non-other-language-speakers (anglos) from discrimmination. Having two official languages here, there is a lot of bs between the french and english when it comes to applying for jobs. The french are the guiltiest, and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Forum List

Back