Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Internet companies and civil liberties groups were alarmed this spring when a U.S. Senate bill proposed handing the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet.

The new version would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license.

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet | Politics and Law - CNET News

Doesn't this give anyone any PAUSE as to what this WH is doing? The writing is on the wall! Take this along with the FCC diversity man Lloyd and apply common sense.

CaféAuLait;1463968 said:
Internet companies and civil liberties groups were alarmed this spring when a U.S. Senate bill proposed handing the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet.

The new version would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license.

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet | Politics and Law - CNET News

So I guess it's unimportant to you people, who are at this moment communicating via computer, that in the event of a cyber threat that had the potential to shut down the entire global network, causing banks/markets/life support systems/etc., to simultaneously crash, is a baaaaaaad thing. Interesting.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04321.pdf

CaféAuLait;1463968 said:

So I guess it's unimportant to you people, who are at this moment communicating via computer, that in the event of a cyber threat that had the potential to shut down the entire global network, causing banks/markets/life support systems/etc., to simultaneously crash, is a baaaaaaad thing. Interesting.

That's just bad web and network design, not our fault their overpaid university graduated techies don't know how to set up a secure network system correctly.

CaféAuLait;1463968 said:

I will go an verify before i say much more but.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! If you cant control the message control the medium?

CaféAuLait;1463968 said:

I will go an verify before i say much more but.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! If you cant control the message control the medium?

That's the power this new version will give, pretty much. Makes me more glad that my personal server is in the UK.

Doesn't this give anyone any PAUSE as to what this WH is doing? The writing is on the wall! Take this along with the FCC diversity man Lloyd and apply common sense.

[youtube]R8dBe_r_6c0[/youtube]

Try to keep up, soldier. This is old, dead, news.

White House: Obama Opposes 'Fairness Doctrine' Revival - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

and you've fallen behind sweetie. look at date. moot

CaféAuLait;1463968 said:

US Government already has high-security private intranets, not exposed to Internet risk. The infrastructure already exists to protect the "critical infrastructure" that this bill pretends to aim to protect.

One attempt (not necessarily the best) to address a modern problem. I'm not so sure this is a bad thing but God help any president who actually uses it. They better be able to justify such an action completely or the back lash will destroy their career and possible land them in jail.

Goober alert! Goober alert! Do any of you know who developed the Internet? No, no, Kevin and Terry, put down your hands: it was not Al Gore. The Department of Defense!

Even Terry will get this one -- the government will shut down the Net anytime it wants.

Goober alert! Goober alert! Do any of you know who developed the Internet? No, no, Kevin and Terry, put down your hands: it was not Al Gore. The Department of Defense!

Even Terry will get this one -- the government will shut down the Net anytime it wants.

:doubt: Actually, no, not possible. The government does not control most of the servers, otherwise they'd all be that shitty Windoze server OS. To "shut down the internet" you have to shut down all the servers or all the providers, that's simply impossible, unless this bill passes.

The ironic thing is that when Bush tried this kind of action everyone whined about it, now it's Obama and his blind supporters are justifying it.

CaféAuLait;1463968 said:

That's just bad web and network design, not our fault their overpaid university graduated techies don't know how to set up a secure network system correctly.
Ohhh no, not university graduated techies. Imagine that, educated people ... what's to become of us.

Ohhh no, not university graduated techies. Imagine that, educated people ... what's to become of us.

Those "educated" people don't really know as much about it as you think. ;)

The government would be better off just hiring military techs to do their security. Seriously, not met one that I couldn't discuss real technology with. Sure, they don't know those stupid "office" tech terms, but that's not even real English anyway.

:doubt: Actually, no, not possible. The government does not control most of the servers, otherwise they'd all be that shitty Windoze server OS. To "shut down the internet" you have to shut down all the servers or all the providers, that's simply impossible, unless this bill passes.

The ironic thing is that when Bush tried this kind of action everyone whined about it, now it's Obama and his blind supporters are justifying it.

It amazes me, it truly does -- the sheer robot like quality of some of his supporters.

CaféAuLait;1464291 said:

It amazes me, it truly does -- the sheer robot like quality of some of his supporters.

Not quite, robots have some individuality, thinking more like pod people at this stage.

Forum List

Back