Bill Whittle on Taxing the Rich

Cons make resale ol tried argument.

"take all the rich money and it still won't cover the debt"

Ok, since no one is proposing that...he's beating a strawman

Here is what some are saying: raise taxes, cut spending

That's it..

From books long out of print. I would recommend a book by Ferdinand Lundburg called "The Rich and The Super Rich" for a starter. He names the families and explains how they avoid paying taxes. You can find used copies on Amazon.

That book will document 60 families with trillions in hidden wealth each? This is such an easy solution. Why then do you not advocate a special tax on them while leaving everyone else alone?
I already said on another thread that you need to eliminate all charity deductions and tax all charities. The Super Rich have perverted the charity deductions to the point where they never have taxable income after adjustments.

For example, when Nelson Rockefeller was appointed Vice President, he made his tax return public. On a 7 figure income he had not one penny in taxable income. The Super Rich simply donate money, art, property, stocks, etc., to themselves as heads of their charities and get tax deductions for it.

And there's the rub, get rid of all charities because of a few families.

That's it..

How will raising taxes at a lower level work if outright seizing most of the income in this country won't work?

Oh the poor poor billionaires.

One cannot help but feel sorry for them.

They're treated so unfairly!

That's a very valid point you raise, that you are scoffing at some manufactured sympathy for billionaires. Where in a discussion about proper means to fund the government do that emotion and your emotional reaction fit?

You sure this isn't about envy?

Are you sure your position isn't about STOCKHOLM SYNDROME?

That says nothing about how little people of little means pay. It merely highlights how little they have. It says reams about the incredible amount of money that has been redistributed to the rich.

They say that the top 20% ( and most of this is in the top 10%) of the people now have 3 trillion bucks lying around fallow, doing nothing but lying in unproductive accounts. Meanwhile their taxes have been slashed, while they have produced none of the promised jobs and benefits.

The corporations, who the link says were sucked dry, have 2 trillion in equally fallow, unproductive accounts while their profits are at all time highs.

It is difficult to "suck dry" via taxes when taxes are not paid. Over 60% of fortune 500 companies pay no federal tax at all. A great many of these receive subsidies and/or refunds.

For example, Exxon Mobile made 30 BILLION in profits, paid no federal while receiving millions in refunds. (And in subsidies) They are just the worst of the offenders.

Meanwhile middle class income is steadily shrinking.

Forgive me if I cannot find reason to cry for the wealthy.

Maybe you could reference those talking-points. Provide a link or two.

I'd like to know how you got the ability to see through walls and say you know for sure how much money has been stashed away. What makes you think that money belongs you to you? Did you earn it? Aren't you advocating outright theft of private property here. Haven't you read the Communist Manifesto?

I have a solution. All of you on the left that think we should give away all of our liquid assets to the government need to chip in. Let them throw your cash away on every special interest that they feel will help reelect them. Send all of that extra cash you have lying around to Harry Reid so he can spend it for you in a more compassionate way, but leave the rest of us alone.

Last edited:

That's it..

So all of the demonizing about Cowboy Poetry and breast exams hasn't convinced you that they don't intend on cutting spending?

They want to squeeze us till we're dry and they want to keep spending. They're having way too much fun doing it to stop.

Once they get the rich and squeeze them dry guess who's next?

Last edited:

That's it..

Some people just can't see the big picture behind an intentional argumentum ad absurdium. The point is that how would raising taxes a few percent magically fix the problem when wholescale confiscation would barely cover the shortfall, nevermind the total budget.

One thing left out of whittle/iowahawks presentation is local taxes, people forget about those as well.

I find it amazing how the non-rich in the US will gut their own personal financies to support the rich who are totally unwilling to do the same for them.

How does raising taxes on them help me? I am in the middle class bracket, so i really dont get any government services above and beyond the basic ones, police, fire, sanitation etc. Unless the government starts paying me directly from the extra taxes they gather from the wealthy the only people who benefit are government workers, and people poor enough to need government programs.

Oh the poor poor billionaires.

One cannot help but feel sorry for them.

They're treated so unfairly!

That's a very valid point you raise, that you are scoffing at some manufactured sympathy for billionaires. Where in a discussion about proper means to fund the government do that emotion and your emotional reaction fit?

Sympathize with my captors? I don't. I just see the effects of what happens when there is no incentive to invest.

That book will document 60 families with trillions in hidden wealth each? This is such an easy solution. Why then do you not advocate a special tax on them while leaving everyone else alone?
I already said on another thread that you need to eliminate all charity deductions and tax all charities. The Super Rich have perverted the charity deductions to the point where they never have taxable income after adjustments.

For example, when Nelson Rockefeller was appointed Vice President, he made his tax return public. On a 7 figure income he had not one penny in taxable income. The Super Rich simply donate money, art, property, stocks, etc., to themselves as heads of their charities and get tax deductions for it.

How would having "charities" pay taxes like everybody else get rid of them? Are you saying that ALL the American people are only generous because they get a tax deduction like the Blue-Bloods??? CON$ have a very low opinion of the American people!!!!

How would having "charities" pay taxes like everybody else get rid of them? Are you saying that ALL the American people are only generous because they get a tax deduction like the Blue-Bloods??? CON$ have a very low opinion of the American people!!!!

So do progressives, seeing that they use the government to force people to pay, via taxes, for programs that used to be handled via charities. Instead of doing the grunt work of raising money for programs they would like to see implemented, they get the government to do thier dirty work for them.

That's it..

Some people just can't see the big picture behind an intentional argumentum ad absurdium. The point is that how would raising taxes a few percent magically fix the problem when wholescale confiscation would barely cover the shortfall, nevermind the total budget.

One thing left out of whittle/iowahawks presentation is local taxes, people forget about those as well.
Some people can never understand the truth no matter how many times it is shown to them.

The truly wealthy are wealthy because they understand the subtle difference between OWNERSHIP and CONTROL. Slick Willie Whittless made a sucker out of you by only "confiscating" what the Super Rich "own," which is a tiny fraction of what they control.

Again using Rockefeller as an example, since he perfected the scam.
When Standard Oil was broken up, on paper Rockefeller only owned 25% of the company. Some stockholders then tried to oust him from the board, but Rockefeller voted 60% of the proxies. He controlled much more than what he owned.

So do progressives, seeing that they use the government to force people to pay, via taxes, for programs that used to be handled via charities. Instead of doing the grunt work of raising money for programs they would like to see implemented, they get the government to do thier dirty work for them.
Your MessiahRushie would be proud of how you dodged any explanation of how taxing charities like everybody else would get rid of the honest ones, just like he programmed you to do.
Good job! :clap2:

Sympathize with my captors? I don't. I just see the effects of what happens when there is no incentive to invest.

Unless you are of the INVESTMENT CLASS, that is to say if your daily bread does not come from your or your families LABOR?

Voting for the neocons is voting against your own economic interests.

I cannot dumb it down for you any more than that.

It's not the tax deduction of the contributor that's the issue, most charitable contributions are made by people who either do not itemize or are above the federal deduction limitations. It's the micromanaging and expensive tax code on the operation that is the issue. If I receive $100,000 in contributions for my non-profit charity and I spend $95,000 on goods and services for my cause that's $95,000 going towards that under the existing policy. If it is treated as a business then there is no mechanism for considering those expenses as anything other than non-deductible gifts. Also, any enterprise that size and above would require that the staff take a salary and pay associated taxes with it.

In Florida that means the $95,000 would be considered income. Since the IRS assumes nobody works for free I'd have to take a $25,000 salary (which I could of course then just give to the same cause). That works out to $17,500 ((95,000-25,000)*.25) in federal corporate income tax, $3825 (((25,000*.062)+(25,000*.0145))*2) in payroll tax, $8250 (25,000*.33) in personal federal income tax, and $3850 in state corporate income tax.

Assuming I gave all my after tax salary from this entity away, we end up with a net of $61,575 going towards the cause. A 5% overhead rate at that level is efficient and people are moved to contribute knowing that just about all of their money is going towards a specific cause. Increasing that rate to 38% does not provide that same impetus especially towards small charities with excellent efficiency.

Changing tax policy to that end would not raise more money for the federal government, it would simply regulate those charitable organizations out of existence. Schemes to get around that by rolling up charitable activities into large centrally managed companies able to manipulate operations to avoid taxes would arise. These are horribly inefficient but the demand by people to give would still be there. All it means is that less money would actually be spent on worthwhile causes.

Last edited:

That's it..

Some people can never understand the truth no matter how many times it is shown to them.

The truly wealthy are wealthy because they understand the subtle difference between OWNERSHIP and CONTROL. Slick Willie Whittless made a sucker out of you by only "confiscating" what the Super Rich "own," which is a tiny fraction of what they control.

Again using Rockefeller as an example, since he perfected the scam.
When Standard Oil was broken up, on paper Rockefeller only owned 25% of the company. Some stockholders then tried to oust him from the board, but Rockefeller voted 60% of the proxies. He controlled much more than what he owned.

You are using a 100 year old example. Also he owned more than 25% when counting all the subsidiaries.

and who the hell is slick willie whittless? is your need to sound snarky so far ahead of the requirement to be clear on who the hell you are talking about?

Also, I've read plenty of the kook articles on the rockerfellers, again, its truther territory. Go work on your tinfoil hat.

Your MessiahRushie would be proud of how you dodged any explanation of how taxing charities like everybody else would get rid of the honest ones, just like he programmed you to do.

How many times do I have to say this, I dont listen to Limbaugh. On my drive home I either listen to 101.9 (rock) or the FAT FUCK (Mike Francesa). I havent listened to either hannity or rush in years.

It seems I can form these opinions, ALL BY MYSELF, which must be a troubling concept for you, as you seem to think anyone who disagrees with you is a slobbering rush-bot. That is one of the crucial mistakes of debating, not being able to place a valid reason you opponent has a view opposite of yours.

And I wasnt answering the charity part, I was answering your quip about conservatives having a low opinion of people. My point is progressives do to, seeing that they feel the need to use government to force people to pay for the social programs they want.

Reading is fundemental, or in your case, not so much.

Unless you are of the INVESTMENT CLASS, that is to say if your daily bread does not come from your or your families LABOR?

Voting for the neocons is voting against your own economic interests.

I cannot dumb it down for you any more than that.

Perhaps that's the problem, you assume that your inability to articulate a point is actually my inability to comprehend what you mean. Ergo, you don't explain much rather you speak in broadbrush terms as a way to "dumb it down." If you wish to have an intelligent conversation and/or share insight the civil response would be to put the requirement of conveying facts and opinions on yourself. If one means doesn't work, try another. For someone who professes to be so smart you sure seem to lack the basics of communication. But then again I am starting to think you're just a blowhard who likes to make yourself feel good railing against people on a message board to compensate for complete lack of ability to do anything about your otherwise shitty existence. I could be wrong, maybe you're just an idiot savant.

Anyway......

Voting for a higher level of government spending and higher taxes on my labor is against my economic interests even more than voting for the current crop of big government Republicans. You have yet to show me how the alternative to what you call "neocons" has been any better for me or for the country.

It's not the tax deduction of the contributor that's the issue, most charitable contributions are made by people who either do not itemize or are above the federal deduction limitations. It's the micromanaging and expensive tax code on the operation that is the issue. If I receive $100,000 in contributions for my non-profit charity and I spend $95,000 on goods and services for my cause that's $95,000 going towards that under the existing policy. If it is treated as a business then there is no mechanism for considering those expenses as anything other than non-deductible gifts. Also, any enterprise that size and above would require that the staff take a salary and pay associated taxes with it.

In Florida that means the $95,000 would be considered income. Since the IRS assumes nobody works for free I'd have to take a $25,000 salary (which I could of course then just give to the same cause). That works out to $17,500 ((95,000-25,000)*.25) in federal corporate income tax, $3825 (((25,000*.062)+(25,000*.0145))*2) in payroll tax, $8250 (25,000*.33) in personal federal income tax, and $3850 in state corporate income tax.

Assuming I gave all my after tax salary from this entity away, we end up with a net of $61,575 going towards the cause. A 5% overhead rate at that level is efficient and people are moved to contribute knowing that just about all of their money is going towards a specific cause. Increasing that rate to 38% does not provide that same impetus especially towards small charities with excellent efficiency.

Changing tax policy to that end would not raise more money for the federal government, it would simply regulate those charitable organizations out of existence. Schemes to get around that by rolling up charitable activities into large centrally managed companies able to manipulate operations to avoid taxes would arise. These are horribly inefficient but the demand by people to give would still be there. All it means is that less money would actually be spent on worthwhile causes.
First of all, that $95,000 would be an operating expense for a true charity and not taxed. But the Super Rich do not give away 95% of what they take in like a true charity. Their endowment grows and grows and only the minimum amount needed to qualify as a charity given each year.

But even if the present law was as you claim, when the law is changed to tax charities the same law can make the $95,000 an operating expense and not taxed as profit.
Hypothetical problem solved.

How many times do I have to say this, I dont listen to Limbaugh. On my drive home I either listen to 101.9 (rock) or the FAT FUCK (Mike Francesa). I havent listened to either hannity or rush in years.

It seems I can form these opinions, ALL BY MYSELF, which must be a troubling concept for you, as you seem to think anyone who disagrees with you is a slobbering rush-bot. That is one of the crucial mistakes of debating, not being able to place a valid reason you opponent has a view opposite of yours.

And I wasnt answering the charity part, I was answering your quip about conservatives having a low opinion of people. My point is progressives do to, seeing that they feel the need to use government to force people to pay for the social programs they want.

Reading is fundemental, or in your case, not so much.
Of course you do, just as sure as when CON$ say all Libs parrot MediaMatters or the Daily Kos. You are a perfect example of how CON$ can dish it out but cry like babies when it comes back in kind.

As you will see, I only use established CON$ervative techniques on this board so CON$ will have no room to object. Funny thing is, object they do!!! :lol:

Forum List

Back