Bill Walton

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
Maybe the best college player of all time.

Haven't heard about him for a while after he was forced to retire from broadcasting because of arthritis.

Hope he is doing well and staying on his veggies.

As a Basketball Big Man, I'm heavily biased toward big men so if you asked me to name the top 10 college basketball players of all time probably 7 would be Centers. Bill Walton would definitely be one of those Centers.

I cannot deny that the ulitmate goal of basketball is to put the ball in the hole and if you ask who was the greatest college player at doing that then everyone will answer without hesitation with the exact same name. There really is no "second greatest scorer in college basketball history" because the greatest is so much greater than any scorer before him ever was or any scorer since has been or any scorer will ever be in my lifetime that I cannot see how anyone else could ever hold the title of "Greatest College Basketball Player of All Time".

In fact, I would say that Maravich's 3 year scoring average probably ranks for me as the single greatest statistic in either college or pro basketball. It would be easy to assume it was a mistake. Pistol Pete (number 1) and 4 centers make up the top 5 greatest college basketball players of all time (Chamberlain, Alcidor, Walton, Sampson - written in chronological order). I cannot see how there could be any other way to see that.

A counterculture kook - Woodens gretest challenge.

ND beat him but they never beat Alcindor.

Haven't heard about him for a while after he was forced to retire from broadcasting because of arthritis.

Hope he is doing well and staying on his veggies.

He's broadcast some Kings games recently. And you could argue that he's the best college basketball player of all-time. I think he himself might argue that Larry Bird was though.

Forum List

Back