Bill to raise Truck weights to 97,000 lbs is insane.

The bill isn't going to establish a new weight standard. There are "legal" 97k tax paid trucks all over the roads today. The bill is a good thing. I would require a 6th axle for loads exceeding 80k and it would eliminate the quirky federal freeze that forced 97k trucks off the interstate and on to secondary roads. Since we can't do anything about the rising cost of diesel we might as well give truckers any break we can.

WASHINGTON, April 20, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- American voters say they are overwhelmingly opposed to allowing bigger, heavier trucks on our nation's highways, according to a national survey released today. Conducted by Hart Research Associates on behalf of the Coalition Against Bigger Trucks (CABT), the survey found public opinion is strongly against proposals being pushed by some large trucking companies asking Congress to raise the national cap on truck size by 20 percent to 97,000 pounds from the current limit of 80,000 pounds.

The survey found that voters "overwhelmingly and consistently oppose allowing bigger, heavier trucks on American highways," with nearly three quarters, or 72 percent, of registered voters opposing such an increase, and half of those surveyed, 49 percent, said that they strongly opposed the idea. The survey also found that the opposition stems from public concerns about the increased threat of accidents posed by heavier trucks, as well as increased highway damage, added traffic congestion and potential tax hikes to pay for highway damage.

"What we heard is that Americans simply don't want bigger, heavier trucks, because they're worried about the safety of these vehicles on the road," said CABT spokesperson Curtis Sloan. "Taxpayers also don't want to be left holding the bag when it comes time to pay for road damage."

Americans Say Bigger Trucks Threaten America's Roadways, Greater Taxpayer Burden -- WASHINGTON, April 20, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

I don't know enough about this issue to have a position, but do you really think 72% of Americans oppose this? I doubt 10% of Americans have even heard of it.

Forum List

Back