Bill O'Reilly: Christianity is a Philosophy

Glensather

Gothic Vampires
Nov 10, 2012
World 1-1
[youtube]dlApGy4WP-8#![/youtube]

Even though I'm an atheist now, I was once a Christian, and I was raised to believe that it is a religion, not philosophical thinking. Hell, I know some Christians that would be insulted by that.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

[youtube]dlApGy4WP-8#![/youtube]

Even though I'm an atheist now, I was once a Christian, and I was raised to believe that it is a religion, not philosophical thinking. Hell, I know some Christians that would be insulted by that.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

I'm an agnostic, but support Christmas as the birth of baby Jesus, whom most people of any faith, believe did exist and love to celebrate that he was an honorable man of goodwill.

Yes, I see Christianity as a philosophy just as I see Buddhism as a philosophy. However, when a person joins a specific religious affiliation, e.g., Roman Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, etc., they then belong to a religious faith and some of them try to live up the standards and beliefs of that religion.

The terms aren't mutually exclusive. All religions are philosophies. Not all philosophies are religions.

Why he would refer to it as a philosophy rather than a religion, i don't know. Im sure he has his reasons, but the man is hardly incorrect.

The terms aren't mutually exclusive. All religions are philosophies. Not all philosophies are religions.

Why he would refer to it as a philosophy rather than a religion, i don't know. Im sure he has his reasons, but the man is hardly incorrect.

Eh... yes and no?
Both do give guidelines for a way of living, but Religion requires a spiritual element that Philosophy doesn't.

This is like saying that you can be Christian and Muslim simultaneously; you can follow Christian philosophy but follow the Muslim Religion... and I'm pretty sure those two are mutually exclusive.

I don't know, it seems to me that he is trying to say that everyone can be Christian without believing in God... which sounds a bit hokey.

AquaAthena said:
I'm an agnostic, but support Christmas as the birth of baby Jesus, whom most people of any faith, believe did exist and love to celebrate that he was an honorable man of goodwill.

I agree with this. One thing I kept from being a Christian before I left the faith, was that Jesus Christ was a very good man.

If religion requires a spiritual element, and God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit are the spiritual center gem to Christianity, then Christianity is indeed a religion. Being a good person can be a philosophy. Coming to earth to save mankind is not a philosophy, and those that believe in Christ are not being philosophical, but acting on faith.

Eh... yes and no?
Both do give guidelines for a way of living, but Religion requires a spiritual element that Philosophy doesn't.

This is like saying that you can be Christian and Muslim simultaneously; you can follow Christian philosophy but follow the Muslim Religion... and I'm pretty sure those two are mutually exclusive.

I don't know, it seems to me that he is trying to say that everyone can be Christian without believing in God... which sounds a bit hokey.

AquaAthena said:

I agree with this. One thing I kept from being a Christian before I left the faith, was that Jesus Christ was a very good man.

First, your position on Christ is completely illogical. Either He is who He claimed to be, namely the Son of God and Savior of the World, or He is one of the greatest con men of all time. No room for him being a good man if He isn't who He said He was because His teachings and ministry lead people to sacrifice everything for Christianity. Do you think good men would lie to people and lead them to their deaths for a life?

Second, You analysis of what I said is completely flawed. All religions are philosophies, not all philosophies are religion. You seem to think that you've pointed out a flaw by saying "This is like saying that you can be Christian and Muslim simultaneously". But you're incorrect. There are clear contradictions between the two whether you call them philosophies or religions. Indeed, it completely mischarictorizes what I was saying when you said it's like saying you can be Christian and Muslim simultaneously. Because that's not what I said at all.

I said religion is a subset of Philosphy. Not that all religion or philosophies are the same. In fact, it's as you pointed out. Religion is generally the subset of philosophy that has a spiritual component to it.

I think O'reilly is a talk show host who is interested in ratings. Perhaps you should watch an actual reporter, journalist or real network if you want news.

First, your position on Christ is completely illogical. Either He is who He claimed to be, namely the Son of God and Savior of the World, or He is one of the greatest con men of all time. No room for him being a good man if He isn't who He said He was because His teachings and ministry lead people to sacrifice everything for Christianity. Do you think good men would lie to people and lead them to their deaths for a life?

To be completely honest with you, I'm not sure whether or not Christ is the Son of God. I used to believe that, but disillusionment and anger toward many Christians pulled me away from the church and set me on the atheist path. But that's neither here nor there.

Whether or not he was a con man, a lot of what he said is good. I've read the New Testament many times and I never found something he did to be completely inhumane.

Except the fig tree thing.

Second, You analysis of what I said is completely flawed. All religions are philosophies, not all philosophies are religion. You seem to think that you've pointed out a flaw by saying "This is like saying that you can be Christian and Muslim simultaneously". But you're incorrect. There are clear contradictions between the two whether you call them philosophies or religions. Indeed, it completely mischarictorizes what I was saying when you said it's like saying you can be Christian and Muslim simultaneously. Because that's not what I said at all.

Okay, I'll accept that. I misunderstood what you said, and we'll leave it at that in this case :)

Politico said:
I think O'reilly is a talk show host who is interested in ratings. Perhaps you should watch an actual reporter, journalist or real network if you want news.

I don't watch Bill anymore. I got this off a link on Reddit.

He is right Christianity is a philosophy.
The different Christian Churches are religions.
Like the Catholic religion.
The Baptist religion.
The Lutheran religion, so and so on.
These are all religions of the philosophy of Christianity.
Same goes with any other types of religions,
Example-
The philosophy of Wiccan belief is a set of spiritual principles.
The Philosophy of Christianity is a way of life.

To be completely honest with you, I'm not sure whether or not Christ is the Son of God. I used to believe that, but disillusionment and anger toward many Christians pulled me away from the church and set me on the atheist path. But that's neither here nor there.

Whether or not he was a con man, a lot of what he said is good. I've read the New Testament many times and I never found something he did to be completely inhumane.

Except the fig tree thing.

Glad we clarified our previous misunderstanding. You don't know whether He is the Son of God or not? That's always a dilemna, because without this knowledge it's difficult to place our reliance on Him. IE to have faith in Him.

I haven't always knowing that Jesus is the Son of God. It was only after the Spirit revealed to me that He was that I knew for myself. And that is only by the grace of God. And it was also after I searched the Bible, Book of Mormon, and other scriptures.

It was in Matthew 16 where Peter gave His testimony that Jesus was the Christ. Jesus said that Peter only knew that because the Father revealed it to him.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let Him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not and it shall be given unto him." (James 1:5)

It seems that the way to learn the things of God is by asking for and seeking knowledge and wisdom from God through the. We learn by study and by faith. I truly hope someday you will learn for yourself that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and our Savior. Because I hope you will have the same joy I do when I realize I can honest say "I know that my Redeemer lives".

Good luck brother.

Forum List

Back