Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Interesting his past:

Bill Moyers's Name Is Linked to J. Edgar Hoover's Abuse of Office - WSJ.com

FEBRUARY 21, 2009
J. Edgar Moyers
The TV moralist's government record.
One of the darker periods of modern American history was J. Edgar Hoover's long reign over the FBI, as we have learned since he died in 1972. So it is more than a historical footnote to discover new records showing that prominent public television broadcaster Bill Moyers participated in Hoover's exploits.

Under the Freedom of Information Act, the Washington Post has obtained a few of the former FBI director's secret files. According to a Thursday front-page story, Hoover was "consumed" with exposing a (nonexistent) relationship between a gay photographer and Jack Valenti, the late film industry lobbyist who was then an aide to Lyndon Johnson. Hoover's M.O. was to amass incriminating personal information as political blackmail.

But as the Post reports in passing, the dossier also reveals that Mr. Moyers -- then a special assistant to LBJ -- requested in 1964 that Hoover's G-men "investigate two other administration figures who were 'suspected as having homosexual tendencies.'"

This isn't the first time Mr. Moyers's name has come up in connection with Hoover's abuse of office. When Laurence Silberman, now a federal appeals judge, was acting Attorney General in 1975, he was obliged to read Hoover's secret files in their entirety in preparation for testimony before Congress -- and as far as we know remains one of the only living officials to have done so. "It was the single worst experience of my long governmental service," he wrote in these pages in 2005.

Amid "bits of dirt on figures such as Martin Luther King," Judge Silberman found a 1964 memo from Mr. Moyers directing Hoover's agents to investigate Barry Goldwater's campaign staff for evidence of homosexual activity. A few weeks before, an LBJ aide named Walter Jenkins had been arrested in a men's bathroom, and Mr. Silberman wrote that Mr. Moyers and his boss evidently wanted leverage in the event Goldwater tried to use the liaison against them. (He didn't, as it happened.)...

The Wall Street Journal sucks.

Hey, aren't the people on Wall Street the same ones that DESTROYED the American economy?

Moyer's show doesn't come close to being journalism. He does infomercials for left wing ideas. He's Michael Moore without a sense of humor.

Wasn't misusing the justice department one of the crimes of Nixon? Hmm, who would have thought of Johnson? Shhh, no Me!!! Call on Me!!!!

Bill Moyers is just another example of the intolerant Left. They will stop at nothing to push their political agenda. In this case, Bill Moyers would most likely embrace the homosexual lifestyle as long as the homosexuals in question are Leftists.

I don't think Bill Moyer is clever, or funny, I don't think he's got a particualrly good handle on the world, and I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone else, does either.

There's an ass for every seat, I guess.

Forum List

Back