Bill Maher's Islamophobic Career-Ender

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Those who accuse the once libertarian Bill Maher of becoming too much of a liberal apologist might want to clean their ears. Maher made a Juan Williams-esque confession on his program when he apprehensively noted that Mohammed has just become the most popular baby name in Britain. “Am I a racist to feel alarmed by that?” Maher asked his panel. “Because I am. And it’s not because of the race, it’s because of the religion. I don’t have to apologize, do I, for not wanting the Western world to be taken over by Islam in 300 years?”

His normally boisterous crowd fell silent as the panel responded to Maher’s admission.

“If you’re with NPR,” the conservative Margaret Hoover chimed, “You’d be fired.”

“It’s worse,” Lawrence O’Donnell told Maher. “It’s way worse than what Juan Williams said.” Hoover seemed to agree with this sentiment.

Reihan Salam, a conservative analyst with a Muslim name, also seemed irked by Maher’s comments, noting that he “has some uncles named Mohammed” that are “pretty decent guys.”

Of course, it’s not the name that Maher fears, but the religion. (Any of them, in fact — Maher’s qualms with religion of any sort, Islam or not, are long-standing and well-documented.) Hoover further stoked Maher by claiming that the U.K is saddled with a “far bigger problem” than baby names: Sharia law, which she said is creeping into England.

“Then I’m right,” Maher said, taking her for her word. “I should be alarmed. And I don’t apologize for it.”

And we believe him there. After all, this is the same man who got his previous show Politically Incorrect cancelled when he asserted that the 9/11 attackers were “not cowardly.”

Bill Maher Afraid Mohammeds, Islam Taking Over Western World | Mediaite

What a shame; I had just renewed my subscription to HBO -- and primarily to watch his show. Well, I am cancelling today and telling my cable provider why that is.

WTF is wrong with people lately, that hatred, ignorance and fear are considered socially acceptable? Have they all gone insane?

Last edited:
What's so wrong about not wanting islam to take over the western world when it's a known fact that 99% of all the cold blooded killing and murdering of innocent people is done in the name of said religion?

Why are you such an ardent supporter of the bloodiest religion on earth?

Those who accuse the once libertarian Bill Maher of becoming too much of a liberal apologist might want to clean their ears. Maher made a Juan Williams-esque confession on his program when he apprehensively noted that Mohammed has just become the most popular baby name in Britain. “Am I a racist to feel alarmed by that?” Maher asked his panel. “Because I am. And it’s not because of the race, it’s because of the religion. I don’t have to apologize, do I, for not wanting the Western world to be taken over by Islam in 300 years?”

His normally boisterous crowd fell silent as the panel responded to Maher’s admission.

“If you’re with NPR,” the conservative Margaret Hoover chimed, “You’d be fired.”

“It’s worse,” Lawrence O’Donnell told Maher. “It’s way worse than what Juan Williams said.” Hoover seemed to agree with this sentiment.

Reihan Salam, a conservative analyst with a Muslim name, also seemed irked by Maher’s comments, noting that he “has some uncles named Mohammed” that are “pretty decent guys.”

Of course, it’s not the name that Maher fears, but the religion. (Any of them, in fact — Maher’s qualms with religion of any sort, Islam or not, are long-standing and well-documented.) Hoover further stoked Maher by claiming that the U.K is saddled with a “far bigger problem” than baby names: Sharia law, which she said is creeping into England.

“Then I’m right,” Maher said, taking her for her word. “I should be alarmed. And I don’t apologize for it.”

And we believe him there. After all, this is the same man who got his previous show Politically Incorrect cancelled when he asserted that the 9/11 attackers were “not cowardly.”

What a shame; I had just renewed my subscription to HBO -- and primarily to watch his show. Well, I am cancelling today and telling my cable provider why that is.

WTF is wrong with people lately, that hatred, ignorance and fear are considered socially acceptable? Have they all gone insane?

427968_128.jpg

So wait, let me get this right..... By the way I am not defending HIM, he is an ass, someone espouses an opinion on a religion that they don't like and you get upset? I am betting money if he had said that about Catholics you would not have minded at all.

Islam IS dangerous. It is 700 years out of time with the modern world. It teaches its followers that murder and mayhem are ACCEPTABLE tools to be used for the furtherance of the Religion. It teaches that ONLY Islam is acceptable and all other religions are not only false but must be eradicated. It teaches its followers that women are PROPERTY. No rights, no freedom, no choice.

And this is EXACTLY what we need to be working against. The slow take over of our world by Islam. Britain HAS authorized Sharia law.

Last time I checked THE US IS A FREE COUNTRY. Where people are allowed to have differing opinions with out being called hateful. Go ahead provide the context of how he was hateful? All he said was he fears the religion. He did not say he hated anything. He did not display ignorance, YOU are the ignorant one. And we are ALL ALLOWED to fear what ever we want. It is called FREEDOM.

I have an idea Maddie, since you appear to have such love and affection for islam, why don't you find the nearest mosque to you, go on down there, walk in and tell them you want to convert to islam, and then demand they treat you equal, because I know you're all about equal rights... right? See how that works out for you.

Last edited:
  • Banned
What's so wrong about not wanting islam to take over the western world when it's a known fact that 99% of all the cold blooded killing and murdering of innocent people is done in the name of said religion?

Why are you such an ardent supporter of the bloodiest religion on earth?

There is zero risk Islam will ever become the most popular religion in the Western World. The violence you allude to is cultural and political to the Middle East and Africa, and not a feature of the faith. This is precisely the sort of ignorant hate that I abhore, Pale. You are a smart guy and I expected better than this of you.

But then, I expected better from Bill Maher, who I will never, ever watch again. Some things are unforgivable, and his comments are one of them.

I am not an ardent supporter of Islam, Pale -- I am a dedicated opponent of bigotry.

• Banned
I have an idea Maddie, since you appear to have such love and affection for islam, why don't you find the nearest mosque to you, go on down there, walk in and tell them you want to convert to islam, and then demand they treat you equal, because I know you're all about equal rights... right? See how that works out for you.

Pale, the only organized religion that holds any appeal for me is Judaism, and I am stalled in my conversion because I am unsure if I can commit to keeping kosher, etc. I don't have to be black to object to Jim Crow laws and apartheid....and I don't have to be Muslim to object to hatred of Islam.

Bigotry is wrong, it's evil, it's unjust and I will speak out against it until the day I die, regardless of whose ox is getting gored.

1386096_f520.jpg

Those who claim to oppose bigotry should learn to recognize real bigotry instead of accusing someone of bigotry when what they actually mean is 'I disagree with you'.

I agree with Jon Stewart on this issue.

He's a comedian and a satirist. He can say whatever he wants...and that pic of him you posted is offensive.

He's a comedian and a satirist. He can say whatever he wants...and that pic of him you posted is offensive.

I agree, the pic is offensive. Would you agree with me that, if the pic was of, say Beck or O'Reilly, it would also be offensive?

He is most certainly entitled to say whatever he wants. So am I. I spoke my POV about his Islamophobia and I stand by it. As for the photo, well, if he doesn't wish for me to think of him as a Nazi, he should never have said a fucking thing about "racial purity" in the UK.

Photo stays, but hey, no one is obligated to agree with me, Ravi.

He is most certainly entitled to say whatever he wants. So am I. I spoke my POV about his Islamophobia and I stand by it. As for the photo, well, if he doesn't wish for me to think of him as a Nazi, he should never have said a fucking thing about "racial purity" in the UK.

Photo stays, but hey, no one is obligated to agree with me, Ravi.

It takes terminal stupidity to agree with you, Maddie.

"There are terrorists and racists and Stalinists and Theocrats, but those are titles that must be earned. You must have the resume. Not being able to distinguish between real racists and TEA Partiers, and real bigots from Juan Williams or Rick Sanchez, is an insult. Not only to those people, but to the racists themselves. They have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate." Jon Stewart, October 30 2010. Restoring Sanity and/or Fear Rally.

427968_128.jpg

So wait, let me get this right..... By the way I am not defending HIM, he is an ass, someone espouses an opinion on a religion that they don't like and you get upset? I am betting money if he had said that about Catholics you would not have minded at all.

Islam IS dangerous. It is 700 years out of time with the modern world. It teaches its followers that murder and mayhem are ACCEPTABLE tools to be used for the furtherance of the Religion. It teaches that ONLY Islam is acceptable and all other religions are not only false but must be eradicated. It teaches its followers that women are PROPERTY. No rights, no freedom, no choice.

And this is EXACTLY what we need to be working against. The slow take over of our world by Islam. Britain HAS authorized Sharia law.

Last time I checked THE US IS A FREE COUNTRY. Where people are allowed to have differing opinions with out being called hateful. Go ahead provide the context of how he was hateful? All he said was he fears the religion. He did not say he hated anything. He did not display ignorance, YOU are the ignorant one. And we are ALL ALLOWED to fear what ever we want. It is called FREEDOM.

No one is currently fomenting hatred of American Catholics, RGS. If they did, I would condemn it too....all bigotry is wrong. It always is wrong.

Yes, we are allowed to fear, even to have irrational fears. Myself, I fear the rising tide of anti-Muslim hatred in this country and I speak out against it.

I will never watch Maher's show again and I am telling my cable company that I am cancelling HBO because of what he said. I am voting against hate with my tv remote, my mouth and my dollars.

I have all the same rights Maher has, don't I?

There is zero risk Islam will ever become the most popular religion in the Western World.
That is something that you do NOT know is true, and judging by the advances islam is making in taking over other countries, and the tentacles it already has in America, I'd say you're more wrong than right.

The violence you allude to is cultural and political to the Middle East and Africa, and not a feature of the faith.
Absolutely untrue Maddie. The violence is world wide. You forget 9/11 already? And it is directly related to islam, period, end of story, and no amount of you ignoring it or denying it will change that fact.

This is precisely the sort of ignorant hate that I abhore, Pale. You are a smart guy and I expected better than this of you.
No... you mean you expect me to agree with you. I get it. Well disagreeing with you is neither ignorant or bigoted Maddie. You should lay off the dramatics and just stick to debating.

I am not an ardent supporter of Islam, Pale -- I am a dedicated opponent of bigotry.
That's not the way it appears. Looks more like you simply demonize anyone who disagrees with your way of thinking... oh wait... THAT is BIGOTRY. Well how about that... :eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back