Bill Maher to tea partiers: The Founding Fathers would’ve hated your guts

On the plane ride back, I caught of little of Ed Schultz's civility.

I'm fairly certain the Left wants to start a Civil War

You mean like those maps on Palin's website with crosshairs on them? That kind of civility? To 'lock and reload'? That what you talking about?

so you're blaming Palin for the shootings?

Not even talking about the shootings. Talking about civil war....apparently....

One thing I am certain of.... none of us has the right to speak on behalf of the dead. I find this whole 'invoking the names' of our national heroes to be ridiculous. If you can't stand on your own feet, without invoking the memory of others - then you shouldn't be participating. No one has the right to speak on their behalf. No one. Right. Or left.

Do you object to a political movement adopting the moniker of "the Tea Party"?

You mean like those maps on Palin's website with crosshairs on them? That kind of civility? To 'lock and reload'? That what you talking about?

Yea, cuz absolutely no one has mentioned that in the past week.

And, for the umpteenth time... Palin explained the 'don't retreat, reload' remark back during the campaign. When she first used it. 'Reload' - back the ballot box. Try and keep up. Or, alternatively, continue making yourself look like you don't know what you're talking about. Either is fine.

One thing I am certain of.... none of us has the right to speak on behalf of the dead. I find this whole 'invoking the names' of our national heroes to be ridiculous. If you can't stand on your own feet, without invoking the memory of others - then you shouldn't be participating. No one has the right to speak on their behalf. No one. Right. Or left.

Once again, for the benefit of those who were absent on the first day of school....

Taxed
Enough
Already.

Please learn. There will be a pop quiz.

Once again, for the benefit of those who were absent on the first day of school....

Taxed
Enough
Already.

So that's a no? Invoking those who came before isn't so bad after all, I suppose. Damn, there goes that righteousness.

And, for the umpteenth time... Palin explained the 'don't retreat, reload' remark back during the campaign. When she first used it. 'Reload' - back the ballot box. Try and keep up. Or, alternatively, continue making yourself look like you don't know what you're talking about. Either is fine.

Why the rhetoric with Palin then. Why not just say "go to the ballot box"? Because it's not as effective and she (and many other pollies) like to ramp up the rhetoric...shrug...

As for not knowing what I'm talking about, you mean like telling people not to speak on behalf of the FF's and then doing exactly that like you just did?

Taxed
Enough
Already.

Oh, give me a break. Don't be so disingenuous. You know, I know and everybody knows why they chose the tea party moniker. The fact that it makes a little anagram that fits their political set up is nice and fluffy and all that, but please, don't try and think we're all idiots....

Why the rhetoric with Palin then. Why not just say "go to the ballot box"? Because it's not as effective and she (and many other pollies) like to ramp up the rhetoric...shrug...

As for not knowing what I'm talking about, you mean like telling people not to speak on behalf of the FF's and then doing exactly that like you just did?

Because 'Don't Retreat, Reload' makes a snappy soundbite. Do you have no idea how the media works? Snappy soundbites are required for media coverage. Grow up.

Taxed
Enough
Already.

Oh, give me a break. Don't be so disingenuous. You know, I know and everybody knows why they chose the tea party moniker. The fact that it makes a little anagram that fits their political set up is nice and fluffy and all that, but please, don't try and think we're all idiots....

The TEA Parties takes its moniker from an historic event. One about taxes. Can you grasp that concept... the similarities between the original event and the current issue?

She formed an educated opinion and prefaced it with "I think...", which I hope all of us could distinguish as not attempting to speak on behalf of anyone.

Because 'Don't Retreat, Reload' makes a snappy soundbite. Do you have no idea how the media works? Snappy soundbites are required for media coverage. Grow up.[/QUOTE]

Er, see the second sentence in my post. That's exactly what I said....And from all the bitching and moaning that goes on on these boards (especially from the right about the MSM), snappy soundbites is one of their bugbears.
Does the right ever have any solutions to anything, or do they just bitch and moan all the time...

The TEA Parties takes its moniker from an historic event. One about taxes. Can you grasp that concept... the similarities between the original event and the current issue?

Now that's not fair. You didn't include the "...unless I find the comparison apt" clause above when you said "I find this whole 'invoking the names' of our national heroes to be ridiculous."

You'll have to forgive people for being confused!

She formed an educated opinion and prefaced it with "I think...", which I hope all of us could distinguish as not attempting to speak on behalf of anyone.

So did Maher: "I think it’s pretty clear that the Founding Fathers would have hated your guts"...

Edit: That aside, Maher's was an educated opinion, too...

Last edited:

Taxed
Enough
Already.

Absolutely. And the Boston Tea Party led to the revolution and your FF's writing up a few interesting documents. So what were you inferring when Greenbeard made the connection and you answered with the moniker? What was the point of your answer?

Because 'Don't Retreat, Reload' makes a snappy soundbite. Do you have no idea how the media works? Snappy soundbites are required for media coverage. Grow up.

Er, see the second sentence in my post. That's exactly what I said....And from all the bitching and moaning that goes on on these boards (especially from the right about the MSM), snappy soundbites is one of their bugbears.
Does the right ever have any solutions to anything, or do they just bitch and moan all the time...[/QUOTE]

What? Why is it for the right to solve it?

The only reason the left don't 'bitch and moan' is that the liberal media doesn't continually lie about them. The right wing media does.... and they bitch and moan about that.

Why is it for us to solve? Why can't the media just do their fucking jobs properly? And by media I mean all the media.

Does the right ever have any solutions to anything, or do they just bitch and moan all the time...

What? Why is it for the right to solve it?

The only reason the left don't 'bitch and moan' is that the liberal media doesn't continually lie about them. The right wing media does.... and they bitch and moan about that.

Why is it for us to solve? Why can't the media just do their fucking jobs properly? And by media I mean all the media.

I'm talking about problems being solved by politicians..

...and I concur with regard to the media...

Absolutely. And the Boston Tea Party led to the revolution and your FF's writing up a few interesting documents. So what were you inferring when Greenbeard made the connection and you answered with the moniker? What was the point of your answer?

My point... the TEA party was an event. The TEA Parties took their name from a related historical event. They did not invoke the name of any individual or group. My point... Maher's said the 'founding fathers would hate' the TEA Parties. My point... Maher's cannot speak on behalf of the Founding Fathers. My point.... Maher's is, again, lying to his audience... and my point... his audience are generally fucking stupid and will take every word he says as fact.

I've made my point.

Taxed
Enough
Already.

No. It's a ridiculous correlation. #1, in the 18th century the issue was taxation without representation. The tea people had representation, they just lost an election and threw a hissy fit. #2, their taxes haven't gone up.

So yes, they chose a patriotic name to create the facade that they were doing something patriotic. In reality, they're just pissing and stomping because they lost an election.

Forum List

Back