Bill Maher - At It Again

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
First - the 9/11 terrorists weren't cowards, now this.

I guess it's all about ratings.

Bill Maher's Remark About Army 'Borders on Treason,' Lawmaker Says
Monday, May 23, 2005

WASHINGTON — A congressman says comedian Bill Maher's comment that the U.S. military has already recruited all the "low-lying fruit" is possibly treasonous and at least grounds to cancel the show.

Rep. Spencer Bachus, R-Ala., takes issue with remarks on HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher," first aired May 13, in which Maher points out the Army missed its recruiting goal by 42 percent in April.

"More people joined the Michael Jackson fan club," Maher said. "We've done picked all the low-lying Lynndie England fruit, and now we need warm bodies."

Army Reserve Pfc. England was accused of abusing prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

"I think it borders on treason," Bachus said. "In treason, one definition is to undermine the effort or national security of our country."

In a statement released Monday night, Maher defended his support for the American armed forces.

"Anyone who knows anything about my views and has watched my show knows that I have nothing but the highest regard for the men and women serving this country around the world," Maher said in the statement.

Bachus said he was appalled after watching a rerun of the show shortly after returning from a visit to Germany, in which he met with a paralyzed American soldier in the hospital. He has since written to Time Warner, HBO's parent company.

"I don't want [Maher] prosecuted," Bachus said. "I want him off the air."

Numerous television stations pulled Maher's previous show, "Politically Incorrect," from the air in September 2001 after he argued terrorists weren't cowards when they slammed airplanes into the World Trade Center a week earlier. Maher later apologized.

Maher is a dumbass. As anyone who has served knows, there are a few dirtbag soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines, but they are the exception, not the rule.

At the same time, I sure wouldn't call his remarks treasonous. I do hope it's a good reason to put him off the air, though.

I love his statement:

"Anyone who knows anything about my views and has watched my show knows that I have nothing but the highest regard for the men and women serving this country around the world," Maher said in the statement.

The highest regard? Saying the things you do reflects the highest regard?

I'd hate to see what he would say if he didn't like the military.

Bill Mahr - e scifo.

He's working toward a specific audience. I guess he really wants to attract former students of Ward Churchill to his fan club.

I watch Bill Maher's show every week...I like to make sure I am keeping up on both sides of the debate.

Maher is an amusing idiot...nothing more. To remove his show from the air for saying something idiotic would be a grave injustice to the 1st Amendment. Saying that Lyndie England and others like her are "low-lying fruit," may be in poor taste, but they are not treasonous.

The troops, not the few assholes that DO exist and DO serve in our military, but the rest of them, the good men and women serving our nation proudly, know damn well that Maher is not on their side, does not support them, does not speak for them...most I have spoken with, or watched his show with simply sigh and say...well, I guess I'm fighting for his right to be an asshole.

First I would like to caution you that people like Bill M are free to express their opinions and trying to take him off the air is extreme, censorship and unAmerican.

Fasism
1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism. From the prominent displays of flags and bunting to the ubiquitous lapel pins, the fervor to show patriotic nationalism, both on the part of the regime itself and of citizens caught up in its frenzy, was always obvious. Catchy slogans, pride in the military, and demands for unity were common themes in expressing this nationalism. It was usually coupled with a suspicion of things foreign that often bordered on xenophobia.

I used to read salon.com everyday. It is supposed to be a progressive site and progressives are supposed to be tolerant. Now the only people who write for salon are Jews. Bill Maher writes for salon. I don't know why. He's not particularly bright but I suppose he fits right in there. His mother is Jewish, his father Irish.

Maher wrote in one of his articles there that if people in the south didn't vote for John Kerry everyone would think we were stupid. It is such an insulting thing to say that in itself its suggests that he and others already think we're stupid.

Then he went on to suggest we are fools for having Civil War reenactments. He stated that we lost that war and asked why in the world we would want to reenact a war we lost. the Civil War is American history.

Do you think if I wrote an article and told Jews that they are stupid to remember the nazi holocaust because they died in it that i would get published at salon or anywhere else?

This is the very kind of thing that chases people out of the Democratic Party. There is a small clique that exists in NYC and CA and they are fasinated with one another and think they know what is best for everyone else. They give liberals a bad name. Nobody between NYC and CA could possibly have anything in common with these people. They don't speak for us. I'm not leaving the Democratic party because of them though. I want to take it back from them. I think Maher and others like him should form their own Likud Party right here in this country and let everybody know what they stand for and leave the Democrats alone.

I certainly don't think he should be censored. I don't like him or agree with him but he has as much right to have his say as bill O'riely. Given what republicans did to clinton I don't think you have a right to be outraged at anything.

Furthermore the US Army does not belong to Republicans. My tax dollars support it the same as yours do. In addition to that it was the republicans who sought to cut benefits to families of soldiers at the very moment they were under fire in Iraq and Afganistan. It is republicans who want to cut health services and benefits for veterans.

Please don't ask that I supply links. Do a google search and find the information yourselves. I know this happened because I watched the debate on C-Span. Democrats pleaded, cajoled and prodded but republicans said we didn't have the money for these things.

GotZoom said:
Bill Maher: "We've done picked all the low-lying Lynndie England fruit, and now we need warm bodies. Anyone who knows anything about my views and has watched my show knows that I have nothing but the highest regard for the men and women serving this country around the world".

classic logic from the left....should we forgive him?

yeula said:
First I would like to caution you that people like Bill M are free to express their opinions and trying to take him off the air is extreme, censorship and unAmerican.

Fasism
1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism. From the prominent displays of flags and bunting to the ubiquitous lapel pins, the fervor to show patriotic nationalism, both on the part of the regime itself and of citizens caught up in its frenzy, was always obvious. Catchy slogans, pride in the military, and demands for unity were common themes in expressing this nationalism. It was usually coupled with a suspicion of things foreign that often bordered on xenophobia.

Calling for a TV station to take someone off the air is fascist? Earth to yeula: we live in a capitalistic society, in which we are free to spend our money in whatever way we choose, and if we are upset with the company that we give money to, we can 1) lobby the company to improve their product (i.e. take Bill Maher off the air) or 2) quit buying. I'm sure that HBO will realize this.

Also, I should point out that while Bill Maher has the right to say whatever he wants, he doesn't have the right to have his own TV show, and I have the right to call him a dumbass because of his opinions.

I used to read salon.com everyday. It is supposed to be a progressive site and progressives are supposed to be tolerant. Now the only people who write for salon are Jews.

What an intolerant statement from someone who supposedly values tolerance. :rolleyes:

I agree with Yeula that removing Maher from the air would be an act of censorship blatantly in violation of his rights of free speech and expression.

However, I completely agree with GOP Jeff, that if HBO starts to see dwindling ratings or outright protests at Maher's tv show, and they choose to take his show off the air to please their viewers...then that is the will of the people...a beautiful example of the Constitution in action.

Maher has the right to say whatever crazy, nonsense he wants. And the people who pay for HBO have every right to STOP paying for HBO until Maher is taken off the air.

Gem said:
I agree with Yeula that removing Maher from the air would be an act of censorship blatantly in violation of his rights of free speech and expression.

I disagree. Nobody has the right to blab on HBO about what they think. You have the right to free speech, but not the right to be nationally televised exercising that right.

GOP Jeff Wrote:
I disagree. Nobody has the right to blab on HBO about what they think. You have the right to free speech, but not the right to be nationally televised exercising that right.

If HBO is willing to give you the air time, then you absolutely have the right to use that time to insult the US military, the President, the Government, your neighbors, or just about anything else you would like (There are, of course, exceptions, however we aren't discussing them here).

Bill Maher has a contract with HBO to host a talk-show in which he spouts left-wing nonsense...some of which is highly offensive to those of us with a brain...however, if HBO chooses to continue to pay him and keep him on the air then that is their right...and as long as his contract with HBO allows him to do so, he can say whatever he wants on that show.

If HBO, however, decides that it is no longer profitable to keep him on the air because viewers are cancelling their subscriptions due to Mahers rhetoric...then that is their right, and is in NO WAY a violation of his freedom of speech.

Gem said:
If HBO is willing to give you the air time, then you absolutely have the right to use that time to insult the US military, the President, the Government, your neighbors, or just about anything else you would like (There are, of course, exceptions, however we aren't discussing them here).

Bill Maher has a contract with HBO to host a talk-show in which he spouts left-wing nonsense...some of which is highly offensive to those of us with a brain...however, if HBO chooses to continue to pay him and keep him on the air then that is their right...and as long as his contract with HBO allows him to do so, he can say whatever he wants on that show.

If HBO, however, decides that it is no longer profitable to keep him on the air because viewers are cancelling their subscriptions due to Mahers rhetoric...then that is their right, and is in NO WAY a violation of his freedom of speech.

Gem, I think the first phrase of your post says it all. If HBO likes it (i.e. if it's profitable for HBO) then he can keep on spouting it. Butif HBO gets a backlash of discontented subscribers or threatened cancellations, they are going to drop Maher like last week's garbage.

Again, Bill Maher has the right to say whatever he wants. He does not have the right to get to be on TV.

yeula said:

Actually, quite the opposite. No one is saying he can't say what he wants. They are just saying they have the right to point out that he is an idiot and demand that he be taken off the tv for more appropriate and educational television, like a show on watching paint dry. This is the America at its greatest.

And btw, as anyone who understands censorship would know, it's impossible for their to be censorship and violation of a person's first amendment rights if the government isnt involved in taking them away. If consumers do not want to support the show anymore and want to demand a privately owned tv station not to air that show, it's not censorship. It's satisfying the demands of the market.

Fasism

Yeah, heaven forbid anyone suggest we be united for good causes like spreading freedom around, or demanding garbage not be broadcast into our homes. We are so freakin evil. How dare we actually speak out minds and advocate for our causes and have the audacity to refute the people who oppose us. Heaven forbid we expect the citizens of the united states to be united.

I used to read salon.com everyday. It is supposed to be a progressive site and progressives are supposed to be tolerant. Now the only people who write for salon are Jews. Bill Maher writes for salon. I don't know why. He's not particularly bright but I suppose he fits right in there. His mother is Jewish, his father Irish.

What's wrong with jews? Aren't you the one complaining about fascists? One of the big attributes of fascism is anti semitism.

Maher wrote in one of his articles there that if people in the south didn't vote for John Kerry everyone would think we were stupid. It is such an insulting thing to say that in itself its suggests that he and others already think we're stupid.

Hence, why people think he is an @$$ and deserves to be taken off the air. You have no problem with him speaking out, why do you have a problem with those against him speaking out against him? And what are you talking about we? You are the one claiming that Bush was not elected and stole the last two elections. You obviously didnt vote for the President.

Then he went on to suggest we are fools for having Civil War reenactments. He stated that we lost that war and asked why in the world we would want to reenact a war we lost. the Civil War is American history.

How exactly can we lose a war against ourselves?

Do you think if I wrote an article and told Jews that they are stupid to remember the nazi holocaust because they died in it that i would get published at salon or anywhere else?

Maybe not at salon, but Im sure there are some neo nazi publications that would print your bosh.

This is the very kind of thing that chases people out of the Democratic Party. There is a small clique that exists in NYC and CA and they are fasinated with one another and think they know what is best for everyone else. They give liberals a bad name. Nobody between NYC and CA could possibly have anything in common with these people. They don't speak for us. I'm not leaving the Democratic party because of them though. I want to take it back from them. I think Maher and others like him should form their own Likud Party right here in this country and let everybody know what they stand for and leave the Democrats alone.

they arent a small clique. They are the mainstream of the Democrat party. And you are right there with them. You don't seem to understand that almost all the leaders of the Democrat party are among this extreme left group. In fact, the only guy who I would say isn't is Lieberman.

I certainly don't think he should be censored. I don't like him or agree with him but he has as much right to have his say as bill O'riely. Given what republicans did to clinton I don't think you have a right to be outraged at anything.

And people have a right to disagree with him and get him fired if that is how they want to exercise their free speech. He does not have the right to spout his views on national television. that is a privilege of those who actually have something that people want to listen to.

Furthermore the US Army does not belong to Republicans. My tax dollars support it the same as yours do. In addition to that it was the republicans who sought to cut benefits to families of soldiers at the very moment they were under fire in Iraq and Afganistan. It is republicans who want to cut health services and benefits for veterans.

BS. and you know it.

Please don't ask that I supply links. Do a google search and find the information yourselves. I know this happened because I watched the debate on C-Span. Democrats pleaded, cajoled and prodded but republicans said we didn't have the money for these things.

Ill take this as the simple fact is you are too lazy and know you can't support yourself.

Maher is a moron. But like myself, dont pay for HBO if you feel he is that much of an idiot to you. If their subscriptions are down they will try to ponder why. You dont even need to tell them "Because of Maher". Simply dont subscribe to HBO. Who needs it now anyway? They have half assed TV shows and 2nd run B-movies most of the day. Occasionally they'll have an A-film but rarely.

Bottomline, if we try to shut up all the idiots by writing letters to the companies, then we'll have some tired hands. Simply stop watching their networks and they iwll get the message through ratings.

insein said:
Maher is a moron. But like myself, dont pay for HBO if you feel he is that much of an idiot to you. If their subscriptions are down they will try to ponder why. You dont even need to tell them "Because of Maher". Simply dont subscribe to HBO. Who needs it now anyway? They have half assed TV shows and 2nd run B-movies most of the day. Occasionally they'll have an A-film but rarely.

Bottomline, if we try to shut up all the idiots by writing letters to the companies, then we'll have some tired hands. Simply stop watching their networks and they iwll get the message through ratings.

I don't pay for HBO either. it comes in free.

Forum List

Back