Bill Gates comes out swinging!

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
Good for Bill Gates! He is coming out publicly about what he thinks is wrong with the educational systems "long held norms"

Gates challenged some long-held assumptions about education. He said the U.S. spends $50 billion a year on automatic salary increases for teachers based on seniority, but, according to Gates, "Seniority seems to have no effect on student achievement."

Gates also questions spending $15 billion a year on salary bumps for teachers who get advanced degrees.

"Such raises have almost no impact on achievement," he said.

Bill Gates on Education: Microsoft Founder Says Schools Not Teaching and Teachers Getting Pay Raises - ABC News

I do not see how the skill of a teacher can go against the size (accidentally said side lol) of a class. I despise having the class sizes we do, it only causes issues. The kids group up with their friends and either talk all class, start problems with other students, or just spend too much time socializing.

I like the idea of video taping classes to see what method works best, but it seems like it has a lot of luck to it too. I mean, if one teacher is just better then another, then their method will appear to be better then the other's, does that make sense to anyone but me? I hope I'm not being stupid here :(.

Also, I understand the efficient use of state budgets, that is something I think should have a lot more focus then it currently does.

You don't appear stupid, you are stating your views.

A lot of industries pay more for advanced education. Why would the education industry not?

I wonder what Gates has against obtaining education?

Forum List

Back