Bill Cosby: Blacks can't speak English

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Finally! A prominent African-American is speaking out! I hope the masses of the African-American community will listen!

FULL ARTICLE

Cosby said, according to Leiby: "Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids – $500 sneakers for what? And won't spend $200 for 'Hooked on Phonics.'

He added: "They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

The Post said Cosby also targeted imprisoned blacks.

"These are not political criminals," he said. "These are people going around stealing Coca-Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake and then we run out and we are outraged, [saying] 'The cops shouldn't have shot him.' What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

Cosby more or less statesthe obvious.
My inerpretation, growing up in and around neighborhoods which were predominantly balck or hispanic, is this people's language is a reflection of what they here around them.

Add to that the facts that during slavery times blacks actually developed their own language(s) so the master couldn't understand them, and much of their language today has developed along those lines.

Watcha think?

Originally posted by nycflasher
Add to that the facts that during slavery times blacks actually developed their own language(s) so the master couldn't understand them, and much of their language today has developed along those lines.

Watcha think?

Me thinks not! Blacks of 50 years ago (hell, even 25 years ago) had a grasp on the English language. In the slave days, they did not have to create their own language, as they already had their languages from Africa. It has only been in the last 20 years with the advent of "ebonics" and rap music that this has gotten so bad. Why is it that the older African-Americans in this county (Bill Cosby, etc.) have a good grasp on the language but the younger generations do not? Have you ever listened to audio tapes of Martin Luther King? He never sounded like this blabber you hear out of the younger black Americans of today! Since he was speaking to the African American communities at the time, why didn't he say, "I'z gotta drem. . . . " or "I'z been to da moutin top"?

Originally posted by freeandfun1
Me thinks not! Blacks of 50 years ago (hell, even 25 years ago) had a grasp on the English language. In the slave days, they did not have to create their own language, as they already had their languages from Africa. It has only been in the last 20 years with the advent of "ebonics" and rap music that this has gotten so bad. Why is it that the older African-Americans in this county (Bill Cosby, etc.) have a good grasp on the language but the younger generations do not? Have you ever listened to audio tapes of Martin Luther King? He never sounded like this blabber you hear out of the younger black Americans of today! Since he was speaking to the African American communities at the time, why didn't he say, "I'z gotta drem. . . . " or "I'z been to da moutin top"?

Well, MLK and Ludacriss would be two extremes.
I think there is a corellation between education(specificly of inner-city youth) and grammar.

Ya heard?:D
Those who feel oppresed usually reject convention.
Hip-hop is a revolutionary music. This is an incontrovertible fact.

I will say, though, that a revolutionary who speaks for/to the people BUT does it well(a la King) is better heard.

edit: and I can name SEVERAL well-spoken rappers. We can't help what the radio plays or music industry pushes any more than we can control what the media presents us with. No?

I think there is a corellation between education(specificly of inner-city youth) and grammar.

I will say, though, that a revolutionary who speaks for/to the people BUT does it well(a la King) is better heard.

edit: and I can name SEVERAL well-spoken rappers. We can't help what the radio plays or music industry pushes any more than we can control what the media presents us with. No?

You might be too young to remember, but about 10 or 15 years ago the Oakland School board wanted to push Ebonics as a serious language to be taught in school. That is all I am saying. Rejecting convention is only going to make them more oppressed as they will not be able to fit into mainstream society. Frankly, it just sounds like a good excuse to me. But that is JMHO!

Are there any African Americans (or blacks from anywhere) that would like to add their thoughts on this? I am curious to see if Bill is just an aberration or if others feel this way......

Originally posted by freeandfun1
You might be too young to remember, but about 10 or 15 years ago the Oakland School board wanted to push Ebonics as a serious language to be taught in school. That is all I am saying. Rejecting convention is only going to make them more oppressed as they will not be able to fit into mainstream society. Frankly, it just sounds like a good excuse to me. But that is JMHO!

Thanks. :p:

I lived less than 20 miles from there. When, at that time, Oakland had the highest murder rate per capita, they closed down the schools due to teacher shootings, and sent the kids to MY school.

This reminder gave me real fun flashbacks.

Cosby is absolutely correct. For anyone that doubts, he CAME FROM the environment he is talking about. He pulled himself out of the garbage and became a great example.

The I.Q.'s of American Negroes are from 15 to 20 points, on average, below those of American Whites.

Equalitarian ideologists often discount I.Q. test results with the excuse that they are culturally biased. Nonetheless, NO ONE, not the NAACP nor the United Negro College Fund, nor NEA had been able to develop an intelligence test which shows Blacks and Whites scoring equally.

American Indians, who often live in conditions far worse than American Blacks during their entire lives, still consistently outscore them on I.Q. tests.

Nothing anyone does or says will change the way blacks talk or behave, this is all natural for them and you can't change nature.

Originally posted by Big D
The I.Q.'s of American Negroes are from 15 to 20 points, on average, below those of American Whites.

Equalitarian ideologists often discount I.Q. test results with the excuse that they are culturally biased. Nonetheless, NO ONE, not the NAACP nor the United Negro College Fund, nor NEA had been able to develop an intelligence test which shows Blacks and Whites scoring equally.

American Indians, who often live in conditions far worse than American Blacks during their entire lives, still consistently outscore them on I.Q. tests.

Nothing anyone does or says will change the way blacks talk or behave, this is all natural for them and you can't change nature.

Were these tests taken 100 years ago?

But what is the revolution? The revolution is just hyping street immorality to sell records. The families have broken down and the twisted and antisocial themes of rap have become a substitute for ethics, and the overstyled lingo of fictional street hustlers has become their conversation convention. From their lips to gods ears. God save us all. Bill Cosby agrees. Is he a racist?

Nope, Just Today.

Then your statement :

"American Indians, who often live in conditions far worse than American Blacks during their entire lives, still consistently outscore them on I.Q. tests.

Nothing anyone does or says will change the way blacks talk or behave, this is all natural for them and you can't change nature."

Holds no water.

Originally posted by NewGuy
Then your statement :

"American Indians, who often live in conditions far worse than American Blacks during their entire lives, still consistently outscore them on I.Q. tests.

Nothing anyone does or says will change the way blacks talk or behave, this is all natural for them and you can't change nature."

Holds no water.
What is your point?

American Indians have always lived in worse conditions then blacks have for all there lives, and have always scored higher then blacks in testing.

And because that is nature, this will not change.

Thats mine.

Add to that the facts that during slavery times blacks actually developed their own language
Watcha think?
It must be nice to live in a world where you can just make anything up.

What is your point?

American Indians have always lived in worse conditions then blacks have for all there lives, and have always scored higher then blacks in testing.

And because that is nature, this will not change.

Thats mine.

Here's his idiotic point Big d: He was saying that since these tests were from "just today", how could they prove Indians have consistently scored higher. a set of data limited to the timeframe of "just today" would not be a sample large enough to support your sweeping assertion. See how juvenile? Don't sweat newguy, he's lame.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Here's his idiotic point Big d: He was saying that since these tests were from "just today", how could they prove Indians have consistently scored higher. a set of data limited to the timeframe of "just today" would not be a sample large enough to support your sweeping assertion. See how juvenile? Don't sweat newguy, he's lame.

You have made my point quite well.

And if I am lame, that doesn't say much for you two.

RWA and Big-D. -An alliance. :rolleyes:

Thanks RWA, I did'nt know what he was trying to say, I gave him too much credit.

Hey Newguy, were you faking being stupid?

Originally posted by NewGuy
You have made my point quite well.

But you know that when big d said "just today" that he meant that to mean "ongoing continually in the field of standardized testing since it's inception up until today". yet you formulated a critique of something you KNEW he didn't mean. That's crap debating.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
But you know that when big d said "just today" that he meant that to mean "ongoing continually in the field of standardized testing since it's inception up until today". yet you formulated a critique of something you KNEW he didn't mean. That's crap debating.

No, it is having fun at ignorance's expense.

He missed the whole dang thing.

:D :p:

Forum List

Back