Bill Clinton's great regret: race disparity in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Stephanie, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,360
    :cry: :puke3:
    DEVLIN BARRETT

WASHINGTON

Former President Bill Clinton said one of his ''great regrets'' was failing to do more to bridge the economic and social gaps between white and black people in the United States.

Speaking to a black think tank on Tuesday, the former U.S. president offered a somber, sorrowful reflection on the end of his time in the White House and his failed effort to spark a national debate about race relations.

The current debate in the U.S. over immigration, Clinton told the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, is further proof important racial problems have yet to be solved.

''The idea that I live in a country I spent my lifetime trying to make better, but there's still hundreds of thousands, maybe millions ofpeople, most of them people of color, who will die before their time, drop out of school, go to prison, never have a chance to live their dreams, is galling and painful to me,'' Clinton said.

''One of the great regrets of my public life is that for all the progress we made in so many areas we are still losing so many of our young people of color, disproportionately African-American males,'' he said.
    The former president urged private citizens to take action on racial issues, saying disasters like the tsunami in Asia and Hurricane Katrina show non-governmental organizations can rebuild and improve society.

''I don't know how you have a great country that is a beacon of hope for the world for peace and freedom and democracy if you let a third of any group of people wind up going to prison sometime in their lives,'' said Clinton.

A 2005 government report found that 8.4 percent of the country's black men between the ages of 25 and 29 were in state or federal prison, compared with2.5percent of Hispanic men and 1.2 percent of white men in the same age group.

Blacks made up an estimated 41 percent of inmates with a sentence of more than one year, the report said.

Clinton's reflective tone came at the end of a mostly upbeat speech peppered with funny political anecdotes and self-deprecating references to old battles. At one point, the former president said he's ''already made enough people mad in my life.'' At a New York City fundraiser the previous night, Clinton referred to himself as ''the world's most famous sinner'' _ a line he has used before to refer to the affair with Monica Lewinsky that led to impeachment. http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?at_code=323406

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,211
    I doubt that, Im willing to bet Bill Clintons biggest regret is that he couldnt run again.

He had no real leadership ability. people werent inspired to follow him. His example sure wasnt one the american people want to Emulate.

I mean atleast President Bush has potential to be a great leader. it be nice if he lived up to it fully. But the potential is there. President Clinton never even really bothered to try.

3. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,250
    This is the guy that came from nowhere to be be president for two terms. This is the guy that nobody gave a chance of winning in 92 and came through. This is the guy whose charisma turned naysayers into those who voted for him. You can tell me the guy has the morals of a sewer rat and you'll get no argument from me, but no real leadership ability? pppfffftttt

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    I don't know if that's his regret. He's doing wonderful work now and his heart problems probably wouldn't allow it anyway. I think putting Bush up against Clinton would probably be interesting. The guy with the 30% approval rating against the guy who's the most popular politician in the country/world and who left office (even after the so-called "impeachment") with an approval rating about twice that. ;)

I don't need to "emulate" the president. I just don't want him to be sub-literate and embarrassing with horrible decision-making skills.

I haven't seen any leadership ability on Bush's part. He had every opportunity, after 9/11, to get the American people to follow him. He squandered that opportunity and now has only about 1/3 of Americans even supporting him, much less following him.

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    He's doing wonderful work now??? At what?

Care to prove that the current President is "subliterate" as you imply?

You say that poor decision making skills is embarassing yet find nothing embarassing about a president who has no morals, scruples or integrity?

*sheesh*

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Pardon me while I take some time to cry for Bill.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

What a drama king !!

7. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    "Nucular"? "Misunderestimate"? I guess this stuff is not illiteracy but it's not a good grasp on English either.

8. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Literacey involves more than pronunciation and spelling. There are some on this board who are far more "subliterate" than the current President.

Again, if that is all that causes embarassment amongst the Bush haters, then I really am in awe of their shallowness.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    For some reason I don't think he cares

10. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Wrong answer. You are supposed to say that you much prefer the guy who cannot define the word "is".