Bill Clinton will suck the oxygen out of the Kerry Campaign this summer

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Clinton's Memoirs to Be Released in June
By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer

NEW YORK - The suspense is over, almost. Former President Clinton (news - web sites)'s memoirs will be published in late June, and promotion will begin a few weeks earlier with a speech at BookExpo America, the industry's annual convention.

"It is the fullest and most nuanced account of a presidency ever written, and one of the most revealing and remarkable memoirs I have ever had the honor of publishing," Sonny Mehta, president and editor-in-chief of Alfred A. Knopf, said in a statement Monday.

"He talks with candor about his successes, as well as his setbacks, looking at both his career in public service and his life."

The book, for which Clinton received a reported $10 million to $12 million, will be called "My Life." Knopf is planning a first printing of 1.5 million, a realistic number given the success of "Living History," the memoirs of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (news - web sites).

Nearly 1.7 million copies of the hardcover of "Living History" are in print and a 525,000 first printing was announced for the paperback, which just came out.

If the former president should fail to sell more books than the first lady, he won't be alone. Memoirs by Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) both proved less popular than those written by their wives.

No precise date has been set for the book, which Clinton is still completing. Details on the book's length, cover and promotional tour are also being worked out. One event has been scheduled: Clinton will speak at BookExpo America, which takes place in Chicago from June 3-6. Then-first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke at BookExpo in 1995.

Like Bob Woodward's "Plan of Attack" and Richard Clarke's "Against All Enemies," Clinton's book will likely make its way into the presidential campaign, especially if the former president defends his record on fighting terrorism.

The book was edited by Robert Gottlieb, who has worked with such Pulitzer Prize winners as Robert Caro, Toni Morrison and Katharine Graham (news - web sites).

But it will be an admittedly hurried production, with Knopf having just two months to convert the manuscript into a finished book, a process that often takes several months.

Full Story

Poor Kerry, he can't get a break.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Clinton's Memoirs to Be Released in June
By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer

NEW YORK - The suspense is over, almost. Former President Clinton (news - web sites)'s memoirs will be published in late June, and promotion will begin a few weeks earlier with a speech at BookExpo America, the industry's annual convention.

"It is the fullest and most nuanced account of a presidency ever written, and one of the most revealing and remarkable memoirs I have ever had the honor of publishing," Sonny Mehta, president and editor-in-chief of Alfred A. Knopf, said in a statement Monday.

"He talks with candor about his successes, as well as his setbacks, looking at both his career in public service and his life."

The book, for which Clinton received a reported $10 million to $12 million, will be called "My Life." Knopf is planning a first printing of 1.5 million, a realistic number given the success of "Living History," the memoirs of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (news - web sites).

Nearly 1.7 million copies of the hardcover of "Living History" are in print and a 525,000 first printing was announced for the paperback, which just came out.

If the former president should fail to sell more books than the first lady, he won't be alone. Memoirs by Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) both proved less popular than those written by their wives.

No precise date has been set for the book, which Clinton is still completing. Details on the book's length, cover and promotional tour are also being worked out. One event has been scheduled: Clinton will speak at BookExpo America, which takes place in Chicago from June 3-6. Then-first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke at BookExpo in 1995.

Like Bob Woodward's "Plan of Attack" and Richard Clarke's "Against All Enemies," Clinton's book will likely make its way into the presidential campaign, especially if the former president defends his record on fighting terrorism.

The book was edited by Robert Gottlieb, who has worked with such Pulitzer Prize winners as Robert Caro, Toni Morrison and Katharine Graham (news - web sites).

But it will be an admittedly hurried production, with Knopf having just two months to convert the manuscript into a finished book, a process that often takes several months.

Full Story

Poor Kerry, he can't get a break.

Part of the Hil & Bill plan. Re-elect W in 04 so they can reclaim the White House in 08.
Need....:tinfoil: more.... :tinfoil: foil... :tinfoil:

Sorry im going to have to argue with the premises here. In order for Clinton to suck the oxygen out of the Kerry Campaign, the Kerry Campaign needs oxygen to begin with. I dont see how much oxygen Clinton is going to get from a guy thats suffocating.

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
Part of the Hil & Bill plan. Re-elect W in 04 so they can reclaim the White House in 08.
Need....:tinfoil: more.... :tinfoil: foil... :tinfoil:

Actually, I agree with your theory entirely. I have seen this coming since before the Dems had a candidate.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Next question: is anyone going to buy/read it?

I'd be shocked if it doesn't go #1 on NYT's best seller list. Lots and lots of kool ade drinkers out there :cof:

I know the smilie is supposed to be for coffee, me thinks it can be dual use for KoolAde:D

I'd be interested to see what he has to say... I mean, the world has changed a lot since he was in office. I wonder how he will cover things like Whitewater, Filegate, Monica's BJs, the infamous last-minute pardons of Puerto Rican terrorists, and the failures to fight terrorism, not to mention the 2000 election and Hillary's rise to the Senate.

Clinton Steals the Show
By Dick Morris
May 4, 2004 -- BILL Clinton has now been out of office for 39 months. There are but six months to go until the election. Why must he choose June to publish his memoirs?
Why bring them out during the election campaign? Couldn't the $10 million payday wait a few more weeks until the election was over? Obviously, John Kerry would rather that Clinton wait until after the election to publish.

Clinton used to flinch whenever Jimmy Carter spoke in public during his 1992 campaign. Constantly fearful of identification with Carter's presidency, Clinton went out of his way to distance himself from his predecessor.

Al Gore needed to give Clinton a wide berth in 2000, not just because of Monica Lewinsky, but in order to establish his own identity as an "alpha male."

Hillary, too, needed her own space during her Senate race and Clinton cooperated staying on the sidelines, discreetly quiet - and busily raising money - while Gore and Hillary ran their campaigns. So why is Clinton jumping in now?

The impact of Clinton's memoirs on the Kerry campaign cannot have escaped so astute a political observer as our 42nd president. He knows full well what he is doing and what its effect on the Kerry campaign will be.

When Clinton's book hits the shelves, Kerry will not be able to get a word in edgewise. All the stories will be about Clinton, just as the Democratic candidate for president is trying to define his themes and get out his message.

Clinton will, of course, use the book tour to campaign for Kerry. He will knock President Bush and praise the Massachusetts Democrat extravagantly. But nothing will deflect from the attention Clinton will get and Kerry will not. There is only so much oxygen in the room and the president will suck it all up.

Full article

There is only so much oxygen in the room and the president will suck it all up.

Note the time when this thread was posted and the date of Morris's article. Hmmmmm..........

Forum List

Back