Bill Clinton Praises Old Foe Newt Gingrich/kiss of death?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Bill Clinton Praises Old Foe Newt Gingrich.

Clinton continued: “For example, I watched the national security debate last night. And Newt said two things that would make an independent voter say, ‘Well, I gotta consider that.’

“He said, ‘OK, I don’t want to legitimize immigrants who came here undocumented, illegally.’ On the other hand, a lot of those people have been here for years, they worked hard, they paid taxes, they’ve got kids in the schools, they’re not criminals, we’re going to have a hard time sending them all home, there’s millions of them. So, I’d like to have a process where they could be here legally but not have a path to citizenship. That sort of splits the difference between the immigration reforms proposed by President Bush and President Obama, which would give a path to citizenship, and would be a version of what President Reagan did.”

Clinton was impressed that Gingrich devised a “red card” system that would be used to stop normalizing the immigration status of illegals if efforts to control the border proved ineffective.

“That was a thoughtful response,” Clinton said.

The former president also credited Gingrich for innovative thinking in his plan to give workers an option to invest their Social Security retirement funds privately. Gingrich said there should be a guarantee, so that, if markets nose-dive, workers would not receive less than they would have received under the old Social Security system.

“See, that’s a new wrinkle on this,” Clinton said, crediting Gingrich for thinking out of the box. “So he’s always . . . I think he’s doing well just because he’s thinking, and people are hungry for ideas that make some sense.”

If Newt wins the nomination I bet Clinton pulls the lever for him in the general.

• Banned
Another snip-

“He’s articulate and he tries to think of a conservative version of an idea that will solve a legitimate problem,” Clinton told Newsmax

Clinton continued: “For example, I watched the national security debate last night. And Newt said two things that would make an independent voter say, ‘Well, I gotta consider that.’

“He said, ‘OK, I don’t want to legitimize immigrants who came here undocumented, illegally.’ On the other hand, a lot of those people have been here for years, they worked hard, they paid taxes, they’ve got kids in the schools, they’re not criminals, we’re going to have a hard time sending them all home, there’s millions of them. So, I’d like to have a process where they could be here legally but not have a path to citizenship. That sort of splits the difference between the immigration reforms proposed by President Bush and President Obama, which would give a path to citizenship, and would be a version of what President Reagan did.”

Clinton was impressed that Gingrich devised a “red card” system that would be used to stop normalizing the immigration status of illegals if efforts to control the border proved ineffective.

The former president also credited Gingrich for innovative thinking in his plan to give workers an option to invest their Social Security retirement funds privately. Gingrich said there should be a guarantee, so that, if markets nose-dive, workers would not receive less than they would have received under the old Social Security system.

“See, that’s a new wrinkle on this,” Clinton said, crediting Gingrich for thinking out of the box. “So he’s always . . . I think he’s doing well just because he’s thinking, and people are hungry for ideas that make some sense.”

If Newt wins the nomination I bet Clinton pulls the lever for him in the general.

Clinton was always an achiever and he always wanted the everybody to like him. He was being nice about Newt but he would never vote for him. Newt was more than an old foe, he hated the Clintons and everyone knew it.

Bill is great, he's giving Newt a sympathy compliment.

It's an indication of how much Clinton really does hate obama. Clinton for all his warts and bad breath remains VERY popular. Many democrats today are still smarting over the way Hillary was treated by the democrats. Praising Gingrich is a smackdown on obama. That's all it is.

• Banned

Clinton was always an achiever and he always wanted the everybody to like him. He was being nice about Newt but he would never vote for him. Newt was more than an old foe, he hated the Clintons and everyone knew it.

Bill is great, he's giving Newt a sympathy compliment.

Why would he do that? He has nothing to gain and respect of the left to lose. I believe he ment it.

“See, that’s a new wrinkle on this,” Clinton said, crediting Gingrich for thinking out of the box. “So he’s always . . . I think he’s doing well just because he’s thinking, and people are hungry for ideas that make some sense."

Galveston, TX, which Newt cited as an example of what he wants to do with Soc Sec is Ron Paul's district just sayin.

I honestly think Clinton would vote rep. He does not like Obama either does Hilary.

people don't give up power, idiota. neither one of them will ever cast a vote for a repub... especially gingrich who led the charge to impeach bill for a blowjob while he was bonking his aid....

puleeze.

Yet he speaks highly of Newt.

Go figure....

I honestly think Clinton would vote rep. He does not like Obama either does Hilary.

people don't give up power, idiota. neither one of them will ever cast a vote for a repub... especially gingrich who led the charge to impeach bill for a blowjob while he was bonking his aid....

puleeze.

Yet he speaks highly of Newt.

Go figure....

And to have the most popular political figure in the entire nation pay you a compliment can only help.

I see this as an objective critique of Newt's political posturing. Clinton pointed out several things that Newt has done, and is attributing those things to his current success. Nothing here suggests that Clinton likes Newt's ideas, is routing for him, whatever. He's just pointing out why, in his opinion, Newt is doing well right now.

Forum List

Back