Bill Clinton: Hey, let’s have a Ministry of Truth, or something

Eisenhower, the last Republican President who left office with a balanced budget. Promoted a 90% tax rate for the richest Americans. And it worked. No one can say it didn't. Not even the right wing fruit loons.

You're right. We should always have Conservative presidents who balance the budget. Hows that Hope and Changey thing working for you?

I see. So Bill Clinton is now a Conservative President? Or are you stating that Bush 1, Bush 2, and Ronnie had balanced budgets?

Just what the hell are you stating here, Code?

How's the Hopey Changey thing working? Well, it is quite satisfying to have a President who was 'concerned' about Bin Laden. And the Health Care Bill will make it much easier for me to afford medical insurance for a much younger wife as I retire. Then there is the New GI Bill that you Conservatives would not support for our military. Two major disasters in less than a month, both being handled competantly and with cooperation at all levels of government. I would say that it is working out quite well.

Conservative is as Conservative does. Clinton was helped mightily by the Republican Congress in holding down spending and he actively worked to reduce the size of Government and succeeded. Through the luck of the draw, he happened to be in office during an economic boom time, but the guy in the driver's seat gets the credit for the place the bus goes.

Is reduced spending, reduced size of government and business friendly legislation a Conservative or a Liberal party plank? If it's Liberal, somebody should get that email to the Big 0.

The Big 0 is beyond any definition of traditional Political ideologies. He has racked up 23% of the current national debt of the Republic in 0.9% of the life of the Republic. As a driver of the bus, the Big 0 is accelerating toward the cliff.

If a foreign invader had done to us what the Big 0 has done, the war would be over. We lost.

Government should have no part of such a scheme. This is what we have journalists for. What government should have a part in is preventing six or seven corperations from controlling the news. We had laws preventing that at one time.

Expansion of the big is rule of the world right now. However, the rise of the internet gives the small an avenue to be heard widely.

Government control of the media is a recipe for government control of the rest.

Eisenhower, the last Republican President who left office with a balanced budget. Promoted a 90% tax rate for the richest Americans. And it worked. No one can say it didn't. Not even the right wing fruit loons.

You're right. We should always have Conservative presidents who balance the budget. Hows that Hope and Changey thing working for you?

I see. So Bill Clinton is now a Conservative President? Or are you stating that Bush 1, Bush 2, and Ronnie had balanced budgets?

Just what the hell are you stating here, Code?

How's the Hopey Changey thing working? Well, it is quite satisfying to have a President who was 'concerned' about Bin Laden. And the Health Care Bill will make it much easier for me to afford medical insurance for a much younger wife as I retire. Then there is the New GI Bill that you Conservatives would not support for our military. Two major disasters in less than a month, both being handled competantly and with cooperation at all levels of government. I would say that it is working out quite well.

Clinton did not balance the budget.

Actually..that's correct.

Facts do have a liberal bias. It's not about party. It's about taking into account all sides of a story with some level of objectivity.

Cronkite pointed that out rather nicely.

And he was..and still is the gold standard in journalism.

He was, but in the full light of time, is no longer.

It is widely accepted that he ended the Viet Nam war by making an editorial comment during a news report. The Gold in the Standard tarnishes with this, does it not? News reporting and editorial comment are separate and very different components of journalism.

Subsequnt to his retirement, his views were shown to be very Liberal and of course this would filter his choices of what to report and what words and expressions to use when reporting. We know that he editorialized in his reporting from the Viet Nam comments. When else did a story get a different background than might have been justified by fact due to his bias?

All of that said, no human can be unbiased. That's the way we are built. Loyalty and suspiscion is a part of our DNA and they rise from our experience. It's the reason we don't run toward a roaring lion and why we don't believe everthing a salesman says and do respect our friends' opinions.

If you shun FOX news, as you apparently do, then you miss one entire side of many stories or at least the nuance that a different point of view might provide.

Hearing the same story reported on All Things Considered, The CBS Evening news and the Shephard Smith News Show are sometimes exactly the same and sometimes vastly different. Katrina was an example of both.

It's interesting. Not evil. Just interesting.

Shepard Smith and Chris Wallace are exceptions at FOX. So was Major Garrett until he left. And yeah..it's very hard to watch FOX without wanting to throw a shoe at the tv.
And while it's difficult to be unbiased..it's also difficult for humans to do a great many things that humans do quite well. And these skills are acquired through experience and training. It no longer seems to be a requirement to be a trained journalist for many of these outlets.

And as to Cronkite, it was one broadcast that he editorialized..and it was breaking with character. And it didn't end the Vietnam war..but it broke Johnson...who chose not to run for re-election and died shortly after entering private life.

Shephard Smith is a good anchor. Chris Wallace is an excellent interviewer. There are two White House guys for FOX, one white and one black, and both are very good.

I like Brit Hume and Juan Williams and especially enjoy the outrage and exasperation they draw from one another. Krauthammer is quite Conservative and has the tightest logic on TV.

The morning talk show on FOX usually has great legs and short skirts. Soft news if any and light discussion that leans Conservative. The opinion show line up looks like they raided the troop leaders from the local Hitler youth camps. Those shows are scary in their ideology and predictable in their conclusions.

Croinkite was Uncle Wally to most and he was consistant and honest to his own beliefs which people trusted. He was a mirror of the society. He cried when Kennedy was shot and the entire country cried with him.

I thoroughly enjoy the mind games played by the presenters on the news shows. It's fun to see or hear the different treatments that a story gets from a Diane Ream or Mara Liason or Peter Jennings when he was still on air or David Brinkley or Shep Smith.

In spite of everything, I'd love to have another 8 years with an explosively expanding economy, no foreign wars and reduced deficits.

If you can refer me to a place to get some good head examination, I will be pleased to get some good head examination.

Then you must want a Republican House and a Republican Senate.

Lordy, lordy, just look at the 'expanding economy' that we inherited from the GOP from 2001 to 2009. Yep, a Republican Executive, House, and Senate, and we will see the Second Great Republican Depression. They damn near managed it a couple of years ago.

Carefull who you blame/credit for this. The Dems had two years of majority in both houses before the wheels fell off.

Lordy, lordy, just look at the 'expanding economy' that we inherited from the GOP from 2001 to 2009. Yep, a Republican Executive, House, and Senate, and we will see the Second Great Republican Depression. They damn near managed it a couple of years ago.

Uh, you'll have to excuse me, nimrod, but we got a Democrat House and Senate in 2007.

Presidents write the budgets.:doubt:

Presidents propose budgets. The house actually writes the budget that gets "sent up". The last budget in Bush's term was only approved by the Congress for 6 months. Following that the Pelosi led thieves and liars stopped doing budgets.

Uh, you'll have to excuse me, nimrod, but we got a Democrat House and Senate in 2007.

Presidents write the budgets.:doubt:

They submit them. If you want to blame the budget only on the president can you explain why Obama did not have one for this year?

Then you must want a Republican House and a Republican Senate.

remind us when clinton became a republican, please.

Clinton was never a Republican. You don't need to be a Republican to be Conservative. Clinton was a Democrat that consticted the Federal Government, reduced spending as a part of GDP and set the path toward reduced deficits. He was a Conservative by result.

Nixon was a Republican that expanded Federal power, overspent the budget and conducted a reckless foreign policy. He was a Liberal.

If you learn to judge people on what they do and not on what they are labeled, you will be less confused by what has happened.

Bill Clinton lied about getting a blowjob because he was afraid his wife would find out.

That's about the same as nearly every conservative and Republican male in the United States.

Clinton screwed everything with a hole and a heart beat while he was Governor of Arkansas and you actually expect the folks to believe that Hillary, billed as the smartest women in the world, didn't know about it. Unbelievable!

Clinton not only lied to everyone that would listen to him, he sent his cabinet members, both men and women, out into the world to repeat his lie. That is beneath contempt.

Most, if not all conservative or Republican public officials either resign or are forced to do so when caught screwing around. Clinton is a lawyer and even lied to a federal Judge, that cost him his law license and a few bucks.

I consider Clinton a low-life bottom feeder who happens to be an outstanding confidence man. He has you and a lot of other folks fooled.

A stupid idea from a very stupid and immoral man. Anybody who defends Bill Clinton needs to have their head examined.

Which moral standard are you going by to make such a claim?

If you are holding a standard of Bill Clinton vs. Conservative politicians..he holds up rather well with all but Eisenhower.

Any moral standard will do. Clinton has zero character.

remind us when clinton became a republican, please.

Clinton was never a Republican. You don't need to be a Republican to be Conservative. Clinton was a Democrat that consticted the Federal Government, reduced spending as a part of GDP and set the path toward reduced deficits. He was a Conservative by result.

Nixon was a Republican that expanded Federal power, overspent the budget and conducted a reckless foreign policy. He was a Liberal.

If you learn to judge people on what they do and not on what they are labeled, you will be less confused by what has happened.

Nixon had a rather small problem called Vietnam handed to him. I did not approve of the way he got out, but he had very few options.

"From such an unimpeachable source, too!"

Bill Clinton: Hey, let’s have a Ministry of Truth, or something « Hot Air

Everywhere else but Washington, this would qualify as high irony. In the Beltway, however, it only qualifies as another pathetic attack on free speech. Bill Clinton attacked free speech on the Internet yesterday, telling CNBC that it would be “legitimate” for the government to create an agency to discredit political arguments and quash Internet rumors:

Bill Clinton: Create Internet agency - Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

Bill Clinton doesn’t like all the misinformation and rumors floating on the Internet. And he thinks the United Nations or the U.S. government should create an agency to do something about it.

“It would be a legitimate thing to do,” Clinton said in an interview airing Friday on CNBC.

The agency, Clinton said, would “have to be totally transparent about where the money came from” and would have to be “independent” because “if it’s a government agency in a traditional sense, it would have no credibility whatever, particularly with a lot of the people who are most active on the internet.”

Ed Morrissey nails it as per usual. "We have free speech primarily to hold government accountable, not the Internet." Also as per usual... Bill Clinton has the bass-ackwards view. (and a near fatal case of hypocrisy fever) Hey Billy Jeff! Don't go away mad, just go away.

:lol:

That agency is absolutely necessary.

We don't want folks spreading gossip around, such as slick willy having had sex with that woman......Ms Lewinsky.

Forum List

Back