Bill and Melinda Gates Pledge $10 Billion in Call for Decade of Vaccines

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Bill and Melinda Gates Pledge $10 Billion in Call for Decade of Vaccines | Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

DAVOS, Switzerland -- Bill and Melinda Gates announced today that their foundation will commit $10 billion over the next 10 years to help research, develop and deliver vaccines for the world’s poorest countries.
The Gateses said that increased investment in vaccines by governments and the private sector could help developing countries dramatically reduce child mortality by the end of the decade, and they called for others to help fill critical financing gaps in both research funding and childhood immunization programs.

“We must make this the decade of vaccines,” said Bill Gates. “Vaccines already save and improve millions of lives in developing countries. Innovation will make it possible to save more children than ever before.”

Bill and Melinda Gates made their announcement at the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting, where they were joined by Julian Lob-Levyt, CEO of the GAVI Alliance.

“Vaccines are a miracle—with just a few doses, they can prevent deadly diseases for a lifetime,” said Melinda Gates. “We’ve made vaccines our number-one priority at the Gates Foundation because we’ve seen firsthand their incredible impact on children’s lives.”

By significantly scaling up the delivery of life-saving vaccines in developing countries to 90 percent coverage—including new vaccines to prevent severe diarrhea and pneumonia—the model suggests that we could prevent the deaths of some 7.6 million children under 5 from 2010-2019. The foundation also estimates that an additional 1.1 million children could be saved with the rapid introduction of a malaria vaccine beginning in 2014, bringing the total number of potential lives saved to 8.7 million.

If additional vaccines are developed and introduced in this decade—such as for tuberculosis—even more lives could be saved. The new funding announced today is in addition to the $4.5 billion that the Gates Foundation has already committed to vaccine research, development and delivery to date across its entire disease portfolio since its inception.

:clap2: Good for them.

It kind of makes my $5 donation seem insignificant.

In the small picture, perhaps. But in the large picture, 100 million people such as yourself or myself giving even just $5 a year would result in $500 million being raised. Which is nothing to scoff at to say the least.

bill is still going to burn in hell, nothing he can do now will fix it

Now if only more people would do the same and realize that it's through individual citizens doing what they can with the resources given them to help the world around them and not the government that is going to fix the problems of the world.

Never. Not when you add up all the $1, $5, $10 donations. Your one might seem insignificant, but if everyone thought that way almost every charity and foundation would close its doors. You don't fill a piggy bank with a $100 bill, you fill it one coin at a time.

Never. Not when you add up all the $1, $5, $10 donations. Your one might seem insignificant, but if everyone thought that way almost every charity and foundation would close its doors. You don't fill a piggy bank with a $100 bill, you fill it one coin at a time.

That was covered by Dogbert already but thanks for the reaffirmation.

Post count +1

:clap2:

I applaud the Gates and their charitable work. In a time when accumulating wealth at all costs seems to be the norm, the Gates realize there is only so much money they need. Melinda looks for charities where their money can do the most good.

I applaud the Gates and their charitable work. In a time when accumulating wealth at all costs seems to be the norm, the Gates realize there is only so much money they need. Melinda looks for charities where their money can do the most good.

You can't help but applaud them. It really is a great thing they are doing. My first thoughts are "wow, why not do something for people here?" But, even our poorest kids have access to vaccines. It is not only a great thing but also very thoughtful too. It wasn't just "pick a charity and toss em money".

you tend to get money when you build a monoply through paid off politicans, thousand $ an hour lawyers, outsourcing shit to third world countris, and destroy all competition no matter how many lies and laws have to broken.

edit: not to mention blackmailing hardware vendors, government schools, businesses, etc all while charging $500 for a word processor

Bill and Melinda Gates Pledge $10 Billion in Call for Decade of Vaccines | Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

DAVOS, Switzerland -- Bill and Melinda Gates announced today that their foundation will commit $10 billion over the next 10 years to help research, develop and deliver vaccines for the world’s poorest countries.
The Gateses said that increased investment in vaccines by governments and the private sector could help developing countries dramatically reduce child mortality by the end of the decade, and they called for others to help fill critical financing gaps in both research funding and childhood immunization programs.

“We must make this the decade of vaccines,” said Bill Gates. “Vaccines already save and improve millions of lives in developing countries. Innovation will make it possible to save more children than ever before.”

Bill and Melinda Gates made their announcement at the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting, where they were joined by Julian Lob-Levyt, CEO of the GAVI Alliance.

“Vaccines are a miracle—with just a few doses, they can prevent deadly diseases for a lifetime,” said Melinda Gates. “We’ve made vaccines our number-one priority at the Gates Foundation because we’ve seen firsthand their incredible impact on children’s lives.”

By significantly scaling up the delivery of life-saving vaccines in developing countries to 90 percent coverage—including new vaccines to prevent severe diarrhea and pneumonia—the model suggests that we could prevent the deaths of some 7.6 million children under 5 from 2010-2019. The foundation also estimates that an additional 1.1 million children could be saved with the rapid introduction of a malaria vaccine beginning in 2014, bringing the total number of potential lives saved to 8.7 million.

If additional vaccines are developed and introduced in this decade—such as for tuberculosis—even more lives could be saved. The new funding announced today is in addition to the $4.5 billion that the Gates Foundation has already committed to vaccine research, development and delivery to date across its entire disease portfolio since its inception.

:clap2: Good for them.

Blargh! Autism! Mercury! Big Pharma conspiracy! Blargh!!!! Ack!!!!!!!

J/K.

Outstanding move.

Vaccines have eradicated small pox worldwide and polio in this country. Vaccines have knocked off the main culprit behind neonatal meningitis and soon will have eliminated chicken pox and shingles.

That doesn't stop the anti-vax crowd from talking about how evil they are though.

You can't help but applaud them. It really is a great thing they are doing. My first thoughts are "wow, why not do something for people here?" But, even our poorest kids have access to vaccines. It is not only a great thing but also very thoughtful too. It wasn't just "pick a charity and toss em money".

You should look into what he does for public schools all over the US.
I know here in Washington State a lot of schools have recieved computers from his foundations.

I know here in Washington State a lot of schools have recieved computers from his foundations.

of course those machines come with the stipulation that they must run windows and the school district is forced to buy microsoft products such as office.

Gates could have taken his money and bought a small island. Instead, he has used his wealth for good. He and Warren Buffet are great examples of people using their wealth to do good in the world.

you tend to get money when you build a monoply through paid off politicans, thousand $ an hour lawyers, outsourcing shit to third world countris, and destroy all competition no matter how many lies and laws have to broken.

edit: not to mention blackmailing hardware vendors, government schools, businesses, etc all while charging $500 for a word processor
Along with helping support the economy, especially in the Seattle area. There is a reason why Washington State I think is number one or two in having the largest tax payers in the country. And please show me proof where he paid off politicians?

Gates could have taken his money and bought a small island. Instead, he has used his wealth for good. He and Warren Buffet are great examples of people using their wealth to do good in the world.

buffer got it through investing, gates got it by exploitation, nothing gates does will make up for that.

Along with helping support the economy, especially in the Seattle area. There is a reason why Washington State I think is number one or two in having the largest tax payers in the country. And please show me proof where he paid off politicians?

look into the laws microsoft had made regarding software usage and locking in, also look at the attempt to bring them down as a monopoly here and what politicians fought against it. only the EU has really clamped down on them and fined them hundreds of millions and forced them to remove IE and windows media player from install discs distributed in their countries.

buffer got it through investing, gates got it by exploitation, nothing gates does will make up for that.
I am sure his employees feel real exploited when driving around in their BMW's.

Forum List

Back