Biking in America

Which statement most closely reflects your relationship with the bicycle?

• My main mode of transport.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I ride frequently.

• Would ride more often if there were proper trails in my town.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Seldom ride.

• Only for recreation, never for transportation.

• Never ride.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Bicycles? I like to run them over with my Hummer!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nuc

Jul 10, 2005
Sydney, Australia
We've had an interesting thread in this forum about bicycling. Some people have been very vocal despite or perhaps because they don't bike. I'm curious what peoples relationship to the bicycle is.

They're called bike trails for a reason.. If you're not on a bike, stay the hell outta the way. :D

Shattered said:
They're called bike trails for a reason.. If you're not on a bike, stay the hell outta the way. :D

My local bike trail is infested with Russians walking 4 or 5 abreast and creating a roadblock, rollerbladers swerving from side to side blocking the entire trail (they wear headphones, so "on your right!" doesn't work), dog walkers with dogs off leash and intent on getting stuck in my spokes and other hazards. Fun.

nucular said:
My local bike trail is infested with Russians walking 4 or 5 abreast and creating a roadblock, rollerbladers swerving from side to side blocking the entire trail (they wear headphones, so "on your right!" doesn't work), dog walkers with dogs off leash and intent on getting stuck in my spokes and other hazards. Fun.

I'll ride thru bike trails for hours.. But I'm not there "training", or whatever, so I'll damn well stay outta the way, and/or move as necessary.

nucular said:

You wind up on the grass half the time! I know I do!

Said1 said:
Only in your part of town. :smoke:

Ya think?--the bike riders in my side of town better be pretty damn straight when they ride or they will end up under a vehicle with an internal combustion engine.

I don't mind bikers but it's getting a little thick around here with them.
I almost hit three of them this morning. I leave my house around 0630
and head East so this is the time of year where the sun is right in
your eyes. Anyway, came up on a sharp curve (turning North) and sure enough
there they were. I was only going about 20 mph but I couldn't see them until
I turned away from the sun. Good thing I got good brakes, wouldn't hurt if
they would ride somewhere with a bigger shoulder.

When I lived in Denver I spent a lot of time on my mountain bike. The bike paths in Denver are great so it is easy to commute without having to get in the way of vehicles with 4 wheels operated by nimrods that think that they are the only ones who pay taxes.
I know that there are obnoxious bikers but that doesn't excuse the pea brains that take it as a personal insult that they must slow their gas burning vehicle down to the speed limit for 5 seconds while they steer their behemoths around a bicyclist. I drive a truck and ride a bike. I understand that when I see someone on a bike that it means they are not in another vehicle built for 8 sucking fuel and causing excess air pollution or adding to the traffic jams around town. I give them plenty of room and go on with my day.
Now that I live in South Texas I haven't ridden much, it's not very interesting after spending 10 years riding the Colorado Trail almost every weekend. When I do ride, I ride a mountain bike so I don't have to share the road. If there isn't a trail, I'll jump the curb and ride in yards before I risk my life in the street. . . I'm not stupid, some redneck will throw a Budweiser bottle at my head. :smoke:

Forum List

Back