Biggest thing built by private funds?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Toronado3800, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I propose 75,000 seat, $115 million Joe Robbie Stadium as the largest non government subsidized project. After mind you, 15 seconds of thought.

Is this incorrect? What is the free enterprise version of the Manhattan Project?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,700
    Spending lots of money is not an indicator of value, bub. The government is notorious for overspending.

The private sector creates a plethora of goods, services and jobs. It doesn't need to create one Monolithic Thing to be of value.

But if you must have an example: Apple Computer. Market Cap of $326B with 46,600 employees.

The government couldn't remotely do anything like that. All it does is transfer jobs from one sector to another.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I read or heard that about 80+ of jobs are created by small companies not mega companies that build dams and such but the local plumber, painter year man. The gay at the convenience store. The day care center and the list has no end. Why does it have to be big. What is the goal of any business, just to give you a clue it is not size it is to make a profit. That is how you pay bills and hire more people.

4. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Big and small companies create jobs. Big companies may start to move slower with size and hire small companies to do new things for them.

Apple is a big company, no denying that.

Guess I will add General Motors to the list.

Did any private companies build any roadways w/o government contracts? I know I can hire one to pave my driveway on a private level.

Any private companies build a dam to generate electricity to run computers anyplace with their own money?