Biggest loser for factory jobs? Not Detroit

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
There was a brief discussion about losses in manufacturing in another thread. So when I saw this article I decided to post...pretty interesting.

Biggest loser for factory jobs? Not Detroit

Snip...

The Business Journals, a collection of local business journalism publications, recently crunched the numbers and found that 99 of the top 100 labor markets have lost manufacturing jobs over the past few years.

Want to see how bad things are in your area? The publication’s On Numbers column includes a sortable database of the major metropolitan areas, which shows how many jobs were lost in each area between 2008 and 2011.

Not surprisingly, the big losers are also some of the biggest markets, including Los Angeles, which was the biggest loser with a net loss of 89,900 manufacturing jobs since 2008. L.A. was followed by New York City, Chicago and Detroit.

Life Inc. - Biggest loser for factory jobs? Not Detroit

99 of top 100 U.S. markets lose manufacturing jobs since onset of recession | The Business Journals

I'm informed that of the STATES from 2000- 2010, and based on percentage of the jobs in manufacturing that were lost MAINE tops the charts.

Much of this has to do with the decline in the US paper industry, I'll wager.

And the rest of it probably do do with the losses in shoe manufacture and garment industry jobs.

This is a long 32 year trend that we need to END.

fredgraph.png

Forum List

Back