Big whoop...President's Day

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
What does Presidents Day mean anymore? We're honoring all the presidents ever elected? What if we didn't like them or vote for them? :mad:

Today I'm celebrating George Washington for 11 hours. Then I'll celebrate Abraham Lincoln for 11 hours. The last 2 hours I'll celebrate (most of) the other Presidents...whoever they are...can't remember them all...

It still makes me furious that we have a "Martin Luthur King Day" but we no longer have a George Washington or Abraham Lincoln day, two of the greatest Presidents of our country's history. I refuse to celebrate Martin Luthur King Day because of that - it should just be called "Race Day" or something like that. I'd rather we kept it IF we also kept George Washington Day and Abraham Lincoln Day too.

ScreamingEagle said:
What does Presidents Day mean anymore? We're honoring all the presidents ever elected? What if we didn't like them or vote for them? :mad:

Today I'm celebrating George Washington for 11 hours. Then I'll celebrate Abraham Lincoln for 11 hours. The last 2 hours I'll celebrate (most of) the other Presidents...whoever they are...can't remember them all...

It still makes me furious that we have a "Martin Luthur King Day" but we no longer have a George Washington or Abraham Lincoln day, two of the greatest Presidents of our country's history. I refuse to celebrate Martin Luthur King Day because of that - it should just be called "Race Day" or something like that. I'd rather we kept it IF we also kept George Washington Day and Abraham Lincoln Day too.

Well that sounded sorta like my rant last Friday in my class! Not the last part, but the beginning! :teeth:

your right. it just seems like its a crime to celebrate anything a white person has done. all of the sudden its called racist.
whatever

ScreamingEagle said:

Now you're not going to start one of those "not MY president" attitudes, are ya? That's a lib thing.

Just take the day off and be happy.

Merlin1047 said:
Now you're not going to start one of those "not MY president" attitudes, are ya? That's a lib thing.

Just take the day off and be happy.

*Whine* Before 1971 it was 2 days off. :cry: (not that I remember)

But that's not my beef. Nor is the "not my president" thing really my beef either.
It's that we are ignoring the names and birthdays of two very important presidents who should be getting at least as much individual recognition as ML King. There is something really WRONG with that. :mad:

ScreamingEagle said:
*Whine* Before 1971 it was 2 days off. :cry: (not that I remember)

But that's not my beef. Nor is the "not my president" thing really my beef either.
It's that we are ignoring the names and birthdays of two very important presidents who should be getting at least as much individual recognition as ML King. There is something really WRONG with that. :mad:

I don't have a problem with MLK Day, but do think we should honor George Washington, if not Abe. I do know that they are not in the same company as Chester Arthur, James Buchanan, or Jimmy Carter.

There should not be a President's day for a national holiday.

I agree that we should go back to having separate days to honor Washington and Lincoln. Currently the U.S. government only has to pay its employees for one holiday, where formerly it was two. Cheap way to save money and slight two of our greatest presidents on the individual honor they each deserve. (BTW, I saw on TV last night that Lincoln is now regarded by a majority of Americans as our greatest president, with Ronald Reagan coming in second.)

As far as celebrating Presidents' Day is concerned, last Saturday Tim Russert's show on CNBC had a great program on Presidents' Day. Not all past presidents were featured but several were by telling amusing anecdotes about them while they were in office. If you missed the show, perhaps you can find the transcript on the internet.

Adam's Apple said:
Currently the U.S. government only has to pay its employees for one holiday, where formerly it was two. Cheap way to save money and slight two of our greatest presidents on the individual honor they each deserve.

Hmmmm - I had forgotten about that. Now I'm pissed too. :D

Forum List

Back