Big storms down my way - 10 dead!

Yeah some bad here in KY as well.

Not sure how hard hit yet, Story at 11:00 ;)

I'm in KY. These places are just above me. This same system came right through where I live and work. We were just lucky.

My mom lives in Marshfield (20 miles east of Springfield), and she said the worst went just to the north and south of them.

My mom lives in Marshfield (20 miles east of Springfield), and she said the worst went just to the north and south of them.
Best of luck to all near the storms. The weather here has been freaky for a week now; 82 one day after a a high of 62, back & forth. No tornadoes here but the season is upon us.

Twister terror last night...
:eek:
Tornadoes claim 11 lives in US
Fri, Mar 02, 2012 - RIPPED APART: Homes were smashed to bits, cars were tossed into lakes, trees were uprooted and shops were reduced to rubble in towns from Nebraska to Kentucky
A deadly string of tornadoes cut a swath of destruction across the US Midwest, killing at least 11 people and threatening scores more as a massive storm pushed eastward early yesterday. Homes were smashed to bits, cars were tossed into lakes, trees were uprooted and shops were reduced to rubble in towns from Nebraska to Kentucky as the powerful system whipped up strong winds, hail and ominous funnel clouds. The town of Harrisburg, Illinois, was the hardest hit after it was ripped apart by a deadly twister that stayed on the ground for kilometers, striking while most were still sleeping at about 4:30am on Wednesday.

At least six people were killed and more than 100 injured in the southern Illinois town of 9,000. The monster twister packed winds of up to 270kph, and damaged or destroyed up to 300 homes and 25 businesses, smashing a strip mall to bits and tearing a wall off the local hospital. “A lot of the houses are unreal, it’s like a war zone,” fire chief Bill Summers told reporters. Rescue crews were digging through the rubble to search for survivors, but Summers said that by late afternoon all those reported missing had been accounted for.

Harrisburg Mayor Eric Gregg called the destruction and loss of life “devastating,” and vowed to protect and care for those who were hurt and displaced. “Dealing with a tornado like this is heartbreaking,” he said at a press conference. “We will build this city. We will make this city strong. This will not stop us. It will make us stronger.” Angela Capps was among those who sought shelter at the First Baptist Church. A neighbor called her to warn her of the twister, so Capps and her children were able to take cover and escape injury. “We haven’t cried yet, for the kids,” Capps said as she sat with her neighbor, while their children played nearby at the Harrisburg shelter. “I’m sure we’ll go in the bathroom eventually and bawl our eyes out.”

The National Weather Service has received 30 reports of tornadoes in six states since the storm began on Tuesday, battering Nebraska and Kansas, before rolling eastward to Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. Severe thunderstorms pounded Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee on Wednesday, before drifting toward the eastern seaboard. “It’s a very large storm,” said Corey Mead, lead forecaster for the weather service’s storm prediction center on Wednesday.

MORE

See also:

Looks to be a severe weather spring for us after a mild winter, tornado season around here usually starts in April; Henryville and Marysville, Ind. hit hard by an F4 a couple of hours ago across the river (Ohio) from here...

3 killed as storms roar across Midwest, South
2 Mar.`12 – Powerful storms stretching from the Gulf Coast to the Great Lakes flattened buildings in several states, wrecked a small Indiana town and bred anxiety across a wide swath of the country in the second powerful tornado outbreak this week.
Indiana authorities say at least three people have been killed by tornadoes raking the southern portion of the state. Indiana Department of Homeland Security Spokesman John Erickson confirms three deaths in Jefferson County. Widespread damage was reported throughout southern Indiana, where Clark County Sheriff's Department Maj. Chuck Adams said the town of Marysville is "completely gone." Dozens of houses were also damaged in Alabama and Tennessee two days after storms killed 13 people in the Midwest and South.

Thousands of schoolchildren in several states were sent home as a precaution, and several Kentucky universities were closed. The Huntsville, Ala., mayor said students in area schools sheltered in hallways as severe weather passed in the morning.

Storm Prediction Center

Much of the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys are under the greatest threat for severe weather and tornadoes today. Areas in purple are under the highest risk; red areas are in a "moderate" risk, and yellow in a "slight" risk area. At least 20 homes were badly damaged in the Chattanooga, Tenn., area after strong winds and hail lashed the area. To the east in Cleveland, Blaine Lawson and his wife Billie were watching the weather when the power went out and winds ripped the roof off their home. Neither were hurt.

"It just hit all at once," the 76-year-old Blaine Lawson said. "Didn't have no warning really. The roof, insulation and everything started coming down on us. It just happened so fast that I didn't know what to do. I was going to head to the closet but there was just no way. It just got us."

MORE

Last edited:

Forum List

Back